SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_gw

Kitchen leak - what to do besides replace faucet

clueless
17 years ago

On Monday, my kids noticed that our Pergo floor in the kitchen sounded funny when they walked on parts of it (kind of a crackly sound). The same crackly sound is also evident in the hallway floor, which shares a wall with the kitchen. I have determined that the crackly sound is the water under the Pergo, and "crackly" is the only word I can think of to describe the sound.

On Tuesday afternoon I could hear, but not see, water dripping. There was no visible leak anywhere, including under the sink. A few hours later, the faucet started leaking slightly around the spout.

A plumber came on Wednesday. He said we need a new faucet. By this time, the flooring had warped.

The plumber is supposed to come ASAP to replace the faucet (hopefully today or tomorrow). Meanwhile, I turned off the water supply to the sink.

Question #1: Since the water has leaked under the floating floor in both the kitchen and the hallway, what should I do besides replace the flooring? Should I move the base cabinets and see what has happened beneath them since the leak is not only into a cabinet (after the faucet started leaking, I put a pot in the cabinet a captured some water, but before that, there was no visible leak)?

Question #2: Is it possible that the leak is coming from 2 different places -- from the faucet and from a pipe inside the wall? Should I have the wall opened up to check?

I am worried about mold and mildew being present under and behind the cabinets. Also, we had this flooring installed 3 months ago, and we are going to have to replace it (not with Pergo). I don't want to have the replacement flooring ruined by an undetected, continuing leak.

What would you do?

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments (4)