SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Uh-Oh - Haven't Even Started on Kitchen and Had to Replace Faucet

sail_away
12 years ago

As I was working in the kitchen last night, preparing dinner, I noticed that the hose on the pull out sprayer seemed to have sprung some leaks near the sprayer. My first thought was that I'd better be careful to have the sprayer pulled out far enough to make sure it doesn't leak into the cabinet below. My second thought was I'd better make sure it didn't have more leaks farther down the hose. So I carefully opened the cabinet doors and water came streaming out. The hose was, indeed, full of holes. So earlier, when using the faucet without the sprayer, water was pouring into the cabinet.

After much work and a lot of towels, everything was out of the cabinet and the cabinet was as dry as I could get it. My poor DH walked in to find towels all over the kitchen, the things from the cabinet strewn around the kitchen and the empty cabinet left wide open to dry out. Just what he was hoping to find when he walked in the door.

The first idea was to simply replace the hose. However, the way our faucet was connected, it was nearly impossible to remove the hose without destroying the faucet in the process---not a good design. So we're left with no choice but to replace the faucet. But I can't go with DH to pick out the new faucet, as I am sick and caring for a sick child who had already gone to bed.

Thankfully, I had been looking around for a possible replacment for our kitchen faucet that had been giving me trouble in other ways, as well as work in our kitchen once we've given it a bit of a facelift. It was surprisingly difficult to find one that would work in both instances. However, I had seen one faucet at Lowe's that I thought might work. Thankfully, I was able to find it online and print out the information for DH to take with him to Lowes.

Lowes did have the faucet in stock, so he brought it home and installed it. It's probably not my dream faucet, but I do like it. Amazing what a difference it makes to have a faucet that actually works the way it should. I've been complaining for the last couple years about my old faucet and its irritating features.

So I feel like we're on our way---with at least one item changed out in the kitchen. Only probelm is that he couldnt get the old soap dispenser out to replace it with the new, matching dispenser. DH tried every tool he could think of, but it's frozen in place. So I have a brand new, brushed stainless steel faucet with an old built-in chrome soap dispenser next to it. DH says it will come out with the sink, so I'm going to have to learn to live with it until then.

Comments (24)