SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiislp

Emergency Adoption... I think 5-week old puppy. Help!

HawaiiSLP
10 years ago

I am experienced puppy/dog owner, but, in the past, have always gone through a breeder and have gotten the puppy 8-9 weeks old. In my current situation, I came across a box with a puppy in it... abandoned!

I took the puppy and he looks like a mixed small breed, definitely not close to 8 weeks... he's very sleepy, and not eating well yet. I just got him today, so maybe malnourished. I am taking the day off tomorrow to bring him to the vet asap and find out what I should do.

I am posting for in the meantime, in case I can't get to the vet right away... also for any tricks, tips, etc by experienced breeders who've whelped puppies.

Please... any advice is welcome at this point as I am on my own in a new state and my boyfriend (whom I call the dog whisperer) just deployed... I am good too, but this is a new situation and I want to make sure the puppy develops properly.

I was not planning on getting a puppy, and may even bring him to the Humane Society, but would like to keep him. I work full-time about 20-30 min from my house. It's a new job, and a healthcare facility, so I definitely can't bring him with me. I work about 7 hours/day.

Thanks!

Comments (3)