SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Adopting cats (or, "Lord, help me - I'm becoming the crazy cat lady")

IdaClaire
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

As I've shared recently, in June we adopted 9-month old Posy. We absolutely adore this baby girl, who has quickly acclimated to her new home and is very much a little "take charge" personality in our house. She sleeps curled closely at my side each night, and is hangin' with the "big cats", which include two 15-year olds and a 5-year old. Here she is, all tucked into her favorite spot on the bed ...

Although she hangs out with the other cats, they don't play with her, and it is clear that she longs to indulge the playful kitten still inside that growing body. She'll reach for them, actually grab at them, as they walk by. She'll bite their tails. She runs up to them and gets in their faces, all expectant-like. They just look at her rather scornfully and move away. I had thought that Penny (the 5-year old) would eventually play with her, but we've been dealing with stress-induced cystitis with that one ever since our 15-year old Pip passed and Posy came to live with us. That's getting a bit better than it was, but knowing now that Penny is susceptible to such a thing has me keeping a watchful eye on her. She is still on medication for the issue, and we are devoting lots of attention to her to try to assure her that she is "top girl" in the house. Penny seems to have made peace with having Posy around, and I often catch them lounging together, but the two do not play.

DH and I have spoken briefly about the "what ifs" of introducing one more young cat into our mix, so that Posy will have a playmate. We play with her, of course, and she seems quite happy to be living with us now, but I still feel like she needs someone to chase after and wrestle -- you know, all those antics that little ones get up to before they turn into full-fledged adults and are "above" such things, such as our oldsters.

Our two 15-year olds (brother and sister) are really starting to show their age. Breaks my heart to think of the inevitable, but it only stands to reason that we will likely not have them too much longer.

Stupid me - I make the "mistake" of looking at Petfinder for locally-available cats. Last night I came across this little guy, and my heart did a somersault. Isn't he just the most delicious little bundle of baby-boy cat? He even looks quite like Posy, and I can envision them together. Although -- I know there's no guarantee that they would take to one another. However, this little guy's bio does indicate that he is extremely playful and has been well socialized around other cats. Obviously, Posy is good with other cats and longs to play.

So ... Are we nuts to consider taking in ONE MORE? I am truly torn. Four is a good number for us. Five feels like it might be pushing into "crazy cat people" territory (but we've been called worse, I'm sure). Maybe it makes sense to wait a bit, but it also seems that in waiting, Posy is missing out on the play that she is craving. ::sigh:: I just don't know what to do at the moment. I don't want to exacerbate Penny's issues either.

(Although I will admit to sending an email inquiry about this little boy. And of course, I have already named him Percy. Lord help me.)

I know that any little change can completely throw a cat "familial dynamic" out of whack though. (But look at him! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!) So what makes sense? Making a list of pros and cons? (Well, I've already sort of done that above.) Following one's heart or erring on the side of caution and just saying no?

Comments (104)