SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Exterior Finishes Advise

homeagain
14 years ago

We are getting closer to building our next home after several disappointments and re-starts. Our drawings are currently with a builder who is turning them into working plans. The exterior and floor plan are based on the home linked below, however the interior has been changed considerably.

My vision is of an updated farmhouse look, but my husband wants the home to be as low maintenance as possible and would prefer a brick exterior. So our first choice would be to do brick everywhere on the house except for the gabled bump out which would be stone on all three sides.

Our second choice, if cost is over budget, would be a stone foundation and gable, and hardiplank siding everywhere else.

Our third choice would be a brick foundation, stone gable, and hardi elsewhere.

Cost is the major factor. The home will be on a full rear walkout basement, therefore the cost of stone and hardi would most likely be very close to the cost of stone and brick because the labor charge to install stone on the entire foundation would be about three times the cost of installing brick on the same area.

The brick foundation, stone gable and hardi elsewhere would most likely be the least expensive. We are expecting the final bid within the week.

So my question is, which exterior would look the best in your opinion? Can all three be viable contenders? Would the three materials be too much for this style home?

Here is my vision in hardi and stone...

We are also considering doing away with the gable within a gable but haven't yet completely committed to that decision. My cutting and pasting isn't very good..

I would love to be able to do a drawing in stone and brick but paint just isn't up to the challenge.

My brick choices are Hamilton or Notthingham tudor.

Hamilton

Nottingham

With stone similar to this...

Your thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Plan

Comments (4)