SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Addition layout help!

youngdeb
16 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this...let me know if it's not and I'll repost elsewhere. The renovation board doesn't seem to get much traffic and you all are fantastic with the feedback and I need HELP.

We're looking to add another bedroom & bathroom to our 3-br house, and are a bit torn between adding a master suite and adding a pool house. I'm not too terribly worried about resale, I'm more concerned with livability.

The first plan is a master bedroom suite. The advantage to this is that it's huge. The disadvantages are 1) I feel like it's way too close to the pool at 10 feet and 2) the entry is off the den instead of with the rest of the bedrooms, which lie along a hallway. We have a 2-yr old and a 4-yr old in the house, and being that far from their rooms bothers me.

The second plan is to add a master bath to the existing bedroom that lies along the hallway with the other two bedrooms, and then putting in a "pool house/guest quarters" room along the pool. This would be smaller, not as close to the pool (14 ft), and would have an exterior entryway (no entry from the house) unless I put an entry through the master bath (which seems like a weird thing to do, quite honestly.) The advantage is that I get to stay close to the kids' rooms, but the master doesn't look over the back yard and the pool house/guest house doesn't have access through the house.

If you've made it this far, thanks! If I need to repost this somewhere else, please tell me!

Thanks!

Deb

Comment (1)