SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msa62001

75 gallon heater...yet we still run out of hot water

msa62001
15 years ago

We have a huge Rudd gas water heater (the third one since we've moved in; two have been replaced on warranty) but still manage to run out of hot water if two successive showers are taken. Why? The heater is really oversized for our needs (we're five people, generally one shower per day; the builder suggested going big, and we agreed). The propane company that installed it (and has sold us extraordinary amounts of propane along the way...the incredibly high propane usage has been another problem) can't seem to figure it out, and I know as much about water heaters as my Mom did. We do have a pressure tank.

I don't think this should matter, but we don't have terrific flow from the well...but there should be ample time to bring water to the tank during the many hours between water usage, right? The latest suggestion from the guy who installed the heater is that we may need to raise the temperature setting on the heater due to the temperature of the water coming in from the well. But that seems to me like it would be an issue with a tankless heater, not a 75 gallon monster that has plenty of time to heat up water. Am I right?

So what might be the problem here? Thoughts on the high propane usage would be great as well. Thanks!

Comments (9)