SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucymay6_gw

Severe separation anxiety

lucymay6
12 years ago

Hi there...

I have been dealing with my dog's separation anxiety for years. And I am at the end of my rope. Today I took the kids out for a bike ride, and was gone for less than an hour. I left the dog in the basement, with all the doors latched. I came back to a note on the door from the dog officer that he had found her roaming around loose on the street. The basement door was shredded, but not to the extent that she could have gotten out. She is a shepherd-lab mix and the hole was about 6x8" around. I think the only way was that she opened 2 sets of doors in the basement to push out the bulkhead, then jumped over the gate in the yard. She also peed all over the basement while she was at it.

I know that this anxiety is just as difficult for her as it is for me. I love this dog dearly. But I simply can't live like this anymore. I have done all the behaviour approaches that trainers recommend. I talked to our vet who put her on doggie prozac andalprazolam. No effect.

I am debating whether I give this dog up (to whom? I don't know) or try one last effort and invest in a commercial grade crate. She has wiggled her way out of the retail grade steel crates. SO it would have to be INDESTRUCTABLE. And I think I would have to force her into it. I tried last summer reintruducing a crate to her. Tried getting her to just take a nap in a crate and she would not go near the thing. I threw hot dogs in and she wouldn't go in after them.

ANy advice? Anyone know of a very very god crate?

Comments (4)