SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannaca_gw

Opinions on 'neutral' for main living area

joannaca
14 years ago

How come experts say never pick a paint color in a vacuum when contractors have to paint before you move in? We haven't even purchased furniture yet, so I need to go with something neutral that I can live with, and is easy to coordinate with other colors and can be painted over easily when the spirit moves me.

Here is a photo of our main living area pre-remodel. Ignore the kitchen area... it's gone. There will be natural mahogany cabinets in there, if that makes a difference. But all that wood trim around the windows, and the paneling will remain intact. The carpet is gone and we will have light oak floors.

I had planned for the big walls in the dining room and living room to be different colored 'accent walls' but I just can't choose those colors right now.

We are looking at black or espresso leather sectionals but haven't purchased anything yet.

Right now I'm leaning toward a light warm green like SW Celery. Thoughts?

Comments (30)

• ttodd
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great space!!!!!

On my monitor Celery is showing rather minty. If you think the green realm would work for you (and why wouldn't it w/ all of that beautiful wood and nature both indoors and out!) maybe BM Flowering Herb(s?) could work for you. The next one down is Baby Turtle and they both look wonderful w/ wood. They lean on the brown side of green and in my house appeared more brown green during the day and more green by incandescent light at night.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I love green, too, and have it throughout my house. But I found that the wood needs a 'warm' color. That's probably why the browny-greens work well. Don't know Celery, though it's a pretty color on my monitor, but would make sure it has warm tones instead of cool ones.

• Related Discussions

Tile or wood floor in main living areas?

Q

Comments (23)
    There's no wrong answer here: its a subject that occasionally leads to some pretty heated battles, for no good cause. Consider the pros and cons of each as it applies to your own situation, choose accordingly, apologize to no one. I'm using mostly tile for two reasons: First, I know I'd stress over damage to a wood floor, even though I'd try not to; and second, I have a radiant floor and that restricts your wood choices to engineered and quarter sawn. I have seen some nice engineered floors-- check out Khars-- but the wood species selection tends to be fairly narrow, and its hard to find knotty, 'character' type woods. The 'rustic' ones usually means they have sort of a wavy texture that I don't care for. Quartersawn is more dimensionally stable, and I love qs oak for furniture. It's on the soft side for flooring, though, and it's very hard to find a harder wood like hickory in quarter sawn. The tile works for me on several levels. I'm all for low maintenence, and I don't want to worry about potential damage from pets, kids, other people's shoes [I'm a proud member of the Society for Barefoot Living], over watered plants or Christmas trees, aquarium leaks or snowy boots. Wood isn't hard to maintain, but you do need to keep at it on a pretty regular basis. You need to sweep up the inevitable grit etc. frequently so it doesn't act like sandpaper. Tile is much more forgiving of what I like to pretend is 'benign' neglect. I do plan to keep a big persian carpet in front of the LR fireplace most of the year. A simple way to add some visual warmth, and easy to change out as circumstances dictate. Wood will be a little softer for the kids to fall on, but will also be more slippery. A 'shoes off' rule will be almost mandatory while they are small and not able to judge for themselves when the shoes are dirty. Nothing matches wood for visual warmth, but nothing beats tile for long term wearability and ease of care.
    ...See More

Southern Coastal Maine Summer Cottage Paint Colors // Opinions

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't know who made the cabinets - previous owners had them installed. They were about ten years old when we moved in and we started having problems immediately - top hinges coming loose and the door pivoting on the bottom hinge and breaking that. And the hinges are Blum which is a reputable brand. 15 years past that now and haven't been able to replace them - four children to launch into the world. Meanwhile, the chipping and heat-related delamination are accelerating. The townhouse we lived in before that had woodgrain thermofoil cabinets - they were only five years old and they were even worse because the particle board core would actually crumble at hinges and joints. Particle board is weak, weak stuff. And heavy. The other thing about plastic which is what Thermofoil is, is that grease really clings to it. It smudges from your hands and the cooking vapors grease it up. My mother's sixty year old varnished wood cabinets are far easier to keep clean, and the hinges and joints have never failed. Honestly, you're better off with wood cabinets and a laminate counter, than laminate cabinets and granite counter. The granite counter will just make the cabinets look cheap. If budget is an issue now, much easier to upgrade counter later, than cabinets.
    ...See More

Need help decorating main living area

Q

Comments (5)
    I would first find a neutral small rug for in front of the double doors. The eye immediately gravitates to that. The light-colored table behind the love seat is also too conspicuous, especially in contrast with those dark shelves. A carpet like the one in your inspiration picture would blend in much better with the kitchen color. I personally would not put a religious proverb in the living room. I consider religious beliefs to be a more private subject, especially since not everyone may share them. However, this is your personal domain to do with as you choose. Some colorful pillows on the couch would be nice.
    ...See More

Flooring opinions for transition from main area into study

Q

Comments (1)
    There are many rooms that change flooring from carpet to hardwood to vinyl. It is very normal to have different rooms change flooring even though it may not have a door.
    ...See More
  • greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

IMO, this is the best time to pick a full spectrum neutral.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

You're looking for one color to go everywhere? The architectural style really says "white" to me. I love color. I love green. But, I just don't think those walls want to be a color, especially not if you're headed for accent walls down the line. Just make sure you find the right white....maybe a full-spectrum white as GTF suggests.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

I would go with a warm white.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

How come experts say never pick a paint color in a vacuum when contractors have to paint before you move in?

Well, I have a theory about that. :) Experts say to paint last because those kinds of color experts do not know how to do it any other way.

Color choices have to be made in preliminary stages for all kinds of stuff. Heck, sometimes the color has to be established before anything else can proceed. A house is no different.

Part of the problem with the fairy tale of 'always paint last' is that falsely gives a comforting feeling that if I paint last, then I won't ever have to repaint -- this will be my forever wall color. The reality is paint does not last forever and if you are moving into a new home many things will change over time and a desire to recolor and repaint is just ONE of those things. Embracing that you may want to repaint or add more wall color later on is a very wise approach.

You have to color for your now. Choose colors to make your home as comfortable as you can based on the plans that are being completed, or you know will be completed soon -- you can only *see* so far.

Full spectrum color is indeed one of the best color strategies in your situation. Whether it is a color of white or something with hue. You're right that you need something flexible in the way of color, but you can also get flexibility in the way that color is built, or put together in the can, and you get that with full spectrum. And I can tell you why and how that will work.

You have a unique bundle of wavelengths of light beaming into the house from windows and doors and bouncing around the room from light fixtures. That's what makes up the quality of light in your house. That unique - and robustly varied -- quality of light is the only thing you really know for sure right now because the contents of the space are still unknown. You can fit the house with wall colors based strictly on that unique bundle of wavelengths of light and your expectation that the wall color will be "neutral".

How full spectrum paint colors help you do that is because they also have a unique and varied bundle of wavelengths. But instead of beaming wavelengths, they are reflected wavelengths.

If you partner the unique and robust bundle of beaming light wavelengths with a unique and robust bundle of reflected paint color wavelengths, the entire atmosphere will be more flexible -- or could be perceived as being more neutral. The partnership of those robust bundles of wavelengths beaming and then reflecting creates an atmosphere that is adaptable and malleable.

If you use a "regular neutral" paint color, you could very well end up with an atmosphere that is flexible and adaptable too. However, the odds of that happening with a paint color that is not mixed full spectrum are considerably less. Full spectrum colors are mixed and balanced using an amount of colorant from each spectral hue -- the intent is to mimic the full spectrum qualities of natural light. Regular paint colors only use on average 3 to 4 colorants which means their reflective qualities and abilities are predictably less robust and *full* compared to FS paint colors.

It's the robust and varied reflective quality of full spectrum paint colors that have better odds of delivering an atmosphere that will gracefully morph and adapt as you settle in and add contents to the space.

After all that 'how & why' it's easy to understand why some color experts and designers prefer to decree that inspiration pieces are required and painting last is the "right" way to do it. Painting last is not the "right" way to choose paint colors; it is simply ONE color strategy that you can choose to use. Sometimes it's simply not possible to paint last and you need to know how to implement alternative color strategies under those circumstances too.

• joannaca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What is a full spectrum white or neutral? Can you give me an example? I can see where white would work, we've just traditionally steered away from it. But this is our first time in a modern style house.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I have to say I agree with the (warm) white or neutral votes.... those gorgeous walls and the big windows should be the stars. Let your color and personality come into the space through art and rugs and pillows.

It's a beautiful space. You're very lucky!

Just my 2 cents.

• kcwith3
    14 years ago

Would go with manchester tan by Ben Moore- perfect neutral, goes with warm pr cool tones- not a dirty tan, very clean color!!

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Since your rooms look to be rather large, I would use a little darker color rather than something light. I like the idea of a warm tan, and maybe an accent wall/different room in the same color tone on the sample card, but darkest color. I'm not in favor of a white, as it can tend to look dirty in the evening light. ;o)

• jay06
    14 years ago

I love color on walls, but in your case, particularly with that great stone fireplace, nice paneling and the wood floors you're putting in, I think a soft white is the way to go. As said above, those features and your windows should be the main focus.

I love your house. Please continue to post photos as work progresses.

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

How does one go about finding a full spectrum paint color? I want a warm tan in LR to complement the burgundy red in my DR, will be using a celery green for accent color, along with brown/gray/black/white in tile, wood, upholstery, pillows, lamps, rugs, plants. Thanks!

• joannaca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions and 'funcolors' for the informative lesson on full spectrum color. I am leery of tan next to the wood paneling. I guess the stone fireplace is kind of tan, and it looks alright. I'm just not sure about the walls. I have a Sherwin-Williams color deck so I guess I'll just take it over to the house and start holding colors up. I saw SW Creamy mentioned several times here and other sites as a nice warm white, so I may get a sample of that and try it out.

In all the houses I've lived in, I've never had white walls. I never thought they could be beautiful. Even when we rent, I get permission to paint... usually BM Waterbury Cream. It's inoffensive to all, but I don't see it in this house. I guess I need to get over my fear of white.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I am a fan of Ellen Kennon's Full Spectrum Paints. The link is below. I'm actually doing a podcast with Ellen tomorrow morning. ICI is the brand of paint she uses for her colors and they have undergone corporate changes so now it's Glidden Professional -- I think. :D I'll get the scoop from her tomorrow and then post a link to the podcast so you guys can hear what she has to say and get an update on what's going on...

joann, the first color I would pull for you would be a full spectrum color from EK (Ellen Kennon) called Mushroom.

I think AMYSRQ has a great take on the room and Mushroom might be close enough to a *white* so it aligns with what Amy was saying, but it also has some color. Mushroom might feel better to you than a *white* would -- even tho white is a good fit for the space, you need to find a color that's a good fit for you too.

The second color I'd throw out there would be Gustavian Gray -- it's not really gray. I feel the fact that you were considering SW Celery, makes Gustavian Gray a good suggestion for you to check out.

If you want to check out FS (full spectrum) whites, here's a list of some good ones from EK:

Rainbow Fog
    White Opal
    Snow
    Classic Cream
    Classic Marc (very warm)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum Paints

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

FC, you rock! Thanks for validating what I said :-)

I guess the reason I said that was because I had to make this same decision when we moved into this house. At the time, I had no clue about FS paints, but fortunately I chose wisely and picked Eddie Bauer Wicker, not a FS color, but one very similar to Mushroom. It changes too. And even though I don't have EK Mushroom here to compare...

This is Eddie Bauer Wicker:
    {{gwi:1637190}}This is EKs Mushroom:

My LR, DR and Entry look like both of these images depending on time of day.

I had to laugh when I read this..."you can only *see* so far"... I guess that depends on how fast you move, LOL! I've had this paint color for 8 or 9 years, touched it up with leftovers 4 months ago - still love it! If $$ were no object I'd have it changed to EK Mushroom... maybe ;-)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

FC, you rock! Thanks for validating what I said :-)

Hey, I try. :~D And you were simply bang-on with what you said.

Truly can luck out and hit on a "regular neutral" that is flexible, but sometimes finding that *magical* regular neutral paint color is like finding a needle in a haystack kinda deal.

It's because of the bundles of light wavelengths that a neutral paint color that someone else found to be magical in their space, turns out to be not so magical looking in another's. i.e. The infamous Tobacco Road, SW's Latte, et al.

When you deconstruct the task of choosing paint colors as they directly relate to atmosphere and environs (maybe even decorating), it's rather simple. Doesn't matter what style of architecture, doesn't matter what decorating style or era, doesn't matter if the sofa cost $7,000 or $700, all the stuff really, truly does not matter.

It doesn't matter because essentially after all the things that are to be considered are considered, the bottom line is you have to correctly partner the bundles. You have to align the reflecting bundles of wavelengths from the wall color with the beaming wavelengths bouncing around the room -- and partner them in a manner that meets the expectations and functional needs of the humans involved.

When we tell people to use sample boards, that tangible, physical act is the process to finding the right partnership of intangible bundles of wavelengths -- there's no other way to do it.

Sometimes I think I put people off a bit because I have such little regard for the contents of a room. "Designer" furniture, rugs, tables, bowls of seeded spheres, or whatever is kind of boring to me. Sometimes it's fun, but it's not my passion.

I really don't care if it's a million year-old buffet from the bestest antique store on the planet or if the buffet was curb-shopped. Don't care if art is original or a Craig's List find -- because it doesn't matter to what it is I have to do. Stuff is Stuff. It comes and it goes. But the light and the color...... that's the part of the story that absolutely captivates and romances me. :~D

I had to laugh when I read this..."you can only *see* so far"... I guess that depends on how fast you move, LOL! I've had this paint color for 8 or 9 years, touched it up with leftovers 4 months ago - still love it! If $$ were no object I'd have it changed to EK Mushroom... maybe ;-)

Eh, why? If it works, it works. Switching to a FS version of what you already love would be for pure sport at this point. Could be fun! but maybe not necessary. Those pictures are stunning -- great paint color.

When you get conscious and focus on coloring for your now, if you can tune in to your innate sense of color and let it speak up above all the chaos of the "critical" elements screaming for your attention, then you really can't put a limit on how far the color decisions you make in that conscious and aware state will take you.

Color regret happens when you don't tap-in and listen to what's important -- and, again, from my point of view the contents of a home, or office, or where ever do not automatically rank #1 on the list of what is important. They are on the list, sure, but not always in that #1 spot.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

FC, you're so cool!

It's because of the bundles of light wavelengths that a neutral paint color that someone else found to be magical in their space, turns out to be not so magical looking in another's. i.e. The infamous Tobacco Road, SW's Latte, et al.

As usual, you said a mouthful - got 7 patches on my kitchen walls right now, one of which is TR - I wanted to love it so much, but will most likely go with another based on beaming/reflecting qualities of the paints with natural light, beaming/reflecting qualities of the paints with artificial light, the genre of the room, and what's in the adjoining room(s). Waiting on them to cure, it's a journey - I can handle it... hubs is probably getting impatient, but he knows I'll get there ;-)

Eh, why? If it works, it works. Switching to a FS version of what you already love would be for pure sport at this point. Could be fun! but maybe not necessary. Those pictures are stunning -- great paint color.

Yeah, I know, I was only kiddin' but I luuuuv sports, LOL! Thanks!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I'll tell you secret, but don't tell anyone else... ;)

I sent EK my favorite blend (my favorite formula) of Tobacco Road and I think she custom-mixed it full spectrum for someone. So a FS version of Tobacco Road may have been born. Have to ask EK the status.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

O-M-G! I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow, even though I may be afraid TR is too gold-y for my space! Please keep me/us posted for future ref, and thanks, FC ;-)

Oh, and while I'm posting again, PAL, as usual, thanks for your comments... priceless!

• joannaca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions, funcolor. Unfortunately, the store locator feature on her site isn't working, so I have no idea where to purchase EK paint around here.

Any opinion on Devine Color paint? It's a local company, and i can buy it right down the street.

One thing that makes it difficult to choose a color is the fact that unlike almost every 'sample photo' you'll find on virtual color sites, we do not have white trim. So many colors that look great with white trim, just look awful with wood trim, like we have. The photo above with the wood ceiling helps a bit. The Mushroom color looks very nice next to the wood. I would love to get some samples to try.

• megsy
    14 years ago

I think Monroe Bisque (Ben Moore and have no idea if it's full spectrum or not) would be a fabulous color in that room.

• joannaca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I called Ellen Kennon directly and they are sending me all the samples that Funcolor recommended. THANKS!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Devine has a focused and well-crafted palette. The colors aren't mixed full spectrum, but they do appeal to a specific color tolerance -- get samples and try those along with all the other great colors suggestions listed in the thread.

One of two things will happen -- I promise -- you will either totally click with FS color and it will sort of *speak* to you or you will totally click with the Devine palette. Having the two very different *kinds* of color to compare is a great position to put yourself in. When you do make a decision, you should feel like you explored the very best color options and made the best guess possible. Choosing paint color is really all about guessing any way -- you just want to try to make your best guess and move on from the color decisions to the other stuff you have to do with the new digs.

BTW, Ellen is calling her new Tobacco Road inspired paint color "Champagne Gold". She says it will be ready to order in a couple of days. I can't wait to see it myself.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

OMG!!! TR in full spectrum? Someone get me a cold cloth for my foerehead...
    (After all, I have the Duron TR in my FR)!!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Amysrq's post got me to thinking about the whole white thing and the architecture. And I kept thinking about it and I started to think - yeah - that would look really good. Something less 'color' than green (of course if you want green than you should do that of course) and then I saw the pics of Wicker (?) and Mushroom and kept scrolling back up to your place and just thought WOW!

Now I think that a warm white or other neutral in line w/ those posted would be perfect.

Now ask me agian 3 days from now after 2 people poasted and said blue!!!!!

• PRO
    Barbara Jacobs Color and Design
    14 years ago

What a great space! So much light and natural materials are just the location for beautiful full-spectrum colors. One of the best (and there are many!) reasons to use Full Spectrum paint is that each "color" of paint is so much more than 'a paint color." I like to think of it as "more color per can" than other paint types.

But, which one? Many could work in your space. I'd recommend looking to your stone fireplace for some "neutral" cues. Lori's suggestion of Ellen Kennon's Mushroom is a good one.

Another thing about Full Spectrum paints: you might be surprised which colors go together. Because the formulas contain so many color tints, as Lori explained so well, they are very likely to complement each other in the most interesting ways.

Decorating is made easy also. Pick the colors first! You'll have the little color cards to shop with and these colors will be very adaptable. You'll have fun getting your richer accent colors in accessories, furniture, and rugs.

RE: the actual paint color: You need something that does not have too much yellow in it. You have a lot of wood and your new floors (oak?) are likely to have a strong yellow presence especially in such an expansive space. Yet, take care to not select something too cool overall because so much natural sunlight tends to have a cooler cast. You may or may not notice it but natural daylight is Very Cool (no pun intended).

I recommend that you order the little set of 3"x4" painted color cards from Ellen Kennon. Then if you need her larger samples you can purchase them once you have narrowed it down a bit. Or, just go for it and paint!

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbara Jacobs Color and Design

• jjam
    14 years ago

Funcolors,

Just wondered if full spectrum paint is "worth it" in an area that gets very limited natural light. I'm getting ready to paint a tunnel-like hallway which only gets natural light from the bedrooms opening up from it; and only then when the blinds are open. So the color will reflect back upon itself, as the two walls are only a few feet across from each other.

I have the EK cards, and plan to use her colors when I repaint my LR and kitchen, as those rooms get a variety of light conditions throughout the year.

What is your advice?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Hey, Barbara J.!

jjam,

Full spectrum color works in low-light situations too -- for all the same reasons.

FS color packs a robust bundle of wavelengths and it can reflect a broader range of light wavelengths than regular color. That means, even in low-light situatuions, whatever light wavelengths you have to work with will be maximized. The wall color will reflect back as much as is possible for that particular hue -- nothing will be lost kinda thing.

With any color, the more evenly balanced light you have, the better the wall color will look and FS color is no different. But... if in that equation of partnering bundles of wavelengths, one side of the equation is a little short, like the light, you can compensate with robustly built paint color.

If you think about it, it works the same in reverse. i.e. A room with southern exposure with abundant daylight is the easiest kind of room to fit with a wall color -- because you have a robust bundle of light wavelengths to work with. In other words, you will find that a greater number of paint colors work in a southern exposure because of the abundance of light wavelengths; they have better odds of finding kindred wavelengths to reflect back into the room. The paint color might be short in some way, but the light is robust.

The other part of FS color that I didn't speak to because it was getting kinda long is the factor of black colorant. FS color does not use black colorant in the mix. As we all know, black keeps all the light that hits it, black doesn't reflect anything back into the space. Having black in the mix also creates what feels like dimensional shadowing *within* the actual paint color -- sometimes it's not a big deal, sometimes it is. All depends.

Tobacco Road is a good example. My favorite formula uses black -- in fact black is important. I'm anxious to see what EK's version looks like because it's not going to have that shot of black.

There's a place and a way to use both versions of the same color. Having a choice about how color is mixed is awesome. i.e. I love to juxtapose *regular* color to FS color. It's a subtle way to add a layer of finely nuanced contrast to sightlines. It's fabulous if you can use FS color everywhere, but if you can only use FS for a room or a hallway, the effect can be rather spiffy.

• jjam
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks funcolors. Very good explanation. I'll order some samples and see what flies.....

• sadie709
    14 years ago

hey funcolors
    that was me that asked for the tobacco road in FS. I haven't ordered it yet. the painting got sidetracked by mom's soon to be new knee. hope to paint soon. It's going in the den in a very bright west facing room.
    Sadie