SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onebusymom

Rescue Lab - great, except for the pooping!!

onebusymom
16 years ago

Hi there, I'm generally a lurker around these parts and have learned alot from reading. I'm hoping someone can offer advice.

In Feb. we adopted a Lab (mixed, maybe) who was about 6 months at the time. His history was that of a "neglect seizure". From what I understand, he was left tied to a tree all day and all night with no shelter. Bailey is our third Lab, the first we had as a puppy (he just passed away in Jan.) and Eddie, we adopted from our local pound at about 5 years old (about 4 years ago). Eddie came to us housebroken, Bailey - not so much.

We started crate training him, and thought he was doing well. We had him on a great schedule - but then, he started going in his crate. He is a big boy (50 lbs. at adoption), so his crate was large, but not so large that he could avoid the poop, in fact he would sometimes lay in it until we noticed (usually only ten or so minutes). Sometimes, this would even occur right after we took him out to potty. No barking, no whining, nothing.

We go out the same door to go. We go to the same area to go. (One for pee, one for poop - he steers.) I praise him to the point of lunacy. Even my neighbors wonder what the heck I'm doing. I try to let him out of his crate and in the house because he is so big for chunkcs of time all day long. The second I turn my back - helloooo poop! Today and yesterday, he even peed on the floor, which I really thought we were past.

What am I doing wrong? What could I do differently? He is really a great dog - a LOT of puppy energy - but this is driving me (all of us) crazy. Any suggestions are VERY welcome.

Comments (4)