SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gemini40_gw

'Words With Friends' question

gemini40
12 years ago

I just started playing this game a week ago,and I do love it. However a problem is occurring once in a while that I cannot seem to get an answer to..so I come here because we have the best and brightest for a solution.

Twice now after I have sent a word to my opponent,when the letters apear at the bottom of the screen one cube is blank.

So why is this happening does anybody know..you are supposed to have seven letters to choose from and I, more than once, am getting only 6.

Hope I have explained this properly..

Comments (22)

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Gemini... it is like the board game Scrabble. The blank can be used for any letter you want. When you click on it a screen pops up with the alphabet and you pick the letter you want to use. IT is a great one to get!!

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

I hope I explained it properly............

• Related Discussions

Words With Friends: I did NOT Resign...grrrrr

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm not sure about that, but I have a question. Several times, towards the final moments of a game when I'm just a few points behind but with several tiles left and the opportunity to make a "good" word, I get notification that I've lost. I'm not shown what word my opponent has just formed, but the game is over. I don't believe she's used all of her tiles, so why is this happening?
    ...See More

Anyone play Words With Friends?

Q

Comments (16)
    wow, that's pretty interesting. A day to play the next word. That would be too slow for me but I used to play Scrabble on Pogo and when I tried playing other users and they would get irritated, snap, even log out if you spent, like, a minute thinking, lol. I was even told to hurry up or don't play. I haven't heard of Word so maybe I'll try that. Anytime I try to play Scrabble, Java warns that the software requires full access to my computer, so I don't want to use that software anymore anyway.
    ...See More

do you play words with friends?

Q

Comments (18)
    I just started playing words last week and I've got games going with DH and DD right now. I love it because I can play with DH right next to me and DD 1000 miles away. Neither one of them has beaten me yet, but DD has a good chance this time.
    ...See More

Anyone having trouble logging into Words With Friends?

Q

Comments (9)
    This thread is six years old! Funny that the problem happened in May that year as well. But in 2018 WWF isn't giving me problems--it's Scrabble that I have to reload all the time.
    ...See More
  • JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

wonder why this is not showing that it has any replies?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

It's showing 3 follow-ups. And you explained perfectly! :)

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

thanks moonie, must just have been my computer. I see them now.

• gemini40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!!! I knew I could count on you to explain it to me.

June

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

I signed up on Facebook. So I tried a game with a random partner. All my letters were consonants,,, no vowels. So how is one supposed to proceed when the first turn is yours & you have no vowels? Do you just pass? I've never played scrabble. Do you always have a partner with "Words", or can you just play a solitary game?

• alisande
    12 years ago

I have a WWF question, too. I've been playing with my friend Sheri. She won the last game, and asked me to start the next one because she was maxed out on the number of games she could have going at once. She said if I initiated the game, she'd be able to play. When I clicked on Start a Game, the program gave me a list of my friends from which to choose, but Sheri wasn't on the list. Neither were some others I'm pretty sure play regularly. Is there a way around this?

• alisande
    12 years ago

Never mind.......they all just appeared on my list. Duh..... :-)

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Don't have an Ipad, don't have cell phone, or any of the other fancy gadgets =====>>>> but I do have a computer :)

Has anyone played on the computer? Can you only play with somebody else who plays on a computer? Or can you mix and match it up, like can I play with someone who does Facebook (which I don't).

• yayagal
    12 years ago

BeeOhio, if you look at the bottom of the word page where your letters are, to the left it says exchange or something like that, click on it and put the letters you want up on the block, then click and they will be replaced by more random letters. Also you can shuffle your letters by clicking on the right side.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I just checked it out on Facebook, and was thinking that DH and I might play.

But one of my "friends" plays games all day long on FB and I don't want her to see that I'm playing. Is there any way to stop/block friends from seeing what you play?

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

Just be aware that if you exchange your letters you will have to forfeit a turn. When you have only vowels or only consonants it's hard to start a game, that's for sure. So either skip your turn and wait for what you need to build off of, or exchange your letters.

The thing nobody ever told me when I started playing was the best way to get big scores is to build off of already played words. Like if you have the word "weeper" you could build a word like hari off of the eper. Sometimes you can get huge scores that way. Don't necessarily focus on building big words.

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

Thanks Yaya & Sleeper for the tips.

I am interested in Jasdip's question also, b/c I don't really want to be playing for hourrrrrrrrs @ a time. Do people typically play for a bit, then go about other things & come back much later for a turn,,,, say like, finish a game in several "sessions" of playing???
    I guess if one wanted continuous play they might have more than one game going with different partners??
    Is it "fair" to go the dictionary for a word?

• alisande
    12 years ago

Yes, people often let a lot of time go by between moves, and that's okay. It's good if your opponent knows you don't plan to sit and play steadily for a given game.

I would say it's not fair to go to the dictionary. I base this on my experience playing Scrabble, where consulting a dictionary is a no-no. You can, however, play a word that you think (hope) will be accepted, and if you were wrong you can recall the letters and try another word.

Jasdip, I've turned down friends' requests to play. Just tell her you've already got a game (or two, or whatever) going, and this is all you can handle right now.

• gemini40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My sister and I have a game on going for a week now...we just play whenever.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

My friends and I sometimes take weeks to play a complete game because everybody is so busy. I think that you have to take a turn at least every two weeks, though, or WWF will automatically forfeit your game to your opponent.

We've also been enjoying Scramble with Friends which is like Boggle. It's a lot faster because each player only has three turns per game.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

Like Alisande says you can play as much or as little as you desire. The nice thing is you can mull over a turn for as long as you want without the other person knowing you just can't put a word together. They just think you are at work or something, lol. Not like scrabble where people are biting at the bit for their turn. That's why I said scrabble was boring in that one post, Alisande, because you do have to sit there and wait and if you are playing with a slower player the time gets really long.

I do disagree on going to the dictionary, though. I hope I'm not cheating, but I go to the scrabble words lists online with the q, z, and j words to see if there is a word I can play. There's a lot of weird words I never knew existed. Zein, Qi, Za, corf. I've learned many words I didn't know before.

And a lot of times I will just put combinations of letters in not sure if it's a word, and once in a while you get a shocker. That's how I discovered corf was a word (for a triple/triple score). If it's not a word the game will tell you and then you just push OK and recall your letters.

• alisande
    12 years ago

The nice thing is you can mull over a turn for as long as you want without the other person knowing you just can't put a word together. They just think you are at work or something, lol.

LOL That's true! ("Me, stumped over a silly word? Heavens, no! I was busy orchestrating world peace.")

I know what you mean about slow players. The friend I play Scrabble with most often takes forever on his turns. He's an excellent player who taught me how to play well, but I could answer my email, do all my laundry, and vacuum a few rooms in the time he takes to ponder a move. I usually don't like it much if people leave the TV on when I'm visiting, but in his case I'm delighted to have something to do. :-)

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

LOL Susan. I take longer than DH likes me to, but not THAT long!! He tells me to hurry up, but then, he's not thrilled that I'm ahead of him by 38 games.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Justlinda.... We play on the laptop, my dd3 plays me on her phone.
    beeohio.... SOme friends and I take days to finish. i think it eventually times you out. but not sure how many days/hours

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Thanks for response jennava. So I see that I don't have to be a high faluting tekkie to play LOL. Also, I noted that we can all play in the sandbox together no matter what kind of "toys" we have.