SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

alternative to the evil e-collar

Ninapearl
10 years ago

swee' pea has a spot on her foot that got rubbed raw by the cast (acl surgery) and created a terrible ulcer/pressure sore. took her to the vet yesterday because i was noticing a bit of an odor coming from her foot. because she had been licking constantly, she was keeping the area wet which resulted in a bacterial infection.

vet smeared the spot with medication and wrapped everything back up. he only put the outside part of the cast back on to support her knee/hock and will recheck the sore tomorrow.

i picked up a traditional e-collar for her but it just was NOT working. she was so stressed, more so than i have ever seen her. she did not lay down for hours, just sat up panting. she was exhausted and so was i by midnight. i took it off of her for the night.

this morning, i fashioned a barrier with big bath towels and duct tape. so far, it is working like a charm. she has not once tried to lick her foot. i am also getting one of those inflatable neck rings and will use it together with the towels.

so far, so good!! instant pillow...

got a bit of the stink eye at first but i just ignored her. LOL

i hope she doesn't murder me in my sleep!!

Comments (11)