SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teachbls

Talking about sex with a child?

teachbls
16 years ago

Hi, all -

First time poster here at the KT. I'm wondering whether you'll share with me your advice as to when to talk with a girl about sex. I have a daughter turning 9 this weekend (and hosting 8 friends for a sleepover --yikes!) While my daughter has had a few questions, none have been so pointed that I've felt the need to to be particularly explicit. Simply put: my daughter does not know "where babies come from."

She is quite bright, and has a precocious group of friends. I guess I'm looking to pre-empt the possibility that she'll get (inaccurate) information from other kids. At the same time, I don't want to introduce something that she's not ready for. As it is, I feel like I've been pretty silly about it - evasive with my answers - or just downright goofy. I'm embarrassed to admit that we've somehow promoted the notion that her daddy and I just pulled together a bunch of special "ingredients" to make her and her little sister and brother. At this point, I'm somewhat of a laughingstock among my girlfriends - all very progressive and open about sexuality with their own girls.

In a similar vein, at what point did you talk with your daughters about the onset of puberty and all that accompanies it?

I'd really welcome some good, common-sense advice.

Thanks!

Robin

Comments (24)