SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Cat waking me up early on weekends

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

My "kitten" is almost a year old. I have 3 other cats as well. She has developed a very annoying habit the last month. Normally I get up at 7am during the week to go to work. On weekends my kitty (she sleeps in my room) wants me to wake up early as well. She will start trying to wake me up around 6:30am. First she will just sit at the bed and cry and then if that does work she will climb in the window (right next to the bed) and jump at the blinds and then try to climb the curtains. She will then continue to cry and cry as though she is lost (this loud sad cry) and I'll try to hush her and convince her to jump on the bed and that doesn't last long.

At first I thought it was because she was hungry so I will get up and feed her at her normal time. However, even after she eats she will come back a few minutes later and DEMAND that I get out of bed. She will meow and cry this loud angry bratty cry. Sounds like a spoiled child who doesn't want mom to sleep in. She has three other cats to play with so I don't understand her needing me to be awake. I will try to ignore her and she will come back every half hour and start the process all over again. Yesterday, I opened the window so she could watch birds and get some fresh air and that entertained her for an hour and then she tried to wake me up again. It's gotten so bad that if I lock her out of the bedroom she will just stand outside the door and cry and rattle the door and then if that doesn't work she will go around the living room and knock things down (which wakes me up.)

She normally does not knock things over so i know she is doing this "on purpose". Last weekend I got so fed up I left her in the bedroom and went out and slept on the couch. I was mad at her because I like to sleep in a few hours on the weekends. I woke up on the couch with a sweet little gray kitty curled up asleep next to me. As though she was appologizing or trying to get on my good side. I couldn't be mad at her.

She will sleep with me at night (sometimes she will wake me up by playing with my feet (with claws) or because she will suck on a blanket and it wakes me. But this whole waking me up early on weekends has just started. I know cats aren't human but I swear its as though she's bored and wants me to get up and entertain her. Why is she suddenly doing this? What can I do?

Comments (8)