SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joycedc

Heart Murmur in Cat

joycedc
14 years ago

I took my two Scottish Folds to the vet today for teeth cleaning. I learned that my 12 yo male (Owen) has a heart murmur which had not been detected in any prior visit to the vet, including his last visit in January 2010 (for yearly check up). Turns out the murmur is only audible when the cat's heart rate is above 180. It was about 200 when vet first called me. I can understand why: the cat had no food since 10 p.m. Thursday night (he was not pleased with this development and expressed his displeasure every 90 minutes throughout the night), I stick him in his carrier and drive(!!!) him to the vet (!!!) at the crack of dawn this morning and leave him there, and he was separated from his sister cat, so he wasn't having the best day on record. His heart rate dropped to 180 and the murmur couldn't be heard at that lower rate. He did have the teeth cleaning and appears to be perfectly fine tonight.

The vet is suggesting an echocardiogram. Have any of you had cat(s) with heart murmurs? If so, how have you decided on treatment? I of course want the best for Owen. I'd appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks very much.

Comments (6)