SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Calling Squirrelhaven w/Kitty Questions

User
14 years ago

I didn't want to hijack the thread about Scary Vet Bills, so figured I'd just make a new.

Hope you don't mind, but your post regarding radiation therapy for your cat caught my attnention. Our cat was just diagnosed with hyper thyroid and this treatment is what the Vet is recommending. Including a cardio exam for a heart murmer, xrays and bloodwork, the bill is 1800. We've already spent a small fortune for nothing but one misdiagnosis after another (through 3 diff vets) and before we spend that kind of money for treatment, I want to at least use some due diligence to ensure it will even work to fix her problem.

Can you tell me what symptoms your cat was experiencing before the diagnosis and proceedure? Our cat has had severe weight loss (dropped from 11 lbs to just over 5), lots of vomiting, strong appetite and a heart murmer. All but the murmer started the same week she had some dental work 2 years ago. Everyone including a vet who's board certified for dental work swears that had nothing to do with it.

She's been tested for thyroid not once or twice but 4 times and this last time it (finally) came out positive. But thyroid medication has not helped the symptoms (which is why I'm worried the radiation won't either!) Did you try the medication first with limited results?

Lastly, our vet gave us no indication that there is a risk the treatment could fail. Your post is the first I've heard of that, so understandably it's a red flag to me. Can you give some detail as to why it failed, and if you know if this is common or not. I'm very interested in any information you can share also about the process, the healing period or side effects. I also had Maui's parents (still have dad, he's 17) and she was almost born on my lap! She was so strange and skittish as a kitten I didn't think she'd find an understanding home so I kept her. It took years of nurturing but she's one very sweet and special kitty and we're really worried about her. Ironically too, at 27 my daughter was diagnosed with hypothyroid and had to have radiation therapy too. Thanks in advance, Lukki

Comments (10)