SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_orange_vol_

roll call!

big_orange_vol_
19 years ago

Ok guys we haven't had a roll call since the last bad storm in the Summer(?).

For the new folks.... a roll call is the chance for everyone to post, say a little something about themself, get the lurkers involved and in times of severe weather to make sure that all our GW friends are ok.

I'd like to add to this one note about whether or not you have attended the Swap in the past (if so what your thoughts were) and if you plan on attending this Spring. Everyone is welcome at the Swap regardless of if you have anything much to bring or not so there's no excuse not to come and join in on the blsat that we have all day! Make plans today to clear that Saturday on May 21st and meet all the wonderful folks you share questions and ideas with everyday.

My name is Jeff and my wife is Lavonne. We're both 45 and live in Nashville. We married two years ago and have a Boarder Collie named Arthur. We love landscaping flowers, shrubs and trees like all the rest of you. I do all of our hardscape, and it looks that way! Years ago Rob Ogletree (MountainGrown) lied and said that our place looked like Cheekwood and I corrected him saying that it was more like Cheapwood (because I'm cheap) and that nickname has stood for four years now. So if you see me refer to Cheapwood in a post then I'm talking about our place and not misspelling Cheekwood. Our place looks nothing like Cheekwood anyway, right Renee?

I've attended every Swap that I was able to and plan on making all of them until the Lord calls me. Besides Jan and Mona would kill me if I missed one anyway. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on and you get free stuff! How cool is that?

NEXT.........................

Comments (91)

• cannahavana
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Ryan, I am dabbling in s/h with some of my orchids using LECA. I have had LECA pellets for several years and have used it with different plants, mostly houseplants in it.

I also was given a setup in a 5-gallon bucket with six net pots, lava rock and a pump inside that I assume sprays water up on the roots and various times during the day. I just checked out some books on hydroponics from the library and reading up on it. I hope to grow some veggies in it this year.

Are there any good nurseries out in Farragut? I don't get out that way too much, no reason to. If there is a decent nursery I'll go :).

Rebecca

• terry7321
    19 years ago

Ok...here goes. I'm Terry, and I'm on a mission to landscape a couple acres of yard. I'm 42, and I live out in the country in north Anderson County. In my day job, I work for an aerospace company as a buyer for the maintenance department. I built a new house about 5 years ago, and my yard is still very much a 'work in progress'. I planted lots of perrenials last season, some of which were divisions, some purchased, and some transplanted from the woods around my house. I've just gotten bitten by the brug bug, and I kept several through the winter in my garage in a bucket of water. They were kept company by a couple of dormant banana trees, dahlia tubers, and sweet potato vine 'taters. I'm very much a DIY guy, and have the sore back to prove it. I've learned LOTS from the forums here, and the Brug and TN Forums are my favorites. I lurk a lot, but learn a lot too....and I think we all do. Every time I visit here, I read someone's post and realize, I've had that same problem, and someone usually has a solution, or an improvement for just about any issue. From gardening pests to our favorite methods of amending our wonderful Big Orange Clay, it's probably been tackled here before. When I'm not working with the dirt and plants, I'm mowing the lawn...or the vegetable garden...keeps me out of trouble. --Terry

• Related Discussions

ROLL CALL: Who is Left on The Garden Party?

Q

Comments (30)
    There are times when I just long for the days where we could get together here at the garden party and talk to each other. What a time we had! We laughed, had food fights, went on trips to faraway places (virtually) complete with cooks, housekeepers, cabana boys to bring us drinks. Some of us Jillian, Wanda, Maryanne, Michelle, Kathy Jane, Di my sister Gail and I rented a farm house in West Virginia for a long weekend once. We really had a great time. I keep in touch with Wanda the others are still around somewhere, at least I truly hope so. Most are on Facebook. Michelle owns her own Kitchen Store business, I see her on her Facebook page. Life and death happens, and we must go where we must. I am no longer a caregiver having lost my sweet husband Neil in 2013 and my daughter Katrina in 2018. I still travel some with friends and family and still have an adventuresome bone or two left in this old body, I recently took up Zip Lining, a fun new hobby. I can just hear Marda and Gandle saying you go Jan.
    ...See More

Roll Call for Rose Orders Arriving 2019

Q

Comments (47)
    I already received and planted my 9 Alnwick roses from DA this spring. I have AL arriving from palatine some times this month. Ordered M Isaac C from Heirloom own root and one from David Austin grafted to compare. Also from heirloom Laguna and Antique 89. I really thought I was done ordering stuff for this year, but then I decided I really need to try and get some roses in the ground now so when I am done with residency I can have a more mature garden. So here is what I ended up with. Also got some Christopher Marlow they had left over.
    ...See More

OBF April 2020……Roll Call

Q

Comments (2)
    Sorry everyone on Texas Gardening. I'm not sure how it ended up on Texas Gardening as I did not scroll down and check that one. This post was meant for Round Robin only. Round Robin members please post on OBF April 2020 Swap……Roll Call
    ...See More

ROLL CALL: Who is still here and how long have you been here?

Q

Comments (74)
    Hi garden_gal and Irma, it’s so good to hear from you both again and gratifying that you remember my little garden. In answer to your questions, we do still live in the same house. The garden looked wonderful for several years but the shrubs eventually grew very large and many of the plants died off or had to be removed. I have found it increasingly difficult to find pesticide free butterfly host plants and attractors but this is my mission again this year. The garden has evolved but I am happy to report that it is indeed still alive with butterflies, bees and hummers!
    ...See More
  • thedaylilykid
    19 years ago

Jeff, me and Ryan have been thinking about maybe coming down to the mid tn plant swap. Is there any hotel information or can we just stay in our trucks??? Glad to see ya back here Ryan!!!

• Big_Orange_Vol
    19 years ago

Great! I've been on Lucas to come for the past four years.

I'll send you the Swap email. You can camp at Jim & Jan's campground or stay in a hotel. I think that there are two hotels in Hohenwald. I'll find out for ya'll and get back with ya.

• Jan_Hobbs
    19 years ago

Lucas, glad you and Ryan are getting to come this time... you can camp at the campground....just contact me for a campsite reservation, or stay at the Embasy Inn, 931-796-1500...but get your reservations to Embasy in early...it fills up fast.

• mlwgardener
    19 years ago

Hello to everyone!
    I'm Mona White and I live in Guntown, MS with my husband of 34 years, David. Our oldest child, Laura, is staying with us while she finishes college. Doug(s0n) and Lynn(DIL) live about 5 miles from us. We have 2 dogs, Dixie the furious rat terrior mix that walked down the road into our lives about 7 years ago and Conrad the loveable big beagle and boxer mix that my daughter adopted from the pound. He has quickly learned that I'm a wuss when it comes to giving out love to my babies (with a few treats thrown in) with just a tilt of the head or a flick of the ears, not to mention the big brown eyes. Oh, yes, can't forget Munchkin the bad cat. He tells us all what to do.
    We've lived here for 13 years on 3 acres right inside the city limits. We have loads of big hickory and oak trees and some of the worst yellow clay in town. I save every leaf to compost into the beds and buckets full of scraps. I spend too much money on my passion: dayliles. I hope to be able to do some hybridizing this year and maybe sell some seeds to support my daylily habit!
    I've been involved with the swap now for three years. We have had 6 swaps with number 7 just around the corner on May 21st. I was the secretary until this spring and decided to take a break. Jeff kindly volunteered to take over for me. I really an looking forward to this swap cause I will have time to visit with everyone, not that I didn't the last 6 times. I love all the gardeners at the swap and the children that attend can really tug on those old heart strings. My hubby and I always feel like we have been truly blessed by the Lord after the swap is over. We have met many wonderful people, made so many friends and learned to love Jan and Jim like a brother and sister. Jan has become my best friend in the last 3 years, even though we live 150 miles apart.
    I hope that each of you will be able to attend one of the swaps this year either in East or Middle, TN. I will promise you a good time and you will leave with much more than you bring.
    Love to all you wonderful Tennessee people and may God bless each of you with his loving Grace, Mona

• pianoboy007
    19 years ago

Ok ... I guess it's my turn now. I am 31 y/o and have been married for 4 1/2 years. My wife's name is Kim and she is not really the gardening enthusiast that I am. We have one son, Noah, and one baby on the way (we don't know what it is yet). Also in our family is Maggie, a 5 year old pug that is just as cute now as ever.

We moved to Sevier County in January of 2003 from arlington, TX. It was there that we bought our first house and my love for a freshly mowed, all green, weed free St. Augustine lawn spurred my interests onto other areas of gardening.

Since moving here. I've dabbled w/ vegetable gardening and some other small projects but the real work is ahead. this is the 2nd summer in our newly constructed home and there's SO MUCH that can be done.

I've read alot of posts and usually just lurk to find info but will try to become a more active member. I think I'm destined to be a gardner b/c most things that I try work out well - plus - if you can get it to grow in that Texas Heat then you can get it to grow anywhere!!!

andy

• tomatoguy
    19 years ago

Hello from Murfreesboro,

I am Lee and my wife is Linda. I am 50 and work in Nashville as a road construction inspector on weekdays. On weekends, I am a musician with an act called 1MAN1BAND. As you can tell from my nick, my favorite thing to grow is tomatoes. I also grow hot peppers, daikons, cukes, melons (not much luck with them) and Linda tends to the beans. We do a bit of flower gardening as well.

I just stumbled into this group but I am a regular poster in the Growing Tomatoes forum. I look forward to exchanging ideas with the crew in here and maybe meeting some of you in person.

Ya'll can just call me,

mater

Here is a link that might be useful: my opinionated blog

• Patti_zone7a
    19 years ago

Another Patricia here. I hope ya'all will excuse me, as I'm not actually in Tennessee, but rather live about an hour west of Memphis, in Arkansas.

I am a full time graduate student working on a Master of Art in history. I also homeschool my ten year old son, who also has the gardening bug. I've gardened a bit off and on over the years -- we grew a big veggie garden while growing up, so I started young. Last year, I put in (with my husband's help) a 12x16 raised bed garden with 18" deep soil. I also have a few raised planters, pots, and flower boxes about. My son has a 5' square raised garden bed.

We are in the country and have some chickies and ducks as pets, right next to the garden. This year's big new plan is to put in a pond garden. DH has said he will do the heavy work, so I have to snatch the chance (since he might not offer again for another decade otherwise!) I'm sitting here with a table completely covered with plants that I've bought this weekend that need to go in the ground...and have already put in about that many. Well to be truthful, they won't all even fit on the table. I'm not sure where I'm going to put them all...guess it's time to dig make a couple more raised beds this week too!

We've had some pretty rough cold snaps over here this year so it's been hard to get much gardening done yet this year. I'm too worried about my "babies" to put the rest of them out.

• SmokyMist
    19 years ago

WOW, how awesome to see all you new people, or rather, see those who have been "lurking" lol. What a wonderfully diverse group of TN gardeners we have here. For those of you that I've never met, welcome, you have found a home.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: East TN Plant Swap

• tnflowergal
    19 years ago

Hi. My name is Trenetta, but my friends call me Squeaky. I'm 30 years old. My hubby is 34 and I have a daughter 8 and a son 5 1/2. We live in W. Nashville. I was a stay-at-home mom until last year. Now I'm a student and I work part-time. I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze in homeschooling. I found GW about 3 or 4 years ago. Everyone has been so generous. I love gardening although I hate other outdoor activities. I've never been to a swap and am trying to get my mom to come with me. I love to grow veggies, especially tomatoes and also love shade gardening.

• Jan_Hobbs
    19 years ago

Trenetta...Squeaky...we would love to have you come to the swap. Once you come to one, you will be hooked! It will be like Christmas in May. You will never want to miss another one. Bring your children, too. They are very welcome. For directions, go to www.buffalocanoeing.com and then the directions link. Let Jeff know if you need more info, at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net

This is my personal invitation to you. Hope to meet you on May 21st.

Jan

• reneecd
    19 years ago

Hey All,
    My name is Renee and I've been hangin out here on the forum and at the Middle TN swaps for the last three years. There have been so many new faces here of late that I've been laying low and letting others talk unless I really have something helpful to say :) I'm 35 and am blessed to be married to my truly dear DH, Eric, 32. We have a half pint black lab named Bosco, and the queen of our castle is our kitty Kira. She was recently frightfully 'attacked' by a Walmart bag, thanks to which I am currently laid up in the hospital with a nasty infected bite. Anyhoo, DH and I both work in the biosciences and live near Jeff in Nashville. I also work sometimes at Bates nursery, so say Hi if you see me! We have about an acre of land and big, mostly unfulfilled dreams for the landscaping and perennial gardens. I collect daylilies and love almost all other perennials and shrubs. I really hope to meet some of these new faces at the swap in May. Its a wonderful experience that none of you should miss!

• tomatoguy
    19 years ago

Trenetta and anyone else interested in tomatoes, feel free to join us in the Growing Tomatoes forum. Also, if you need any tomato advice, I am at your service. I have been growing them for about 35 years now and grow all open-pollinated varieties.

mater

• cindyandmocha
    19 years ago

Hi,

I'm Cindy out of Hendersonville (originally from Hohenwald). I plan on being at the swapmeet and hopefully bringing a sister who still lives there. (She has better plants than me). See you all soon!

• dennisjmccoy
    19 years ago

Hi, Dennis from Jackson. I came to the fall swap and loved it; plan on being there in the Spring.

• almostanacre
    19 years ago

Hello all, I'm Erika in East Nashville. I live in a little old house on a great big lot with 3 cats and a wonderful non-gardener.

I'm mostly a lurker, but have had some wonderful help from folks when I've posted a question now and then. This is my first spring at my new house, and i'm obsessively watching for perennials (and nurturing weeds, i'm sure). i've got a huge community of sweet autumn clematis that's been mowed down for the past few years. I've already shared about 6 of them. Anyone?

I've been anxiously awaiting the swap since i joined just days after the October swap, but I'm afraid I'll miss this one too, as I have a big deadline that week. very sad.

So glad to "meet" you all.

Erika

• Jan_Hobbs
    19 years ago

Erika hope you get to the swap and by all means bring the sweet autumn clematis! They will go like hotcakes.

Jan

• Diane_TN
    19 years ago

Hi
    I am a newbie and a lurker. I live in Woodlawn, TN. It is between Clarksville and Dover. I am only 15 miles from FT. Campbell, KY Miliatary Base. I work for an University on the base. I own 3 acres in a subdivision. Only trees I have on the property are located in the back. I like to have more trees closer to the house. I am continuing to plant trees, perennials, bulbs and vegetables. I do plant a garden, when it dries up enough to till. It will take a long time, if I keep on changing my mind all the time, to accomplish all my planned projects. The orange clay is hard to garden in with out composting. I was used to good black, loamy soil in MN. I joined the Master Gardeners to learn how to garden in clay and meet fellow gardeners.
    I was told about this site by my sister in MN. I checked it out and enjoyed what I saw. Last Sept, 2004, I e-mailed Mona White about the Oct. swap. She was very friendly and helpful with the questions I had.
    I enjoy this forum. It is very helpful. I also, check out the Winter Sowing, Brugmansia, Garden Junk and others if I
    need answers to questions. I like arts and craft when I have time.
    I marked the calendar for the next Swap. I am trying to divide some dayliles, variegated solomn seal plants, irises and redo the bed on the northside of the house.
    Diane

• ladylou
    19 years ago

I live in Sullivan Co with my husband, 2 Beagles, one old cat. Husband and I are both retired. My favorite garden has the birthday flower for our parents, children, spouses and grandchildren. I also have a plant from each of the countries that is in our family tree. I have included a glider from my husband's home and chairs from my home.I had planned to come to the East TN swap but our granddaughter is having surgery on the 12th so I will probably not have time to get anything together.

• janash3
    19 years ago

Hey y'all,

My name is Jenny and I live in Knoxville with my husband, two kids (16 and 7), and two cats. I just found this forum a couple of months ago and it's a wonderful resource.

We used to live in Holston Hills with a very sunny yard. Three years ago we moved to the other side of town (Forest Heights) and I've been figuring out shade gardening ever since.

Cheryl and Regina, count me in on building the pond. When we lived in Holston Hills, a neighbor built a pond--it was gorgeous. I've wanted one ever since.

I'm going to try and come to the swap in May. Thanks to everyone who contributes to the list!

Jenny

• merriss
    19 years ago

Hello..I am Merriss and my husband and I live on a farm in Lawrence County. We have been married 40 years. Three wonderful kids and 2 perfect grandchildren! One more on the way in Union City, TN!!!!
    I am a retired nurse, Jack was a Lab supervisor and was the County Exec. here for 2 terms. He and our Son operate the farming operation here. I am the one, if you recall, that about had a heart attack, when I threw clippings of Wysteria over the fence where our son,Rod ,keeps his prized Black Angus. Stayed up all night in DEEP PRAYER, over that blooper. They all lived by the way.
    I have had a passion for anything that grows since I was a child. We raise a garden every year and still have one that will feed the multitude. Am cutting back on the flower gardens, for some reason, getting up and down is starting to take a real effort!(could this be age?? imagine that!)
    We also seem to attract every stray dog and cat in the County. Guess people know we will feed them. We also have had 2 pot Belly pigs dropped off for us. It is a really strange sight to look out the front window and see one chowing down in your yard! That is a real no no at our house since we run a swine and cattle operation.
    Life has been good to us, and we like to share that with others.
    Have tried to attend the Swaps for the last 2 years. This year, I have my fingers and toes crossed that we can both attend. I love to cook and will feed you well. Depends on how well the legs are working if I can bring plants.
    You all seem so happy and content, hope to meet some of you on May 21.
    Merriss

• TNcrystal_stoner
    19 years ago

Hi, I live in McMinnville. I am 27, my husband is a UT Hort. grad and owns a wholesale container tree nursery... I love it and am always on the hunt for new and exciting trees to add to our own yard. Problem is, we now need a bigger yard!
    I also show dogs---collies and shelties. I would love to go to the swap, but will be at shows that weekend in Jackson.

• DurtGrrl
    19 years ago

Though this post comes a little late, I'll use this as a chance to "de-lurk"...I'm Jess, 29, married to an amazing guy named Russ who doesn't mind me tracking mud into the house :) We've only been married about 6 months so this may change. I have lived in Nashville for nearly 6 years, I work as a geologist for an environmental consulting firm. We don't have kids, but have 2 cats and I occasionally foster rescued kitties.

We live in Nashville. This year I'm working on the foundation plantings, and of course the vegetable garden. We also have a rock garden--and tons of rocks everywhere else, too! I prefer to garden with native/heirloom plants and try to stay as "organic" as possible. We have tons of wildlife in our backyard--more than I'd have thought possible in the middle of the city, so I'm trying to grow with them in mind. That said, I don't want to feed the squirrels my tomato crop this year!! :)

I hope to attend the swap, though I may be out of town.

• lmieke
    19 years ago

Hi, my name is Linda, and I'm a gardening addict! I just love to play in the dirt. My passion is for antique and old garden roses ( I just brought 68 in pots from Texas, roses that I just couldn't bare to leave behind) when I moved up here to Paris. In Texas, I got into palms and bananas a couple years ago, so will try to stretch the zone limits here. I'm thrilled to see that I can have peonies, lilacs, and RHUBARB here!!!!!
    I have attended MANY general garden swaps in Texas and am a member of the Texas Rose Rustlers, where we swap cuttings four times a year. Would love to get that kind of thing going here in TN. Do many of you have rose cuttings at the general swaps here?
    Tom, my hubby, and I moved here for me to stay with my job. Bought a 58 acre place with a 20+ acre lake on it. Lots of long needle pines like I had in Texas, too.
    I have to have the token tomato plants, a couple hot pepper plants, and some summer squash, but that's about all I do in the veggie dept. now that I've gotten so deep into roses.
    Actually, hubby and I did the organic farmer's market gardening thing for about three years where we planted 40 raised beds on an acre of land and grew just about everything the Texas southerners eat
    I did inherit a strawberry bed here, and I had taken cuttings of my blueberries so have 14 plants in pots to get into the ground at our new place.
    Will be bringing asparagus roots from my TX garden, they are eight years old and producing very heavy this year I'm told by my neighbor down there. (Just don't have the patience to start with brand new roots, again)
    And I have grapevines and figs still in pots to bring up here.
    I plan to check out the swap page next. Hope to get there with some of my "left overs". I'm still not connected to the net at home, yet, so I can only check in here at work, but will be lurking here off and on, as often as I can.
    Linda

• amazondoc
    19 years ago

Hey, roses!

Linda -- have you found the rose forums yet? We have great discussion areas for both modern and old roses. And plenty of TN people in both forums. :-) I am currently trying to kill about 90 roses myself, mostly in pots. I'd love some cuttings some time, it's great fun trying to root them. Oh, and a few TN folks do go out on rustles occasionally -- although I'm sure not NEARLY as organized as in TX!

• LiFeOnMaRs
    19 years ago

hi!

I don't post often.... just like to read all the helpful tips and such.

I am from Lebanon, TN... 24 SAHM. I homeschool my 3 kids (we had a bad time with Watertown Elm... i won't get into that!)
    My favorite plants are Iris and Daylilly (just about the only thing that I can grow). We live on 50 acres on the east side of town. I just bought some catfish to stock my pond... maybe they will make it. I sell a few things on Ebay... its a fun hobby.

My mom and I went to the fall swap last year, it was a blast! Great ppl and good food. I am planning on going to the spring one... i have some extra water plants (just dont know how messy it would be to bring them)... will try if anyone would want some.

Well, I will stop boring you now.

Tonya

• cherrisa
    19 years ago

Ok I'll join. My name is Cherri and my husband and I just moved into our first house in Antioch. I lived in a duplex in Nashville for 9 years and my landlord let me garden it was great. We have two Australian Shepherds which make gardening a task in our new slightly smaller yard. I can't wait for the swap. Dogs allowed?

• Big_Orange_Vol
    19 years ago

Jan that's two posts about the doggies.?????? We couldn't bring Arthur because he doesn't know how to behave around other dogs. He's great with people of all ages but other dogs...just don't get me started. It's his Mom's fault!

Cherri ya'll pop by sometime, or anyone else for that matter, we're over at 356 Blackman by Briarwood.

• Jan_Hobbs
    19 years ago

Sorry, I don't think so many people, plants, and food would mix too well with dogs...I think it is better if we say "NO"

Jan :)

• SpringHillLady
    19 years ago

Just found this thread, so here goes. I am Sharon and my fiance is John. We bought a home in Spring Hill almost two years ago. We went to the fall swap that year (I was the one with the broken wrist) and met numerous wonderful, friendly and helpful people and had a great time.

I have not kept in touch till recently because late last summer we decided to put in an inground pool - What a mess! Of course DH was so kind to dig up my flower beds (items from swap, lillies, iris, daylilys) and put them all together in unmarked paper bags, where they had to stay for the whole winter. I replanted everything that looked like it made it in the Spring. This year will be a surprise garden.

I love hydrandeas, daylilies, iris, roses (David Austins so far), and need to learn how to landscape properly. We are on 1 1/2 acres 35m south of Nashville in Spring Hill.

I recently joined the Daylily Society and I am planning to join the Perennial Society and my local garden club to learn and someday share plants (if they ever get big enough to divide).

Hope to see lots of you at the spring swap - Jan and her husband are gracious hosts and the info and food is great. Also it's great to put faces to all the people you talk to all year here.

• nanbow
    19 years ago

Ack! I'm late for roll! This is just like school...
    I'm Nancy & I live just down the road from Cheryl in Seymour. If you were at the MTN fall swap, I did the hypertufa demo. I'm in to all kinds of projects; hypertufa, furniture building, and now am collecting tree seedlings from around my barely mowed yard for future bonsai.

See you Saturday at the ETN swap!

• cgjsmith
    19 years ago

hi All. I'm a newby :) My name is Crystal and I live in Lynchburg (yeah blah blah Jack Daniel blah blah). Been married to my wonderful husband John for 7 years and spend my days trying to survive 4 kids ages 5,3,2 and 4 months so I don't have a whole lot of time to garden but I have a decent size veggie garden and a small flower bed. I love my potted gardenias. They brighten my winters.
    Unfortunately most of my plants have died this year. and are still dying so I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to garden :s
    I was dying to make it too the swap but were leaving for Gothenburg early the next day. 9 hours driving in 2 days is not something I am willing to try with a 4 month old.
    Thank y'all in advance for being patient with me and answering my questions, C

• Sundug
    19 years ago

Hi, I`m Doug Kalmer, my wife Claudia and I live on 51 acres in Wayne County, TN. We are transplants, originally from NY. Claudia runs a greenhouse business in the spring,- mostly tomato plants, but also other veggies and lots of flowers and culinary herbs. We have been growing a large organic vegetable garden for over 20 years. We can, dry, and freeze our produce to try to provide as much good food year round as we can. We have a 22' x 48' freestanding greenhouse for the plant business, and a 8' x 18' attached greenhouse for year round tomatoes, house plants, early starts, etc. We built an earth sheltered passive solar home which we have been living in for 20 years. We milked goats for over five years, making hard and soft cheeses, butter, ice cream, etc., but they tied us down too much, and the coyotes kept eating the kids, so we now just have beef cattle. We had chickens for many years, but predation was also a major problem with them. Claudia loves flowers, so we have several large flower beds around the house, I tend the vegetable garden and grounds. I have been disappointed with my efforts to produce large fruits, so I am now trying blueberries, grapes, and other small fruits. We plan to bring a truckload of plants to the mid TN swap, I hope to meet folks who can educate me in the ways of producing more food in this area, as well as ways to combat fire ants and carpenter bees. Our house-

http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/2_1998.htm and go to the first,featured article. The house looks totally different on the outside now.

http://community.webshots.com/user/sundug

• veggielover
    18 years ago

Hi my name is Kathi Pulley, I live with my husband Steven and 4 kids in Waynesboro TN. Im originally from the beautiful state of New Hampshire, never did garden up there, but I started when we bought a house here a few years back. I still consider myself a newbie, and am always eager to learn more. Everyone here is so very helpful, couldn't ask for a better bunch of folks :)

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

Oh, my goodness! I'm even later than Nan!

I'm Virginia from Memphis. I've been around for at least three years so I only need to introduce myself to those new to this forum.

When I moved back home to Memphis from Austin, Texas 10 years ago my mother re-introduced me to my high school sweetheart. He and I will have been married 7 years this summer and I have been working on our home's landscape for six. There's hardly a bare spot except for the patch of lawn in the front that I don't dare touch as much as I'd like to!

I'm looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new friends at the spring plant swap tomorrow.

• rizzir
    18 years ago

Please give a very warm Tennessee welcome to Scott, Olga, and Andrew Rader from Los Angeles, CA! You may remember that Scott asked a question regarding Knoxville on one of our discussions a few months ago. My Scott and I met up with them when they came for a job interview, and had a great time! Scott and family liked Tennessee so much that, even though Scott did not take the job, they have moved here anyway! They're just getting settled in, but I'm sure Scott will be posting here soon. They are moving in to a place that may not already have gardens, so I will ask if he is interested in housewarming plants... I know I have a lot of baby extras right now, so I can't be the only one!

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Here's a big warm welcome to Scott, Olga and Andrew from Lavonne and I.
    I'm sure that there are enough folks in the K-town area that would love to donate some housewarming plants to them. Let's just not freak 'em out with too many.

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

Hey, y'all.
    Lucky here. I check in on this forum from time to time.
    Originally from LA(lower Alabama), now settled in Christian Co., KY, just north of the TN line, after a stint in mid-MO.
    Mona, I did my preceptorship in Guntown with Dr. Bill McMillan - I'm familiar with that area - from Baldwyn, down through Saltillo, to Tupelo.
    Spent 5 years in veterinary practice in Giles Co., in southern middle TN - still think that part of the country is the prettiest place on earth.
    My passion is propagating & collecting northern pecans & hickories, but I play around with other edibles like persimmons, pawpaws, mulberries, walnuts/butternuts and low-tannin oaks; Amazondoc fixed me up with scions from a noted low-tannin white oak up in her neck of the woods several years ago - it's still kicking, doc, but no acorns yet.
    Branching back out into ornamentals, where I cut my teeth as a kid.

• rader_ranch
    18 years ago

lol...Hey Regina! Andrew is definitely looking foward to seeing you again (as are Olga and i of course). and thanx much Big Orange Vol....Jeff (just ran up the page to look), no such thing as too many plants i think, if i can just figure the right places to put 'em. this 5 acres hasn't seen much love in awhile. i'm doing research on small tractors vs. Ford 8N etc. antiques as i type this.

i'm 40, my wife isn't, and Andrew is a month away from being 5...and we have an older son Alex, 19, currently in the Reserves. we haven't even been here (Friendsville, S. of Knoxville) for 2 weeks yet, and thanx to Andrew already know where the nearest hospital is (just a few staples, actually happened just after unloading the 1st day, they're out already) , the vet for the pets (shots etc) and other basics, but no clue where nurseries are yet, other than Lowe's, Home Depots ....a LOT of work ahead. looking foward to it!

best to all....i'm sure i'll be searching this forum often and asking some questions soon enough.

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

Hey Lucky!

Are you still looking for Magnolia macrophylla? I found a guy selling some this spring and thought of you. I may still be able to find his name if you're interested, so let me know!

And welcome to Scott and Olga! If you're in Friendsville, you're very close to a great natives nursery -- Native Gardens. Here's their web site: http://www.native-gardens.com/

They're great people -- give em a call!

• Gardener972
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm Cheryl and I accidentally opened the Tennessee forum. I was headed for the Texas forum but I figured I'd check out what's happening in your area of the country. Is hot as blazes here and we badly need rain. Garden on!! Wish we could grow azaleas like you people do!!

• decolady01
    18 years ago

Hi all. My name is Becky. I'm 50 yrs old, married to Mike, 53. We have 2 daughters. The elder is going off to Birmingham Southern College in the fall and the younger is starting middle school. We also share our home with two parrots - an African grey and a sun conure. During the week during the school year we live at our house in Huntsville, AL. It's on the side of a mountain and all woods. Holidays, weekends, and the summer we live at our farm in Lincoln County, TN. It's the home place of a land grant dated 1789. The house, corn crib and smokehouse are all 200+ yr. old log buildings. Of course, the house has been modernized - kichen, plumbing, ac, etc. LOL.

Since we bought our farm (1996) we have planted many fruits (trees, vines & berries), vegetable garden, herb garden, moon garden and perennial flowers. We transplanted numerous plants from our parents', grandparents' and great-grandparents' homes in Louisiana. I'm very interested in heirloom and pass-along plants. Herbs, tomatoes and wild foods are also fascinating to me. I've managed to get a ramp bed and a fiddlehead bed going this last year. Every summer I enjoy canning, freezing and drying food from the garden. In the last few years I've gotten some citrus trees to grow in pots. I've been a member of Garden Web for several years, but mostly lurk. And I should mention that I'm the gardener in the family. Mike is willing to build garden structures (like the kiwi/grape arbour), but doesn't understand the joy of digging in the dirt.

I hope to be able to attend the MTN plant swap this fall and meet many of you.

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Becky, by ANY & ALL MEANS please come to the Fall Swap!!!

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

New to Nashville. Still have to change my profile here. Fiance has been tending the garden, it still needs lots of compost and love, but its a start.

im a freshly graduated Dietitian, hes a PhD student at Vanderbilt. We have too many cats. I like native flowers, vegetables, and herbs. Hi all!

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

Hope all the newbies to this forum get to the swap on Oct 15. Y'all are welcome. Once you come you will be HOOKED.

:) Jan

• littlebit_gw
    18 years ago

I'm littlebit from the NW corner of TN. I mostly lurk here but have been known to post a time or two. My Dh, 2 kids (DD is 13 and DS is 8) and I are all members of the American Iris Society, so that tells you what the majority of the flowers we grown are. I have over 300 named irises and plan to add more this fall. We have begun to dabble in dayliles although most of them are unknowns.
    Currently I am not working, when I do, I drive a school bus full of K-2nd graders for our city's primary school. As if that's not bad enough I also work in the county's grammar school as a lunchlady. I hope to become a more active member of this forum.

littlebit

• tybeetree
    18 years ago

Howdy, y'all:
    Mark from Murfreesboro, here. I discovered Gardenweb by viewing the episode of Volunteer Gardener devoted to the garden swap. As a landscaping junkie, I've really enjoyed getting the input of professionals and amateurs alike on the web forums. This is my first foray into the Tennessee forum.

I'm a staff writer and photographer for the Tennessee Farmers Cooperative publication Tennessee Cooperator a monthly "magapaper" focusing on Tennessee agriculture and rural life  and write garden-related stories whenever the opportunity arises. I will unabashedly be using the expertise of the folks on this forum to my advantage, so be prepared!

My wife of eight years, Holly, and I have two great and wacky children  Sam, 4, and Ava, 3. We moved to a new home in Murfreesboro (from Goodlettsville) in September, and I'm having to pace myself in my landscaping purchases, but I'm having a great time. Thanks all your help in advance!
    Mark.

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Mark you need to come to the Fall Swap on Saturday, Oct. 15th.
    UT has an open date that weekend so there's no excuse for not showing up.

I'm from G'ville too (Class of '77)! It's good to see another Trojan on here.

Shoot me an email at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net and we'll get you the links to the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap webpage as well as the Plant Swap Notice and put you on the email list.

• heebster
    18 years ago

hello im ray and i dont know where to start on here, i just now joined on here. today i repotted my pothos, into bigger pots, what i did was to take them out of old pots and loosen some old soil from them and planted them into bigger one with fresh soil, and watered them, i hope i did them properly! i hope i can get a feedback on this, but im not sure how i would get back to this.

Sponsored