SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

ROLL CALL: Who is still here and how long have you been here?

dirtygardener
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

This is long, but I'm feeling sentimental today, so bear with me and let's share some memories.

Seems every year, we lose people and don't get a lot of newbies. Most of us are in and out, like me. It seems when my life gets crazy and I get depressed, this is my "happy place" where all my old friends are.

I've been here since I think 1996, but during various upheavals under Spike, I've had several IDs. (If you don't know who Spike is, you definitely aren't an old-timer) I think I've had this one the longest. Once in awhile an old thread is dredged up and I find one of my old IDs. One day, I'm going to copy them all down just to see how many I have had. I think it's about 4, including this one. I kept getting banned and having to sneak back in under the radar. LOL

I was taking a plant inventory not long ago, and discovered that I still have several plants I got in trades and as gifts here back in the day. I have two sansevierias, a Stapelia gigantea (carrion plant) and a couple of alocasias which came from people I don't recall, but I have hauled those plants around with me through thick and thin. My very favorite plant in the world, my solid pink Confederate Rose, came from someone here who smuggled the seeds in from Hawaii sewed in the hem of her skirt. I almost lost that one when I left my house, but was lucky enough to get to go and dig it back up.

When I moved to this apartment 7 years ago, after many years of not having any garden space of my own, many of you sent me cuttings and seeds to start my new gardens. My two fig trees and my gorgeous pink cane begonia came from cuttings from Sylvia. Glenn sent my dragon fruit, potato mint, an orange epidendrum orchid and much more over the years. I honestly can't remember how many of my plants came from my friends here, and although some are long gone, given away or sold when I left my house or passed on to plant heaven, I would not have half of what I have if it weren't for my friends here.

The rest came from other generous gardeners or were scavenged and "rescued" from here and there, bought from the death racks at Lowes, even dug off the side of the road, grabbed out of trash piles and grown from seeds of plants in parking lots. I've killed as many plants as I have grown, but I still have two plants that came here with me from SC in 1996; my aloe (a gift from my mother for my 25th birthday) and a daylily, which despite not wanting to ever multiply, refuses to die.

I came to this apartment with ten plants. I have given away more plants than I've grown, sold a few to support my habit, some have died, and I still have too many. I'm not as healthy as I used to be, so I've started downsizing in anticipation of one day having to leave here, but I'll always carry my memories with me of good times and kind people who are more like family than friends. I love you all and hope we have many more years together.

Comments (54)

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hey Susie! I think I got that wrong about Ricky. I should go back and fix that. I think it was wallisadi who died. I truly miss all the plant swap parties. I think most of us moved to FB. I started a Florida Gardening Friends group over there, but it go to be too much, so I gave it away. It now has 10s of thousands of people in it, I think. I'm not a member anymore. I stick to the Gainesville plant forums, since there are so many gardeners in this area.

I know that Danielle (Dani) moved to Idaho with her husband many years ago, but I lost touch with her. She and I were very close and went to all the swaps in our area from Sarasota down to Cape Coral. I never made it to any of Silvia's swaps because it was too far away from me.

I'd love to try to visit some of the gardeners that aren't too far away before we all kick the bucket. I'd been planning to drive down to Central FL to visit Glenn Jones, but then COVID hit so that has been postponed indefinitely.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    2 months ago

Hi, dirtygardener, carolb and Sherry! Nice to see this thread. I've been around since 2001 or 2002*? It's hard to know since houzz removed our anniversary dates from our profiles (at least I think they did; I couldn't find it). I nostalgically think about this forum all the time, and all the great stuff I learned from everyone. I used to visit this forum daily (sometimes, hourly)!

I've been downsizing my garden beds and plants. It feels so strange to be removing beds and plants I worked so hard to plan, obtain and successfully grow. But at the same time, it is a relief to not have quite as much to maintain. I've passed along a ton of plants in the past few years. I don't think there is a neighbor on the street that doesn't have something that came from here (and that I originally got from one of you, or the Lowes clearance rack, or eBay, or craigslist...)

Two early plant gifts I received from folks on this forum were from Cliff (tropicalfreakfla) and Hester.

Cliff sent me a big box of small Crinum 'Queen Emma' pups that became a staple in my garden. Those early small bulbs turned into gorgeous giants and I have been able to pass along a great number of offsets.

Hester sent me fantastic tall cane begonia that you can rarely find in a nursery and never in a big-box store. It easily rooted and I was amazed when the first new cane the following year shot to six-feet tall! I now have it in every shady spot in my garden and have shared it with several neighbors, too.

In both cases, I was a relatively new gardener and had nothing of much value to trade in return. The folks here were/are so kind and generous!

Hope all of you still have your green thumbs and are healthy and happy!

Carol in Jacksonville

* UPDATE: I found the date from my 15-year anniversary post: April 10, 2017. So I must have joined GardenWeb in April 2002. I've been here a little over twenty years. Good gravy, time flies when you're having fun! 😁

• Related Discussions

Who's still here, roll call 2014

Q

Comments (31)
    Hi Annette and Everyone, I have been a member since 2001. GW members have helped me so much. Big hugs to everyone!!! I so appreciate you sharing. I hope you don't mind if I do. For the first time in my life, I have space to plant. I live in PA now with an acre and a half and a dream of one huge cottage garden. It was a blank slate with self-sown maple trees when I bought here 11 years ago. We have installed many, many gardens but are barely making a dent. I get so far and the ideas just stop (or funds run out). Basically, I am trying to keep the view which is awesome of the farmlands all around and trees in the distance. It is challenging because to plant a garden next to my one neighbor will be creating a division so I will lose the long green. There is also a septic mound smack in the middle of the property. I keep threatening to put a round door on it and a sign that reads, "No Admittance except on party business" for those of you familiar with the Hobbit. There is also a bluebird trail that is used every year and so I also need to keep open space for the birds. So basically I want open space but also a filled cottage garden. LOL! I guess I need to post another pic and get some ideas from you all. Meanwhile, I placed my first order for 2015 - lots of glads. See what happens when I don't have Gardener's World to watch? Happy 2015!!!
    ...See More

Whos Here in 2010? Annual Role Call!

Q

Comments (110)
    I am grateful to find you all. I live in Fort Collins Colorado and am an SFG devotee. Last year I started with 3--3x3 and 1--1x3 containers with water reservoirs; after all the summer hail storms, I rigged out the containers with Conestoga wagon style, PVC pipe braces that can be covered with plant fabric in a pinch for protection. The 3--3x3 containers are on the south side of the house between our property and our neighbors in front of the gate to the backyard. The 1x3 with a trellis is behind the gate adjacent to the back lawn fence that we share with that same neighbor. I am preparing to add another 3x3 container in the back lawn. As I am a SFG devotee, I do my best to plant with Mel's Mix. I started a compost bin on the north side of the house but between not turning it consistently and not being too cognizant about balancing my browns and greens the pile has fallen asleep and I need to wake it up (smile) I would also like to plant the window boxes on the west side of our home with short carrots and beets instead of flowers this year. I would also like to put containers on our west-facing front porch and try to plant Yukon Gold potatoes. They will not have reservoirs so I want to try the water jug with a wick to the planter technique. DH plants two earth boxes on the west side of the house with tomatoes and mows the lawns. I talked him into letting me convert half the front lawn (yin yang inspired). Now it is half grass. The other half is half rock mulch and half wood mulch the later my husband scored when he chatted up the tree surgeons that were working on another property on our street. The wind had me and the cats up last night but now that it has chased the clouds away I will be about taking an inventory of the sheds, setting up the new containers, and direct sowing the cool season vegetable seeds. I look forward to learning many things from all of you. I will try to read the previous threads and to avoid posting any redundant questions. Thank you in advance for your patience.
    ...See More

I have been waiting YEARS to join you all here!

Q

Comments (15)
    Posted by parsonse (My Page) on Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 11:46 Congrats dutty!!! I hope things dry out quickly for you so you can hit the ground running soon! Energy rater, we're in Murfreesboro, TN, about 30 miles east of Nashville. My husband and I are both from this area and since we're building on property that's been in the family for 30+ years, we don't plan on ever selling so yes, we are investing in doing what we can to make this house as energy efficient and tight as possible within our budget. If that means I don't have cabinets installed in the mud/laundry room right away, then so be it! Closing is this afternoon followed by a meeting with the builder and excavator to situate the house on the lot so we can pour footings next week! Hoping to be in by Christmas... Hello Parsonse, I am located a couple of exits down from you off the Sam Ridley exit. Where exactly are you building in Murf. and with what builder?
    ...See More

Here's what I have been busy with (long)

Q

Comments (5)
    Wow Shelley you have really been busy! What beautiful flower pots and hanging baskets. Congratulations for putting together such a beautiful display. I love the bicycle pot holder and I can imagine how good it must feel to have your own pool right in your back garden. I know what you mean about deadheading. With my roses it's also an ongoing task but isn't it wonderful to sit back and enjoy looking at your work! Wish I had put our garden on a self watering system too, but heck it's also a good feeling to wander around with a hose and keep in touch with every plant. Other than than we use sprinklers with a timed shutoff. SharonCb
    ...See More
  • whgille
    2 months ago

Hi Deb! I am so glad to know that you are well and still gardening. I miss the old garden posters, through the years I learned so much from everyone.

About me, I am still trying new varieties of fruit trees and tomatoes my favorites of course. I had some great season of harvests that I shared locally with friends.

If you come around my area let me know, you are welcome to come to my house.

Hugs

Silvia

• whgille
    2 months ago

Hi Susie! So good to know that you are around the forum, I am happy that I met all the gardeners that came to my house for the parties, we had so much fun!

I am busy with the gardening projects in the front yard and the vegetables planting.

Miss you,

Silvia

• Sherry
    2 months ago

Huntsville, Alabama.

• whgille
    2 months ago

Hi Carol,

I remember you and your garden pictures, always nice.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    2 months ago

Hi, Susie and Silvia! What a great day, seeing that so many people still check out this site and are taking the time to check in.

Silvia, glad to hear you are still in the the tomato business. Aren't you going to post a picture of some delicious garden recipe to make me very, very hungry?

Susie, don't 't you have an adorable little (used-to-be-little) garden helper (or am I thinking of someone else)?

Carol in Jacksonville

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

How nice to see some old familiar names! I'd been thinking about Silvia lately, wondering if she was still in FL. I miss those photos of luscious harvests🙂

My locale is in my username - I'm in Pinellas county.

• whgille
    2 months ago

Thank you Carol, I hope to be gardening and cooking forever, it just makes me happy. Trying new recipes from the harvests is fun, will take some pictures next time.

Thank you Carolb, I am still in the same place with my backyard facing the trail, frequently get people walking by and asking about the fruit trees.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi Silvia!

I think of you every time I look at how large and gorgeous my pink cane begonia has gotten or eat a fig off of one of my trees. Message me your address, and we'll make plans for me to visit once it gets a bit cooler, since I have a car now. I'd absolutely love to see your gorgeous yard in person.

• irma_stpete_10a
    2 months ago

YOU ALL ARE JUST THE BEST! I've learned most of what I know from you, starting probably in 2002, having bought my first and last house and empty yard that needed plants, on Halloween 2000.

During Covid I joined a few online-via-phone gardening sites but geez... too many people not reading and just giving knee-jerk reactions, wrong plant IDs, etc. Someone will post useful knowledge/answer and it's ignored by 90% of the responders as they prattle on with junk ideas and guesses. (In keeping with the times?)

Never have I thought that GardenWeb (as it will be to me forever) responders have not read the contributed wisdom preceding their answer (well, maybe there are discussions of eliminating ants or weeds that never seem to resolve!). This is what makes this so fine. I imagine that when it and we are gone, something like it will spring up and start a very useful way for gardeners to share what they have learned. Maybe it will involve holograms.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    2 months ago

Hey, Irma!

I don't know why, but your last sentence just cracked me up! I guess I'm thinking of Capt Picard in the holodeck....

Anyways, I am still growing the orange cosmos you sent me years ago. They reseed every year and get to be over 6' tall. Last year I started growing Seminole Pumpkins and they like to climb the big sturdy stems of the Cosmos.

Hey, Silvia!

Whenever I'm out in the yard stressing over my tomato plants, I think of you and how I need to get on GW and look up your old posts about how you are so successful at growing your tomatoes. Until COVID, I always participated in the Round Robin Forum's Secret Santa Swap and I've gotten so many different kinds of tomato seeds - I felt like I was rich beyond words. But I never had such beautiful tomatoes as you...something was always going wrong. But I am still plugging away and will probably never stop trying!

Deb,

I think it was Silvia who told us about our friend Mark passing away several years ago. It's so exasperating that I can't figure out how to do a Search in just the Florida Forum to pull up old posts by either name or subject. It used to be so easy to navigate, but now I can't find anything. Does anyone know how to Search the threads in our forum only?

Carol in Jax - Hi!

Are you the one who has the beautiful circle garden around a tree full of lily-type plants? There was someone who described how they had various strap-leaved flowers, like amaryllis and maybe crinums and agapanthus - and I have always wanted to duplicate that idea. This was maybe 2010, I don't know but I always remembered that photo. I think there might have been caladiums around the edge.

Well, I hope to see more old-timers come back and catch us up. I'd like to tell Denise (i'magardener) how much I love the St Vincent's Lilac she gave me and the Salvia Coccinea seeds have kept me in tons of flowers through the years. Same with Kara and the seeds she shared; the banana plants from Robin; ginger plants from Helen (wannarunfaster) and tibouchina from Mark are just a few of the plants I still have from all those years ago. And like Deb, I have propagated and shared babies with neighbors everywhere I've lived.

Many thanks to everyone!

~Susie

• jstropic (10a)
    2 months ago

Hi all!! I don't know how long I've been here but I do remember Spike so that's a clue. I remember swaps at Ricky' house in Boca where you left with more than you came with and it seemed like people were trying to shove more plants in the car as we drove away lol. Oh and the great meat he cooked, all he asked is we bring sides. Good times.

People here have always been generous and still are. It seems no matter how expensive or rare, we share! That's what makes this a special place.

I've moved and replanted fruit trees and am trialing tropical veggies. And like everyone else threatening to downize but growing instead.

Jody

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Was Ricky the one who baked magic cookies, and moved to Colorado?

• whgille
    2 months ago

Thank you Susie, we have beautiful memories of the past in this forum. I frequently think of Tomcath, Wallisadi (Mark), and all the other gardeners that I met when they came to the garden parties. I have something to remember about all of you.

Unfortunately some are gone, I posted Mark's tribute with pictures of his garden, think of beautiful plants and so big like the botanical gardens, one of the best gardens that I ever visited.

Susie, I don't know if you remember my front yard...we had two big oaks that were damaging the foundation of the house, we took them out. The house looks different now.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    2 months ago

Silvia

Yes, I remember the front yard trees, but I don't remember that they were really big. I know how drastic it can make the landscape when trees are removed...we had an ugly palm tree taken out this summer and I'm still having to get used to the new look. Are you putting something else in your yard in place of the oaks?

Jody

That was so true about the swaps and getting so many plants! I remember one big pot of peacock orchids at Ricky's swap that everyone was turning down for some reason....and somehow it ended up in the back of my truck. That was 16 years ago and in all the times I've moved since then, I've taken some of that plant with me. Now it graces all my shady spots and surprises me every year when it pops up with its pretty leaves. Did you live near Ricky back then? We drove all the way across the state from the Everglades to Boca Raton (I think most of the folks drove even farther) and we met so many wonderful, gracious people.

I wish I knew them better so I could ask them to stop by once in a while and catch us all up!

• Tyler Augustin
    2 months ago

I joined today because of a question I had and a new liking I found for gardening. I live in port st Lucie Florida. Normal 4 be home simple backyard with 4 mango trees. Planted 6yrs ago which grew incredibly large. I don't have much knowledge of this so hopefully I can grow through topics and questions and in return help others in need. Thank you -Tyler

• whgille
    2 months ago

Yes Susie, we have plans for the front yard...

Hi Tyler, welcome to the forum and you must like mangoes to have four big trees. I have three and like them all.

Silvia

• jstropic (10a)
    2 months ago

Hi Tyler, welcome!

Susie, we lived in Jupiter at the time. The swaps were so much fun. People asking months in advance what they should make cuttings of, etc. So much sharing....

Carol, I believe he moved for health related issues (Colorado?). Beautifiul house and landscaping.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Irma! So great to see you. I think about you often.

Jody - I remember those types of trades over on this side of the state too. I used to go around taking anything people were giving away at the end, and got some of my favorite plants that way. After awhile, we all had the same plants in all of our yards!

Tyler - WELCOME! There are many knowledgeable people here that will be glad to help you. I knew nothing about Florida gardening when I came here -- had just moved down from SC a few years before and killed more than I managed to grow.

• Fox the Cat
    2 months ago

Hello everyone! I haven't been active on this forum in years (since maybe 2004) and thought I'd take a look tonight. Dirtygardener, your post took me back. I had a different ID then, but I don't remember my old password and don't use the email on my old account (bellsouth anyone?!) so I had to create a new one.

This forum was a lot busier back then. The only way to keep up was to check it multiple times a day. Trying to remember some of the old names. I remember the "two Sherrys," a Tom, two Carols, and Marco. The women used to tease Marco a bit. It was maybe one of the Sherrys who mentioned gardening in a long dress and nothing else, and I think it changed Marco's life! Unfortunately, I never got to meet anyone in person. Some swaps were planned, but my mid-life-crisis-back-to-school finished up and I went back to work full time and couldn't make it to them, and got too busy to keep up with the forum.

I don't remember Spike, so he must have been during my hiatus. Some of your names are familiar, so I tried to search old posts, but like Susie says, it doesn't seem to work. When it was GW it was easy to find old posts and you could search just one forum.

But it's a new day, life brings changes, and after letting my garden languish for a couple of years, it's time to pull the weeds and get things in order. So I thought I'd check back in for some motivation.

And welcome Tyler - When I frequented this site almost 20 years ago, the advice and encouragement I got kept me going. These are wonderful people, and the most important things they taught me about Florida gardening were to have patience and a sense of humor. :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b)
    2 months ago

I'm still here. I first joined maybe in 1998 on a diff ID. I've had a few diff ones through the years. I think I was sent to Disneyland via spike at one time lol. This current ID, I think, I signed up with in 2003, not sure exactly.

We used to be able to see when we joined but I can't find where to see that now.

Anyhow, I've lived in several states but have lived in FL the last 14 yrs. (doesn't seem that long lol)

We were on the east FL coast but last year, we moved up to the Panhandle and now I am closer to AL. Its so much nicer here if you like peace and quiet, rolling hills, no traffic, and country living.

Its a fixer upper farm with much work to be done. We had to fix a lot of stuff before we could even move in, like the wells, clearing the pastures that had solid weeds up to 9ft high, damaged outbuildings& a tiny house. Don't even let me get started on the so called "main house" lol.

I think it will eventually be nice. We planned to build here but with supply chain issues, back ups in construction, grossly inflated wood prices etc we decided to make due until things calm down. It has been interesting to say the least but I am grateful.

I also wonder where everyone has gone. Apparently they all have a life and I just keep coming back here LOL! I do get busy and then drop back in to different forums depending on my current interests. I seem to spend more time on YT and ig these days.

I have a lot less plants than I used to with more hardy things since I dont have a greenhouse yet. I will have to slap something together for the tropicals or else try to move stuff into an outbuilding or the tiny house. It freezes more up here. I am in a 8b now :/

Farm life

~Sjn

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Fox, good to see you! I think Spike was still around in 2004. He sold to someone who sold it to the NY Times who sold it to Houzz. Lots of changes since then.

I see two Carols here, but there was one more down in Cape Coral. I think she moved into a condo and gave up gardening. Her yard was so gorgeous! Got lots of stuff from her.

SULTRY!! Hey girl! I would love to see your farm. I am seriously thinking of moving to Chipley, if I don't ever make it to Mexico. Such a pretty part of the country, and lots of vacant land available after Hurricane Michael tore it up pretty good. The only thing that scares me is that so many hurricanes seem to head for the panhandle. Still, it's pretty country up there, very outdoorsy.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Does anyone remember the name of the couple in Cape Coral who had a few plant swaps at their house? I keep wanting to say Bill and Carolyn? They were so nice.

2 months ago

DG, Chipley doesn't really look tore up. We went through there a few times.

There are still tore up/dead standing pines down lower closer to the coast. If you get inland up towards AL or GA you should be good.

There are still tornados in N FL though.

Live Oak is a good place to live. The wind shear there is supposedly less than most areas in FL and it is pretty there. We looked in that area too.

N FL is a overlooked gem. Lots of beauty here, much less crowded. Just don't get right on the coast lol. Even if you are an hour inland, you are still close enough to drive to the beaches if you want to.

2 months ago

Bea, I am glad you are feeling a little better and can get out and tend your plants. I have been also adding natives and perennials and tgings that arent as fussy about weather.

I am trying to plant a lot of fruit, berries & nuts..kind of a food forest that can kinda live without a ton of care.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Bea, so good to hear from you! I'm glad the daturas are doing well for you. They never would grow for me. Have no idea why. I grew cubanelle peppers from the seeds you gave me for years, but last year, the plant died before it ever put out any fruit, and I hadn't saved any more seeds, so that's done for.

I have plenty of other beautiful things, though. Found out one of my favorite large bromeliads will grow here, and a friend gave me a piece of one of hers. I can't wait until it starts going to town! I was so sad to leave all my beautiful large broms behind when I moved.

I still love seeing the pictures of your orchids, but you don't have to have ANY flowers to post here. You're one of the family. So few of us oldies left, and I just love hearing from everybody.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    2 months ago

Deb my cubanelles did the same last spring. I think I have a few fresh seeds. Do you want some?

Here are a couple of my blooming orchids for your enjoyment.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Bea, no thanks on the cubanelles. I've given up on most veggies now, except for a few greens, tropical veggies and herbs I like. Of course, I still have my Everglades. Thought I had lost them this year, but managed to get one scrawny plant, which gave me a few fruits and now I have seedlings coming up, if they don't get drowned by the rain from Ian.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a
    2 months ago

Praying for all of you in Florida.

Tony from Maryland

• whgille
    2 months ago

Hi Tony!

Thank you for your prayers, we are okay but a lot to clean in the garden.

Silvia

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks, Tony! Thankfully, Ian passed us by. Just a little wind and a few trees branches down here.

• junglegal
    2 months ago

I remember spike, I've been around since the mid nineties. I've checked this site over the years but not much activity. I too miss the in person swaps. I attended many of them years ago. I'm still in St. Pete. After Ian prep, I swore I would downsize my pot grotto but we'll see if that comes to fruition.

Bren (aka junglegal)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    2 months ago

Thanks from me, too, Tony! Our neighborhood flooded and they had to wait til the water receded to get the power back on. It just came on!

Every single garden here needs fixing, but at least I don’t have huge trees laying all across them like we had in Irma 5 years ago.

Counting our blessings in Central Florida and still praying for Southwest Florida!

Susie

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi Bren! Great to hear from you. I wish I had time to bring this forum back to life. It's a great place, and I'd love a new generation of gardeners to find it before we are all gone.

• jstropic (10a)
    last month

Wind here was terrible and lasted for too many hours. I don't want to hear wind for a long time! For us here, Sebring/Lake Placid, it was a pretty dry hurricane. But the wind was so strong it broke major branches off live oaks, so lots of vegetative debris. But when I see the damage it caused, I am grateful that the inconvenience of lost power and internet for a short time was all we suffered.

Sultry, I am also growing fruit trees and am cutting up branches (hurricane) to use as mulch around them since there is lots at this time. Hoping it will help winterize them.

• ibarbidahl
    last month

LOVE when I see these posts with some of the old names. I only check in maybe monthly now things have changed drastically for me as we are moving toward retirement and beginning a new homestead. I have absolutely no clue how long I've been around or how many names I've had but most if not all had some form of "barbie" in the name.

Silvia - Your greenhouse has done is job well and has now been donated to our local FFA! They are raising plants for the February sale at the Florida State Fair! It helped to grow seedlings that became a base for a "Native Florida" garden at the local middle school before that.

Carol (Jax)- Your queen Emma was gifted to us in memory of a friend that passed from breast cancer. I can't thank you enough for that gift. It meant the world to me.

• whgille
    last month

Hi Barbi!

It is so nice to hear from you, it brings out the good memories...

What a great story about the greenhouse, put it to good use is wonderful.

I guess that we are all changing with the years, I am very selective now with plants and I only keep what we really like. Makes the gardening simple and fun.

I wish you the best of luck in your future projects and keep us up to date.

Hugs,

Silvia

• cpartist
    last month

I'm a part timer here. Been here since moving into my Florida house in 2018.

• frankginakay
    last month

Hey guys, I am a lurker and some of you might know my son Derek. He and his partner Aaron visited Sylvia's house for some type of get together. They own Handsome Harvest farms now. Yes, Sylvia Derek started his own organic farm in Quincy FL. It is West of Tallahassee. Look them up on FaceBook or Instagram. I believe they lived in St Pete when they met some of you.

We live in Ft Myers and got hit pretty darn hard with Ian. Our home did not flood, but it was a fierce never ending storm. Lots of cleanup to do around here.

• whgille
    last month

Hi Frankginakay

What a nice surprise!!! I am glad that you and your family are okay after the storm, I know your area was hit hard.

We went to look Derek and Aaron on Instagram and it is amazing!!! Their dreams came true, Derek has the gift of gardening and cooking. Cannot wait to take a trip and look at the Farm in person. I have the nicest memories from them.

Please keep in touch and if you ever around the area, you are welcome to visit us.

Silvia

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    last month

Hiya all, Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner but I am spending my spare time digging my yard out from Ian! What a mess. We are still waiting for the FEMA trucks to haul the "vegetative storm debris" as they like to call it. We lost a beautiful Magnolia tree which I actually think is my neighbors. It should have been thinned before the storm but it wasn't and the wind thought it was a sail and pushed it to a 45 degree angle. It now has to come down but we will be waiting forever for a tree service.

I have been hanging around since the mid-1990s and remember the Spike era (I was NEVER banned although skated on thin ice many times). My first Gardenweb question was about Knock Out Roses for my house in NJ. I mostly hung out in the Kitchen Forum which I loved and then Hot Topics which I hated. Some really nice Gardenwebber walked me through the process of making sourdough bread which was one of the best posts ever.

Now I am feeling nostalgic for the good-old days.

• bradisha
    last month
    last modified: last month

Hi All I been apart of FL GW for a longggggg time(since 2004) I live in Nassau. GW is so difficult to browse now but I do pop in now and again. It sure has changed alot! I miss all of the pictures garden parties etc that was shared on this site from the old crew.

Luv Bradisha

• bradisha
    last month

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    last month

Barbie, jerzee, frankginakay, cpartist and bradisha -- so good to see you all.

I'm sitting here staring out at a gloomy, grey day, praying for the sun to come out. It's hard to get motivated to even go work in the garden on days like this.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a
    28 days ago

Praying for you folks again in Florida.

Tony

dirtygardener thanked 14tomatoes_md_7a
  • DunedinDan
    18 days ago

Awesome thread! Mostly lurking since 2004. I think I got some Nino and Ice Cream banana pups from JungleGal in St Pete a decade or so ago…

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 days ago

Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated. I'm older, wiser, and living the best life ever! I see a bunch of familiar names here. Hello to everyone who remembers our plant swaps / barbecue fests. They were definitely some of the most wonderful weekends I had in my 19 years in Boca Raton. I moved to Colorado in 2017 and left on September 1st this year. I'm now living in Manassas, Virginia with about a dozen houseplants and 1/3 of an acre that begs some landscaping.

Yep, I'm still baking "magical" cookies and shipping them to friends all over the country. Reach out by email - cookiemonster@fawnridge.com - if you'd like more details.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    17 days ago

It’s so good to hear from you, Ricky. You and your landscaping advice are really missed around here. I remember your stories you wrote and all the pictures and adventures you posted and the instructions for building a misting table for rooting croton cuttings. Those were the days, my friend! Thanks for stopping by!

Susie