SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Anyone been to Amsterdam? Looking for advice.

stacey_mb
10 years ago

My DH and I will be going on an overseas trip in a few weeks that starts in Amsterdam and ends in Paris.

I have been trying to figure out how we can make the most of our time in Amsterdam, since we will have some free hours away from tour activities. Our hotel is very near the Flower Market (Bloemenmarkt) and I wonder if it would be realistic to walk to the Rijksmuseum or the Van Gogh Museum, visit one of the museums, then walk back to our hotel. We love to walk. Is public transportation difficult or easy? Do people in general speak English?

I have some excellent guidebooks from the public library, but they don't answer my specific questions. I would appreciate any other helpful information KTers may have about visiting Amsterdam. Thank you!

Comments (46)

• chisue
    10 years ago

Can you get a map? All I can answer is that the Dutch speak excellent English.

• casey_nfld
    10 years ago

I don't have any info for you because I've never been to Amsterdam but I'd love to go there! Perhaps in a few years. I know a couple of people from the Netherlands and they speak excellent English.

One idea to see if where you want to go is within walking distance is google maps. You can select a starting point and an end point and get driving, walking or public transportation directions with time. We use it all the time for vacations.

Oh and I'll be interested in hearing about your time in Paris since we are going in Septamber!!

• Related Discussions

Has anyone been to Amsterdam? Paris?

Q

Comments (18)
    We were in Amsterdam 2 years ago and loved it. He might want to go to the Rijksmuseum which has many of the Dutch masters work. He should check the Keukenhof Garden to see if the tulips are in bloom--if so, a visit would be a "must." It's an indescribably beautiful floral display. He could also visit the flower auction in Aalsmeer. It's world-famous, and tourists walk on a catwalk above all the action. It's very interesting. Tell him to watch out for bikes and cars as pedestrians there are not as well protected as here. The Dutch are serious bike riders, and when they are riding, they are going somewhere not just out for a leisurely pedal! If he likes models, Madurodam is a very large miniature version of many of the points of interest in Holland. It's quite amazing. English is pretty widely spoken. Wish you could go too.
    ...See More

Anyone watch New Amsterdam last night?

Q

Comments (12)
    I am sure it will be quickly cancelled now that it has the IowaGirl stamp of approval. LOL At you. I feel the same way. Oh, please don't tell me that, Jodi. I can't stand predictable. Lynn, I have seen that one either. Glad I didn't. LOL Clare, did you get to the second one yet? I really just watched the second show because it was on LOL. There was nothing else I wanted to turn to after American Idol, so I left the TV on that channel. The show kept catching my attention. Before I knew it, I was rewinding half of it to see what I missed. Watched the whole show and loved it.
    ...See More

Roman Shades- Looking for been-there-done-that

Q

Comments (4)
    I made insulated shades for almost every window. Yes, the plastic rings do become brittle & break. You can zig zag them on with your machine. I used clear monofilament thread. I also used the screw eyes & a cleat. For weight in the bottom I used a threaded rod from Home Depot. I think it's 3/8". Be careful if you have window locks & they happen to stick out. You have to lift the shade over the lock or you'll eventually tear the hem out. The magnets stuck to the side of the window, if you use them, will also eventually lose their stickiness & come off. You can use double sided tape to stick them back on. Our Joann's have everything you need. Even a little book on how to make them. The site below has a book you can order & made them side drawn for patio doors. They are very warm & they look nice. A nice feature is they are room darkening, so perfect for bedrooms. My granddaughter used to take LONG naps. Here is a link that might be useful: Directions & materials
    ...See More

Hurricane evacuation anyone been through one.

Q

Comments (18)
    Ron, Our family lives in Milton, about 20 miles from Pensacola. If your DD is ON the beach, she should evacuate. After Hurricane Ivan came through a few years ago, the beach area was torn up completely. The surrounding counties were hit pretty hard and where I am, we were without power for about 3 weeks? I believe that's correct. I would say she could wait until Saturday to see the projected path for that time and if Pensacola is in the cone of uncertainty, she should leave. As others have mentioned, Dothan is not that far away, so she should find a place further away than that. Our area is not near the beach, so flooding is not an issue for us, so we will be staying. The most we got from Ivan was a ton of rain and wind. The only damage was our double drive gate that caved in. If it does hit, we'll be able to hear the local news anchor Bob Solarski say "There is a human walking on the beach." That was part of his commentary after Ivan went through...what an idiot. lol ~Cindy Jo
    ...See More
  • Pieonear
    10 years ago

I was there several years ago. I remember that the majority of people that I came into contact with spoke English.

• marie_ndcal
    10 years ago

If you are staying at a hotel, ask the people there. Most have some tours/sights you can see and they can recommend many very near the hotel. As for Paris, be aware for the men to keep their wallets in their front pockets and the women should put their purses over their shoulders and in front of them with their hands on them. Heavy pick pocking, with children doing a lot of it. And they really do not like Americans--yes that is a well known fact, as DH found out over the years.

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all the good ideas. Casey - I will try the Google maps method, I hadn't thought of that.

• pam_25f
    10 years ago

I look forward to seeing pictures from this trip.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

When I was in Paris, the Parisians were nice as they could possibly be to my friend and me. I did not get the feeling that they do not like Americans. You will love Paris.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I've been to both places numerous times, more than several dozen times each. English is very widely spoken in the Netherlands.

My glace at a map says the walk in A'dam you describe is about one mile each way. The VG museum and the Rijksmuseum are just a few blocks apart. Easy to do both in one visit to that neighborhood if you're willing to do so many hours of art at once. Both are very worth seeing.

There are so many tourist guides and online resources for both cities that I'd just suggest you consult those to find the activities that would interest you.

Say Thanks in Dutch (Dank U well, pronounced as if Donk ooo vel) to get a smile. Naturally the same for Paris, Merci.

As for Paris, I think Marie's caution is fair but I wouldn't over-worry. Most of Paris is safer day or night than most cities in North American. You're very unlikely to have an incident (other than something petty like pickpocketing when in a crowd or crowded Metro train, that happens everywhere). French people don't dislike Americans (or Canadians) any more than they dislike everyone else - what's really the issue is that many understand and speak English, and who they dislike is British people. If you know no French, speak softly and smile and you'll do just fine.

Public transportation in both cities is excellent and easy. In Paris, do use the Metro. Buy a carnet (a bundle of 10 tickets). Refer to a Metro map to know your routing before you start each trip.

Bon voyage!

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

We went on one of those "see all of Europe in 16 days" tours. We had a trip on the canals, and they do speak excellent English, as the captain of the boat regaled us with his opinions of the Clinton/Lewinsky situation, then just made public. We also had a tour of the red light district, which was a surprise to all of us, needless to say.

• socks
    10 years ago

Phyllis, we did the red light district too! DH was so uncomfortable! We also did the Ann Frank Museum and Madurodam, the miniature city.

Stacey--
    Are you going to the Keukenhof? Hope so, and hope the tulips will be in bloom. It's quite amazing and unforgettable, all the vibrant colors. You inspired me to get out my photo album of our trip 12 years ago.

Be careful of bicyclers, they ride fast and pedestrians must stay out of the way.

It's a beautiful city, and I know you'll have a great time. I hope you can make the two museums you mentioned. They are both fantastic, although VG was under renovation but still open when we were there. I hope you'll give us a report when you get back.

Susan

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions. Casey - I tried your method of determining walking distance on Google maps and it worked wonderfully well! The Rijksmuseum is 1 km, or a 12 minute walk from our hotel. Google maps even mentions the street to be taken and draws out the route. Sweet! I will use the same when we are in Paris. If nothing else, I am determined to see that museum and the Van Gogh Museum while we're there. I also have a slew of guidebooks from which to choose other good sights.

Thank you for suggestions about language, Snidley. I agree, even a little goes a long way when in a non-English speaking country. I would love to be even a bit fluent, but it's not going to happen!

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Madurodam isn't in A'dam, it's on the western side of The Hague. I think a visit there may be more meaningful to Dutch people than to tourists, because it's a collection of miniature representations of most of the significant places and sights of the country.

If you don't know those various places yourself, I think some of the meaning is lost. If you're going on a sightseeing or bus trip out of the city, there are probably better destination choices. For example, one very worthwhile destination and much closer to A'dam in the same southerly direction is the flower market/auction at Aalsmeer.

Edit -
    I hadn't noted you were going in a few weeks. Check about Keukenhof, it may be too early (the timing of the great color displays vary with the cold and rain stats for each year's winter) but if outdoor blooming has begun, it's not to be missed. If not, i don't think the greenhouses in and of themselves are worthwhile unless you're very keen on dutch bulb flowers.

This post was edited by snidely on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 20:03

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

stacey, it sounds like a wonderfully fabulous trip!.

You are going to two places I would love to see.

Will enjoy seeing your pictures.

• TobyT
    10 years ago

In our travels through Europe, South America, etc., I made sure to learn to say "I'm sorry, I don't speak (insert language here.") Also please and thank you. With those phrases spoken respectfully, people will go out of their way to help you or find someone who speaks English to help you.

• User
    10 years ago

My mother and I did that walk when we were there. Took the bus from Central Station to the Rijksmuseum, then walked back along a shopping street (one of the most expensive shopping districts in the world, I later learned), up to a park, then to the floating flower shops, down Kalverstraat, then oogled the Royal Palace that is less than 2 blocks from the red district, then back up to Central Station to take the train back to Den Haag. Just make sure you're wearing super comfortable running shoes! We took our time and had time for lunch and window shopping. Had the time of my life.

• User
    10 years ago

here are some of my pictures from my vacation to The Netherlands.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Holland Vacation (on Flickr)

• sloedjinn
    10 years ago

When we were in Amsterdam, we rented bikes and between bikes and walking we were able to get to every major attraction in the city. Amsterdam is very pedestrian and bike friendly. We took the trams once as well and it was very easy to navigate their system. We rented a houseboat on the Brouwergracht canal in a neighborhood called the Jordaan. It was lovely!

Make sure you take time to go one of Amsterdam's famous cafes. No, not the infamous 'coffee shops'. These are also often known as 'brown cafes'. They're more like a pub and they usually sell these awesome little sandwiches, making them a great lunch stop. Our favorite was the Cafe Thijssen.

Amsterdam is probably my favorite city in the world, after Chicago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cafe Thijssen

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, and if you go to The Netherlands, you MUST have a slice of Appletaart! With fresh whipped cream. And a cup of *real* coffee. You will not be disappointed.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous right now. Just have the appletaart and coffee. For me. I'll know... :)

• chessey24
    10 years ago

We started a river cruise in Amsterdam and it was a very nice city - did a night-time walk with cruise director through the red light district - what an eye-opener! Did see the Van Gogh museum (be ready for long lines unless with a tour) and did a canal boat cruise - would like to go back and spend some time there someday.

We spent a week in Paris a couple of years ago and had no problems- going back sometime soon. We walked a lot, took the Metro and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Didn't have a problem with not speaking French - Bonjour when you enter a shop and au revoir when you leave will generally earn you at least some English. Found the people to be helpful and friendly for the most part. It's a fascinating city.

• Dash2
    10 years ago

Amsterdam is a walking city. There's almost nowhere you cannot walk to. If you are an AAA member, they will map out a walking tour for you. It's part of your membership fees. Otherwise, the hotels all have a concierge on staff. They will be more than happy to assist you.

The Anne Frank house might be a place of interest. Then there's always the tour boats on the canal. And if all else fails, the red-light district is an eye-opener - to say the least. ;)

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so grateful for all these responses. I am learning a lot. Your photos are lovely, Debby. I am happy that they were taken in May, because that's when we are going and I was concerned about what the vegetation, etc. would look like at that time of year. And Appletaart, yum!

SloeGinFizz - thank you for mentioning Cafe Thijssen. I notice on their web site there is mention of a fabric market, something I am definitely interested in.

I also appreciate all the advice about language - that is a concern of mine. I've been trying to learn French from my 10 year old granddaughters, but I may have to get by on "hello," "thank you" and "goodbye" as suggested here.

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

My wife and I went to Amsterdam in October of 2004 for a couple of days before a conference she was attending at The Hague. We went to the Anne Frank House, and the Van Gogh Museum but didn't have time for the Rijksmuseum which I understand is much larger than the Van Gogh museum.

We also saw the flower market, the botanical garden, the red light district, and had coffee (and nothing else) in a "coffeeshop". We had dinner in an Indonesian Restaurant, and visited a church near the train station that has a choir that was just finishing an evening performance. Sint Nicolaaskerk

I remember that we took a canal boat ride around the city, and I think I remember that you could buy a ticket and get on and off over the course of a day. But for the most part we walked everywhere.

During the conference in The Hague, we stayed in Delft which was one train stop away and is a really cute smaller city with a massive church on the town square.

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob - Ooh, Delft. I'm hoping to buy a piece of Delft china in Amsterdam. You were lucky to happen upon a church choir. When we were at the medieval village Carcassonne in France a couple of years ago, four Russian men began singing in the church. It was a magical moment.

Happy to hear from several here that Amsterdam is a walking city. Snidely - Keukenhof is open from March 20 until May 18 this year. We hadn't planned to go there, but the photos on their site look so glorious, we might change our minds.

• dances_in_garden
    10 years ago

I had a friend that went with a group, and they cajoled her into trying a "space cake" at one of the infamous 'coffee shops'. Not only did she pass out, but she slept through the last three days of her trip!

Have a wonderful time, I hear the architecture is amazing. I would love to take a trip there! And paris as well.

Dances.

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

I went to the church because I had read that it is one of the most beautiful in the city (and it was very close to where we were staying) and wanted to take pictures, but when I got there the choir was performing and I felt it would be rude to walk around taking pictures while they were singing. The choir seemed really good, and I think the acoustics of the church made them sound even better.

I looked it up later and found that they sing there fairly regularly, it would be worth checking their schedule to see whether they have a performance scheduled during your visit.

The church was just up the street from the Indonesian restaurant that we went to for Rijsttafel a fixed-price tasting menu of a number of delicious Indonesian dishes. I'll see if I can find info about the one I went to, if it is still there.

• chessey24
    10 years ago

One word of warning: If you do walk through the red-light district, keep your camera tucked away. We were warned that the bouncers would take your camera and throw it in the canal and if you were unlucky, you'd be there too. Don't know how true it is but seemed plausible and why chance it.

• Cherryfizz
    10 years ago

We rented a car and drove from Germany to France and then on the way back to Germany a week later we stayed in Utrecht and drove to Amsterdam the following day to spend the entire day site seeing. Despite a few bad things happening to us I would love to go back for a visit. Dutch people love Canadians and we were treated so well and people stopped to talk to us and many times mentioned how the Canadians liberated them and even thanked us.

We saw everything there was to see and we walked everywhere. We did the canal boat ride, we went to Sex Museum haha, art galleries, museums. Visited Anne Frank's House and after you have walked through the little cramped rooms on the way out they ask you to stay and watch a movie about the concentration camps which brought me to tears and then they proudly show you the Oscar that the Story of Anne Frank won at the Academy Awards. We saw the skinniest house in Amsterdam too.

I don't know why when I travel I always run into pickpockets but we were grateful we were carrying our passports and money in money pouches under our clothes. Numerous times we were approached as we walked through the city.

Have a wonderful time. I have been to Paris and other parts of France 4 times now. I don't do the tour group thing, I stay in the same hotel in Paris The Hotel California, just a small place off the Champs Elysee and plan our itinerary from there.

If you are using a rental car my advice is to park the car in an attended lot. Not fun to come back to your car in the evening after a fun filled day to find the car had been broken into and all your luggage, and the bag that held the airline tickets and all of the rolls of film from the 11 day trip stolen from the trunk,

• chisue
    10 years ago

When in France...respect the French culture. It is very old, and runs very deep. You are supposedly visiting to learn something about France, not convert the French to your language or your ways.

The French are brought up differently. They find many Americans lacking in deportment -- loud, presumptuous, poorly groomed, disrespectful. The French are more 'contained'.

In Hawaii you address another person by first according him recognition, saying, " Aloha". In France you don't hail a stranger with a "Hey!" You say, "Bonjour/Bonsoir," to an individual, even to a shop girl when you enter. If you speak no French, you can say, "Pardonez-moi, j'ai seulment Anglais." (How long would it take to learn a few phrases?) A little attempt is appreciated. You don't walk up to a stranger and bluntly demand to know, "Where's the Metro?"

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I agree with your comments, chisue, but your French sentence is off a bit. "Pardon me, I only have English" is as slightly off and nonsensical in French as in English.

There's no need to ask someone if they speak English, unless you're taking a survey of how many do and how many don't. In any country, smile, say "Hello" (in the local language if you can) and then quietly and politely "Can you help me find .... please" , or " Can you give me directions to the Metro please" or wherever. If they don't speak English, don't understand, or don't want to be bothered, say "Thank You" and try someone else.

• chisue
    10 years ago

snidely -- Ja'i seulment 70 ans. (I have only 70 years.) That's the manner in which I intended to phrase it.

• linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

I enjoyed Amsterdam when I was there in 1971. Walking through the Red Light District was a kick. We went to a cheese factory, a wooden shoe factory and some kind of flower growing place. We stayed in a boatel and had to get used to the motion of the water.

• Dash2
    10 years ago

This should give you a good idea of the City Center.

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love all these comments. Thank you for posting the photograph, Yarnlover. We probably won't be going into the Red Light District (no time or interest) or sampling any "coffee shop" products, or I likely would also sleep for three days! I appreciate all the mentions of security, and perhaps I will purchase an under-clothing wallet such as you used, Cherryfizz. Would hate to lose important valuables. We will not be renting a car, but will be walking or using public transportation. Thank you, Cherryfizz, for reminding me about the status of Canadians in Amsterdam. I didn't realize it was still true these many years after the war ended.

• User
    10 years ago

Don't worry about not being able to speak Dutch. it is manditory that they learn to speak English (although it's the British English.... very close... ;) ), so they'll understand you. Often though, they will automatically think you're Dutch and speak to you in Dutch. Just politely say, "Can you speak English, I can't speak Dutch" and they'll have no problem speaking it for you. Even though I can speak quite a bit of Dutch, it's Canadianized so when I speak it the Dutch say, "she sounds so cute!" so I only speak it in front of my parents. I spoke English my whole trip, and nobody minded.

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

I can see not especially want to see the "Red Light District" but if there is something you want to see that happens to be in the Red Light District I wouldn't let that stop you.

For instance the Oude Kerk (Old Church), the oldest building in Amsterdam, is near the center of the Red Light District and the Indonesian Rijsttafel restaurant I went to (which some consider to be the best in Amsterdam) is on the edge of the District near the Central Train Station. One thing you can do if you are still in doubt, is use Google street view for a virtual tour of the area and you can see that for the most part is just narrow streets with shops, cafes, restaurants, residences, its just that some of the shops and cafes openly offer things for sale that many places hide away.

Aneka Rasa -- Indonesian Rijsttafel restaurant

I mentioned that there are hop-on/hop-off canal boats for traveling around the city. We didn't do that because we didn't find out about that option until the day was half over. We did take a canal boat trip from where we were staying in the city center to the Van Gogh Museum and back. Some reviews of the hop-on/hop-off option say that the boats come by infrequently, and that you spend more time waiting than it would take to just walk. Similarly in some areas buses may be slower than walking due to traffic and congestion.

If you are at all a fan of beer, try to find a pub that has Westmalle Tripel, a beer made by Belgian monks that some consider the best beer in the world.

Here are some pictures from our trip.

The Train Station

A Bicycle Parking ramp near the Train Station

A couple of impressive shopping centers

The Flower Market

Some Street Views

Some Canal Views

And the Rijksmuseum

I've also post pictures of Delft and Rotterdam in recent days "You Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine" threads.

Have a great trip!

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting your beautiful photos and for your advice about the Red Light District, etc., Bob. I also saw your Delft / Rotterdam photos at the other site. What amazing architecture!

I so appreciate all the advice that I have gotten since posting my question here.

Debby - thank you for your reassurance about language. Cherryfizz - I have just found out that the days that we will be in Amsterdam - May 4 and 5 - are devoted to liberation celebrations, especially May 5 which is Liberation Day. As you may know, Canadians are especially honored because it is our troops that liberated Holland during WW II and also made food drops to the starving population. So I will be sure to wear my shirt with its Canada logo on May 5.

This post was edited by stacey_mb on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 17:42

• kathleenca
    10 years ago

Stacy, my daughter & I were in Amsterdam the 3rd week of April last year. It was still cool (low 50s) with showers almost every day, but the trees were budding out & the grass was greening. I didn't see any mention here of the tram/street car service, which is very good. Lots of routes & they run about every ten minutes. It's not inexpensive - a day ticket is a better deal rather than a single fare. Almost all the tram stops have route maps on the backs of the stop shelters.

The Rijksmuseum had just opened when we arrived & we spent a couple of hours in the Dutch masters area. They do close at 5 PM. There is a very pleasant-looking restaurant in the center of the bldg.

English is spoken everywhere - we never had a problem. Be sure to try a Dutch pancake with butter & powdered sugar - a national treasure, & big - about 10 inches across. Yum yum. There's a local restaurant across from the flower market that has good ones. Many sidewalks, especially along the canals, are cobbled - my ankles got tired of holding me straight.

Wish I could tuck into your suitcase - you will be enthralled.

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for those ideas, Kathleenca. I hope to try a Dutch pancake, yummy! Happy to hear that they are sold near the flower market, it's close to our hotel. I have sturdy shoes/sandals that I wear on trips like this so that I don't have to think about my feet. Thank you for letting me know that it was a bit coolish at the time of year that you were there. I prefer cool over too warm, especially if we're going to walk a lot, and we're bringing water-resistant jackets for any rain.

• User
    10 years ago

don't wear the sandals! Trust me on this one. Wear very good, comfortable running shoes. When I told my dad I was taking sandals he told me to leave them home. I took them anyway, but never wore them, and I'm so glad. As kathleenca said, the sidewalks are squares of cement and brick. Because the ground moves a lot there, they don't use cement sidewalks like we have. So walking on them can be tricky. Wear running shoes.

• User
    10 years ago

Me again! I'm so excited for you..... :) I follow a group on Facebook called Stuff Dutch People Like. They posted this aerial picture yesterday of Amsterdam. I also added a link to a page full of webcams to give you an idea of what it's like there before you go. I watched them for weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: WEBCAMS IN AMSTERDAM

This post was edited by debby_ab on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 9:32

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for this, Debby, how cool!

• stacey_mb
    Original Author
    20 days ago

How did this old thread get resurrected? We did go to Amsterdam and had an absolutely wonderful time!

• Elmer J Fudd
    20 days ago

How were you able to go without this last bit of advice? Were you in a hurry?

stacey_mb thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • stacey_mb
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Elmer - LOL!!

• sjerin
    19 days ago

Just more clanestine advertising, which is usually the case when old threads reappear.

stacey_mb thanked sjerin