SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Stuck on UGLY, help pick lamp & table

jterrilynn
13 years ago

Hi, me again! I'm still getting this room together, still need to adjust sculpture behind TV and do some de-cluttering. As a reminder I can't put couch in front of TV due to entrances to other areas on both sides of room.

Please help pick a lamp table and lamp for this UGLY corner. I'm open to any ideas you have for this room though. I am not the sort who gets offended!!! I am keeping the fabric that everyone hates over the windows though because I do like them very much. These are the best pictures I can get until I have some lighting, below are my other lighting picks and accent colors. I did find a side table at Homegoods, took the little bun feet off and added a colorful tray. I can not change the corner chair right now. But I am stuck on that corner table and lamp!!!

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=livingroomaftersidetable006.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1633616}}
http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=uglycorner001.jpg"; target="_blank">

My Homegoods table with tray cost a whopping total of $60 but need to spring $$$ for lighting.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=livingroomaftersidetable004.jpg"; target="_blank">

This light is on its way for behind the pale yellow chair where I read.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=swingarmfloorlamp.jpg"; target="_blank">

I'm thinking of ordering this floor lamp for beside the sofa

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=robertabbydarkantiquebrass.jpg"; target="_blank">

I sort of like this table lamp but keep thinking about what Pal said about needing something with a little more girth. Plus I have already used that accent color on the tray/bowl for new side table and think if I do a color it should be something in the tapestries on the wall besides the teal?

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=oquahandblownglassballtablelamp.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=rearrangedlivingroom002.jpg"; target="_blank">

What would you do? PLEASE pick me a table lamp and lamp. Don't worry about price, I can always find something close but cheaper.

Comments (45)

• graywings123
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The corner is an awkward arrangement (IMO) because you have a chair in front of the table. The purpose of a room is to make the people in it comfortable. So someone sitting in that chair can't access the table (to put down a drink or a book). I would pull the table away from the wall and have it beside the chair, which might require that you remove the etagere.

I would rather see a lamp on an end table next to the sofa rather than just a floor lamp for the same reason as above - the comfort of the person sitting on the sofa.

I would add a torchiere somewhere in the room so that you have a light source that shoots some light on to the ceiling. It will brighten the room without glare.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

graywings, do you think maybe a taller/larger type of nesting table would work in that corner or centered in front of window? That way I could add a lamp with a few smaller pictures of the family and the shorter table could be pulled out when needed.

• Related Discussions

Help picking side lamp!

Q

Comments (16)
    From my standpoint, you have one lamp next to a sizeable sectional - so scale-wise, something with a bit more heft might balance it out and make more of a statement. I also think the black base might get lost a bit with the black table - and whatever you would gain with the interesting lines on the lamp may get lost in the sauce, so to speak.
    ...See More

Need Help Picking some lamps

Q

Comments (21)
    Lamps need to serve a purpose, and they serve no purpose on that small console table. If you own that house, please consider paying an electrician to install a ceiling fixture in the living and dining area. If you don't want to do that, then please put lamps where they serve a purpose. For example: 1. Get a larger side table between the two chairs and put a lamp there that would serve the purpose as a reading lamp and as ambient lighting as well. 2. Get a nice floor lamp that can accommodate a three way bulb and plug it in at the outlet between the couch and the chair and that will serve as ambient lighting. (some beautiful vintage torcheres can be found)
    ...See More

Help picking rug and coffee table shape with corner fireplace!

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree with jck910..about the rug but if you want your sofa in the same place, TV should go on the left side of the fireplace. If you have room for your sofa to face the back wall, then put your TV on the right side of the fireplace. I am not sure how much room you would have with the door where it is if you put the sofa facing the back wall. My son has a corner fireplace....difficult to arrange furniture around one. As for coffee table, depends on lamps/end tables and etc. Wait for those until you get your small sofa, TV entertainment stand and etc.
    ...See More

stuck with an ugly bathroom tile what to do!?

Q

Comments (23)
    He thinks painting the tile will look bad, it will look painted. He's done it once before and the results were not great in his opinion. I will shop around for new bulbs that read less yellow. And I think I'll get the tile color matched and lightened to try a patch. Otherwise I'm also thinking White dove satin on the wall and semi gloss on the trims and waiscotting. that way I can play with colors in the rest of the room and am not tied to green ... if that makes sense. Thank you all for your inputs! I'll post a picture of the final product when we get there!
    ...See More
  • jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think maybe I might not get much help because I am not decorating in colors or metals that are popular with most. Plus, there are certain things I'm stuck with. So, imagine the room is a pale green or gray and all my metals are a silver tone.
    Please help me!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

jterrilynn: I love the floor lamp you've already purchased. I don't really see the other two playing happily with it, though. I'm having difficulty making out details of your room, such as current tables, etc. because the picture looks blurry on my monitor, so it's hard to make suggestions. I'm also not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for an additional table and lamp for beside the wood armchair rather than the one behind it?

I've never known the color of someone's room or metals keeping anyone here from giving feedback.
    Dee

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dee, yes I do need help fiquring out lighting picks (visuals would be most welcome)and a table for the ugly corner or centered in front of window table. Graywings brought up a good point about needing a table by the chair with a zebra throw. So, I was thinking maybe some sort of larger taller nesting type table where I could tuck the little table back when not in use, but don't know. I will try an post another picture when the lighting changes outside, maybe I can get a better picture then. Plus my swing arm reading light just came. This will have to do for now, nothing is in it's right place or angle and there is no zebra throw on corner chair, no adjustments yet to wall sculpture above tv ect ect...I am brain dead from looking for the right table and lighting, been to millions of places and not sure what would look best. I'm about to cut off my ear lol.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=livingroomaftersidetable002.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1633630}}

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Let me say this another way. I come to visit and sit down in this room to talk to you or read a book or watch TV. I want a light source next to me that I can easily reach over and turn on or off. I want a side table where I can set down a cup of coffee. I want the side table to be high enough but not too high (even with the arm of the chair is ideal), and sturdy enough and large enough to fit with the furniture and not have to worry that I am going to knock it over.

Now, given that, sit in the various places in your room and see if I would be comfortable.

You don't need to fill a corner of a room. You can leave it empty. A side table with a bowl on it doesn't serve as a side table. It just takes up space.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I think you have a nice warm room there to relax in. It does feel a little congested to me. I think I would skip the piece over the tv or try something smaller. I do like the oval center to break things up but altogether the piece is too wide. If possible, can you open the drapes wider so more of the window is exposed? The openings read too narrow. I'd also add more lamps to the room. You need the light and they also add a lot of ambience. I think the plant on the right feels too heavy. I'd remove that and try the red lamp in that corner where it might also provide more useful lighting than behind the chair. I'd also move the large pretty turquoise bowl to the coffee table. I like the addition of a cool accent with the right muted blues. Looks like there's some in your pillows too. Could that small side table (cleared top) be tucked in on the other side of the chair without looking too congested with the bookcase? As mentioned, you need large enough service tables around the seating so people can rest their food and beverages.

I see you've got a tile pattern on the floor but think a patterned rug would really add a lot of softness and textural interest to the space.

You've done a great job pulling together your finds! (IIRC from another thread)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi graywings, thank you for your advice!!! I did buy a lamp on a whim at homegoods, I say a whim because I'm starting to think I'll never find the right lighting and the light was only $35. However, like you said I don't have to fill that corner so I can either take the lamp back or use it in another spot. I do like my brass reading light that came yesterday though because it has a sight saver curly bulb that's really nice when sitting in the chair. So, back to looking for side tables for the zebra chair, maybe I'll explore glass blocks so it won't look anymore cluttered but don't know, I'm thinking the room has enough metal and enough glass. My side table with the bowl has actually turned out great as it has 11" of space inside. I couldn't get a larger side due to hall entrance and if the Retrievers tail starts swinging all objects stay contained. That was an accidental good convenient buy lol!

This is what my room normally looks like and the reason for the somewhat disposable area rug.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view¤t=livingroomwithnewlamp001.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1633632}}

New cheap lamp

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view¤t=livingroomwithnewlamp007.jpg"; target="_blank">

My chair with new brass reading light

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view¤t=livingroomwithnewlamp003.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1633635}}

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Spring-meadow, we must have be posting at the same time. I'm going to try all your suggestions and get back!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

How about a garden stool for next to your reading chair with your new light since you don't need a table for a lamp there? Then, move your small side table next to your zebra chair? I agree with graywings. The large bowl on top of the table takes all its function away.

I'm also not sure about displaying wine bottles in a living area.

You have a great, eclectic space.

Dee

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Love the new lamp! I was thinking the same thing with the bowl. If it's flat inside, you've got yourself a spill-proof table ;) Essentially, I was saying the coffee table could use something and that looked like a good fit while freeing up the table. I'm not sure why that plant bothers me. Maybe the various dark masses, more variety being needed. Some light is needed there. More light would help otherwise to bring the colors and surfaces alive and out of shadow. I might try something on the top shelf of the bookcase to break the lines up around the room between the valances and the shelving.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spring are you still there? What do you think of this? Ok now I'm getting somewhere, thanks spring! Now I know it's not just right yet and the wall sculpture needs adjusting but the room does look better. I will post another picture in the evening as the glare from windows does not make for a good picture. With the little side table tucked on other side of chair I don't have to worry about the dogs whipping things over. I miss the green in the corner but have to admit the room looks more open without it. This is the sort of help I needed because I'm so used to looking at my junk I couldn�t see past it. It's so much harder when it's your own home you are critiquing. I am still tortured over lighting and side table but now I can look at the room differently so that may help. Lighting picks is certainly my weak spot as I do not understand how the different heights and such work in a room. Graywing suggested a torchiere in the room and I'm thinking the right area at back end?

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=roomwithoutplant001.jpg"; target="_blank">

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And, here is another with side table tucked on other side but bring the plant back. Which do you prefer?

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=plantback001.jpg"; target="_blank">

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The last pic is nice. ;)
    I like the lamp with the teal glass orbs you showed above much more than the Homegoods one. I think you have enough pattern and the glass one seems light and airy.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

You've got great energy! Yes, I prefer the way it looks more open. The window area looks much better widened. Looking forward to seeing more clearly without the camera glare. Your drapes are very pretty. That's great you can just remove the side pieces on the sculpture. It fits nicely now and I think the oval will look very nice filling that area.

I do think you're losing the pretty lines of your curvy French chair (a nice contrast) with the throw. I'm sure it does look different irl than what we can see in the photo. I would try it somewhere else. Possibly the left arm of the reading chair or the ottoman.

I do like the plant. The lamp on the left doesn't seem quite right. Does the table not work to the right of the chair as a service table? It's alright to swing it around and overlap the bookcase a bit (provided there's enough room of course). Too much with the other small table now to the left of the bookcase? In its present location, I'd also try moving the lamp to the left side of the table rather than the right (where it falls behind the chair). And would try the lamp/table in the right corner. That location would seem like a good balancing point against the bookcase and French chair. Not too heavy and the lighting in a more functional position.

Remember to check the other angles from around the room, not just from the entry point.

I agree you've created a great eclectic space!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Oh I missed that floor lamp! Is that new to the mix? Really like that. Looks great there. Adds some flair. Nice diversity with the style. Of course now we've moved the table, lol. Hopefully looks just as good. Love the shots of color with the pillow, bowl, and the gold of the brass.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi dianalo, I guess you can tell I seem to have an affinity towards stacked orb lights lol, now I need to pick. I too like the room with the plant back. However, taking some of the end frill pieces of the wall sculpture helped a lot. Also, the room does look less cluttered with the side table on other end of chair (thanks Spring!).
    Spring, that table behind the zebra chair is going to the trash, it's beyond repair. That area is giving me a hard time. Some say not to fill that spot and I don't have to but would miss having something there because I like little family pictures and a lamp.
    I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE this see through side table for next to zebra chair, it perfectly suits my quirky side. When I put the little wood side table that was next to the pale yellow chair next to the zebra chair, the room started looking junky cluttered again. I have not found a price yet but I'm sure this table will be over what I can spend (master bath gut this next summer). Whaaaaaa, I want it!

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view¤t=imagesCAJMSXDN.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view¤t=Modern-Glass-Table-Design-Ideas.jpg"; target="_blank">

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

That's another possibility too. Move the chair in closer to the bookcase and the table over to its left, fireplace side, instead. Helps with the 'something placed in each corner' look by spreading things out more. Using different heights (as well as varying color and mass (visual weight), in those two corner areas will also help with the redundant look.

That funny, I was wondering the same thing to reduce the congestion but still have the table service, maybe a clear table. Couldn't quite picture it but that's a great one!

You're welcome. Glad something helped.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Not craigs list but I thought it would be much much more than $270!

Here is a link that might be useful: acrylic table

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love that table and this one

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=stone_06.jpg"; target="_blank">

Both tables are from Design Republic and are cheap. The folds table may be a bit large for the space at 16" deep, the one above is smaller and I think will fit better.
    Will it look Cheesy to add an acrylic side table? I do like the look!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I moved the chair over by the bookcase thingy...huge improvement in making the room look larger...but that table the lamp is on Ewww it's making me sick! My kitchen is dark cherry base with mirrored pale yellow wall cabs, its all open to family room. Maybe something somewhat shallow in dark cherry with straight lines to hold pictures and the lamp. Then one of the side tables above.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

The acrylic tables are intriguing. Tiny little thing. I didn't realize it was only 17" deep. I don't think you need to go real small. Tabletops are good as is varying their sizes. An open table could overlap with the fireplace surround a bit, feeling cozy rather than too cramped (acrylic might be a problem with the heat!). Maybe you have other tables around the house you could mock up the arrangement for sizing.

I do think the acrylic would be conflicting with your tile floor. If you plan on a rug that it would rest on maybe that could work to integrate it. Hard to picture but an interesting idea. You did mention having a lot of glass pieces already. If it's just the coffee table and bookcase, I think you could do three. Depends other glossy or glass surfaces too, like the art pieces over the sofa, if they read as a lot of glass, it's feeling like too much. The drapes also look to have a sheen (maybe not very apparent irl to worry about). It doesn't sound like something you could pick up locally to return and I'd be afraid to special order, myself. If you're really interested, fabric stores sell clear acrylic by the yard for a mockup. Or clear shower liners for about $4.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I know you and spring are in sync on your room right now...but I was wondering if you could just take the table out of the window (just to see what it looks like with that corner empty) move the chair back just a bit and just for the visual (I'm not suggesting a permanent move) use your new little table and floor reading lamp next to the zebra chair. It might help you see the space without something in that corner and maybe another floor lamp would be the answer, perhaps that's where the torcheire could go, if you won't use that chair for reading. I really like the plant back where you have it, the blue bowl on the coffee table etc.

One thought I had about the wall decor was, while I love the framed tapestries as a unit, there seems to be enough of them that perhaps you'd consider rehanging the large one with two on each side centered over the couch, then move 4 of them above the tv instead of the oval decor item - perhaps horizontally arranged?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Olychic, good idea about taking that ugly table out and adding a few things for a new perspective. The tapestries do need some help; think you are right about taking some of the small ones off wall to lighten the load. I need to adjust them anyway so tonight when there is no glare from the windows I will repost with the changes you both suggested as they are working to improve this room.

I can't bring myself to take down the sculpture above TV, it's so me and a reminder to people about whom they are dealing with when they come to visit lol. The TV will be changing in the near future (about to bite the dust) new TV will not be so high but knowing husband it will be as wide.

Spring, my fireplace is not real. I made it years ago (with husband help) to be used as a TV stand and stereo components storage. At the time I saw no others like this but have over the last two years (they are copying me lol). At the time there were not a lot of options for TV stands unless you wanted a high tech look.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

it will be fun to see what you try...and not knowing who we are dealing with...:-) maybe you could find another place for the oval sculpture in the room. My suggestion about the square tapestries over the tv(I think they look great as a unit where they are now, but centered behind the couch) was just that they might balance off the big black square of the tv better than the oval where it is. Maybe the sculpture could sit on the top of the shelving unit against the wall? It's hard to know because it's difficult to see what it is from the photo on my tiny laptop.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Olychic, you know what my problem is? Well I'll tell ya, I have heard designers on TV say things like...I check the wardrobe of the client to see the colors and style for a perspective on what they may like in decorating and design. If one of those designers came to my house and looked at my clothes and colors they still wouldn't have a clue. However, if they looked at the jewelry I wore they would know exactly. I'm not big on rings, ear rings or fancy necklaces, although I do wear them on rare occasions. What I do wear every time I leave the house is one med sized vintage brooch and I can not have enough of them. So, the sculpture above the TV is my living room brooch, it's part of who I am as odd as that may be.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Got it! That is a great and perfect description of who you are and explanation of the sculpture as beloved. I was just suggesting perhaps moving the brooch to the living room lapel. 8-)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol, hehehe...you are killing me!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update with ugly messed up table gone.
    I like this 1st picture better than the 2nd picture but lamp can not stay on that little brass top table. Husband is lying on the sofa right now and is worried about moving his arms or stretching and knocking it over.I'm going back to the adjustable height floor lamp idea I think.
    I also do not have the zebra throw right on the chair but it may look ok if I adjust it.
    In the 2nd picture I do not like zebra throw on stool (but do like the zebra) and I do not like the lamp located in far right side due to the fact that the lamp shade reflects in the large tapestry acrylic frame (badly). A torchiere is definately needed in that area but not sure if I should get a table top kind or a torch on a pole.

What do you all think about that corner now that the table is gone? Don't you think the lamp with shade looked better over there if it had something to sit on?

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=LVRwithtablegone007.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=LVRwithtablegone006.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1603367}}

ADJUSTABLE Height floor lamp

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=robertabbydarkantiquebrass.jpg"; target="_blank">

P.S I have not had time to adjust the pictures behind sofa yet.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I was wondering where the light was coming from in the left corner. Can hardly see the floor lamp there! That corner does look incomplete with the small bare table.

I think you're good with a table and lamp on the left with the tree on the right, but coupled with the chair rather than behind it. If you can also offset the chair from the corner so it looks good, better. Is the brass table bigger? Maybe swap that one in to see another size that a lamp would fit on.

I don't care for the throw covering the ottoman. It would look better draped as it is on the chair or over an arm. I still think it's too much for the smaller chair. You might be able to do a lightweight scarf on that one or a small lumbar pillow without overwhelming it.

For some reason the lamp's shade looks a lot bigger than the other pics. Is this a different shade or lamp?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Spring, I need to stare at these pictures for a while. You bring up a good point about that lamp shade, the size looked right in the left corner but I will need something smaller when or if I ever fiqure out the lighing for the sofa.
    This site and everyone's help is great, it's the little things...I would have bought a lamp for the sofa with the same size shade and had to take them back, but now I know.
    I should have taken one picture with the chair on/near the left wall with back left wall open for ideas.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I like the corner without the table behind the chair. I'd find the table you are going to use next to the chair before you decide on a lamp for there. You'll want to make sure there is enough room to put a table lamp on it and that it is the right scale/height for both the table and chair. If you decide to do a torchiere or floor lamp there, then I wouldn't choose another floor lamp for the sofa area because you would then have 3 unrelated floor lamps and no table lamps. I'd pull the little chair back out a tiny bit so it doesn't look so stuck in the corner

If you move the framed tapestries to center over the sofa, would that eliminate the glare from the table lamp where you have it?

What is the fern sitting on, or is it a tree? I like the greenery in the room, but if you do a table lamp there, maybe a fern lower and out from the wall, kind of in the window, so all the things on the left wall aren't so lined up on one plane. You could also try it behind the little chair, just to see. I just can't see exactly what it is on my monitor. You are getting there!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is another picture that shows the dead corner better, although the picture itself is bad. Ideally I would like some sort of corner nesting table type around 25" to 28" tall and big enough for a lamp and a few small pictures...then have the smaller nesting table out near the chair. But I'm just asking too much I guess because there is nothing on planet earth. In the end I will probably make something only to find them everywere in the next year or so, I probably won't be able to walk down the road without tripping over all sorts of corner tables.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=Livromchairwall002.jpg"; target="_blank">

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi olychick, must have been posting at the same time as I did not see your post there. I'm going to go outside for a bit and think about what you wrote...this room is on my nerve!

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I really like the last pic you posted..just a little table and you'd be set (except I guess you still need lighting on the couch side)? It looks uncrowded and welcoming, etc.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I like the chair pulled back. I still think an open legged table next to it on its left would look nice. You could either do a table lamp (like the idea of a substantial base ... with curves) or a floor lamp looks nice too but it would need something on the table. I'd try to get the plant and the lamp heights different. Agree the plant looks too perpendicular to the wall. A little shift would do it I think. Pulled out and over to the left a bit.

• erinsean
    13 years ago

How often do you sit in that corner chair to read? Do you really need a lamp? How about putting your plant in that corner by the fireplace, along with your chair.....and put your lamp where the plant was...at the end of the sofa. Your little table looked okay, but IMHO it should be between the chair and the fireplace. Really like that corner with only the chair in it however...Makes your room look neat.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Poor sad lonely little chair! The reading light has gone back to the place it was intended, near the pale yellow chair. At night there is no light in that corner for the lonely chair and I think it has smuggled at least two bottles of wine off that rack since the revamping.

See how different the view is when sitting on sofa? It's pitiful! What I want though does not exist, see above.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=poorchair001.jpg"; target="_blank">

My plant does not work in the sad corner.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=poorchair002.jpg"; target="_blank">

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I think you are too hard on your corner. I love it now that we can see that lovely painting. Perhaps not sad and lonely, just enjoying the quiet, uncluttered space. :-) I think it will look great when you find a table and lamp. Do you like the idea of a table lamp or floor lamp there? That will make the choice of the table easier, once you decide. It's a pretty room.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

lol jterri, well I didn't know your chair had a drinking problem or I wouldn't have suggested she sit next to the bar!

Seriously, I agree it does looks incomplete at this point. I think a round table in that spot with a lamp or floor lamp will finish it off. It'll all look great together with that piece of art as a backdrop. Try doing a mockup with your brass table or something. It might make you feel better.

In the meantime, until you find the right table, if the dogbed is decent looking, tuck that under the window to fill up some of the floor space temporarily. Looks like a cozy spot for a doggie nap. Or move the chair over more towards the fireplace.

You're getting there!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm thinking since my table does not exist that maybe I can find two cheap nesting corner tables with the taller one at or before 28"h with glass tops and graceful cheap black metal legs and then I'll goldleaf the black legs & very lightly age it a bit to cut down on the vibrancy. My goal here is to have something sturdy but light and airy and useful for a lamp table and drink table. I know anything dark will not look right after trying the little wood table there, anything dark will bring back a cluttered look.

• peegee
    13 years ago

Hope I can chime in - although I'm not totally comfortable commenting as the pictures are pretty grainy on my screen. I wonder if what is really bothering you is more of a problem with scale and weight/balance. First I should say your curtains are lovely and your sofa and chair with ottoman look so comfy. The table as other's have pointed out did not look or function well behind the chair. However, the chair is rather delicate, and it and the stand next to it are both leggy. This may be partially what is bothering you. Additionally, the lovely picture behind the chair almost overpowers the chair. It's hard to tell from the photos but it might work better if the painting were lowered down to the height of the etegere. I would soften the look on the etegere by substituting the topmost items with one soft and low mounding form like an ivy with some trailing stems...the weight would help balance the heavyish lovely valances, and provide needed contrast to the multiple verticle items on the various shelves. The inside top shelf might look even better empty with the low plant on the next shelf down...
    Then something to connect the chair to the etegere and painting, which could be a floor plant or a floor vase with some fronds or something with some height but not too cluttery on the floor against the wall to contrast between the stick legs of the stand and the chair, with substantial enough base/weight- not a stick base - but not enough to overpower the delicate chair. Depending on the height of the shelf, you may be able to have a cleared space on the glass near the chair to serve as the place to put a drink and plate and snacks. It might possibly work to substitute a small fat lamp sitting on the shelf for the separate table and table lamp that may just clutter up the room more. Just my thoughts. Whatever you do, have fun! You have such a lovely space!!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm peegee, you are giving me something to think about. Pal brought up the leggie thing in another post and I do think that's bothering me. At the same time though I can't have a table that's too dark or solid mass-y. I maybe need to look at a sort of light airy cylinder or ???

Boy I really hate it when I get obsessed on something in particular when decorating and that corner is my horrible obsession. Please don't give up on me all you wonderful people!
    When husband and I did our diy kitchen I became obsessed with bar stools, I mean really obsessed to the point that I know I nearly drove everyone nuts. I found my stools but didn't have the courage to spring for the big bucks (to me). Luckily a truly wonderful gal on the kitchen forum who understood my vision eased me into it...best money I ever spent because the wild stools really tell the story in my kitchen with mirrored doors.

When I find this stinking table I will feel like I won the lottery, thats how I felt when I found the cool gold circle stools.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Some good points from peegee. I was thinking the same last night with the delicate chair. The other table you tried was small and a bit chunky. Something larger would actually look less cluttered. It isn't always adding more items that gives a cluttered look but rather too many items that are on the small side.

Didn't pay much attention to the painting. It does need to come down. Having the chair overlap it a bit would be a good thing, imo, and a nice backdrop. I'd offset it a bit below the etagere rather than line it up. Maybe the height of the small group over the sofa?

You want that seating to be a part of the conversation area so possibly you could pull it out just alittle bit more, with its side table set slightly back so it's not sticking out into the space. You just need to keep playing with it, nudging here and there while viewing from different angles to find the right balance.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago