SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

Color help for Home Office

hhireno
12 years ago

I'm redoing my husband's home office and need paint color advice. The room is 11x13 with 2 windows. The south window is 50" wide (trim included), the west window is 36".

The trim will be BM Vanilla Ice Cream to match most of the other trim in the house.Vanilla ice cream

He has a 3 piece corner desk & bookshelf unit that is probably closest in stain to the Minwax red chestnut

3rd row, 3rd from left

I'm considering this rug Rustic Blocks Rug probably in the 7x10 size but would the 7x7 be too small? I have a 9x12 now and I'd prefer to get the front of the furniture & file cabinets off the rug. The current rug is a solid color and looks grungy so I'm thinking a pattern will be good.

I'm having the wheeled office chair recovered but will probably leave the 2 visitor chairs the same. I haven't picked the fabric for the chair yet. I'm going to ask about the cost of recovering the visitor chairs but unless they're giving it away, I doubt I'll spend the money. They are still in excellent shape. They are covered in a solid burgundy, kind of twill fabric.

I bought the smallest size rug to bring home to use as a sample. The binding is black and the edges have a lot of black.

Using that I pulled 3 Behr paint cards as possible colors. I am not wedded to Behr, I usually use BM but it was convenient to get the rug & pick some paint cards right there. I am considering jumping on the gray bandwagon so I picked Pier UL200-4. I also grabbed Juniper Ash UP220-21 and Wasabi powderUL200-16. I also bought sample jars and will paint white board to see how these colors look next to the wood.

Any thoughts on those colors in this room? With the trim color? Will they be too dark, too light? What should I do for the ceiling?

For the windows I'm getting rid of the TDBU shades and using ivory sheers that match the vanilla ice cream color. I'll probably add stationary panels for color and/or pattern.

I'm really open to any suggestions. I don't care for yellows but I'll consider them if someone offers a compelling case. In case it matters, the room does not have any overhead light, all illumination is desk and floor lamps (and I need more of those now that I think about it).

Thanks for your help.

Comments (7)