SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuxnado

We could really use your help with our home office

Nicole R
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Moved in recently, and starting to work on our study. We have a new desk, which needs to stay. It might be a tad large for the room, but it was one of only a few my fiancé and I agreed on. He also got the chair which he loves -- not a battle worth fighting :)

The room is 12ft by 13ft and has tall ceilings. The walls and ceiling are the same light beige color as the rest of the house, it looks a little darker and more yellow here because of the lighting fixture.

We'll need bookcases and a rug. The staircase on the other side of the hall has deep blue carpeting, so continuing the blue is an option, but I was also thinking of green, perhaps in the rug, some artwork, and plants. The house overall is Mediterranean-style, we've been slowly updating it while trying to keep a little nod to the original style of the house.

I was thinking of two tall, traditional style bookcases on the wall behind the desk, one in each corner, and perhaps some floating shelves in between. The bookcases would be 40" wide to end right where the desk starts. Yay or nay? I'm not sure there's enough room for cabinets behind the chair. We have a bunch of diplomas that we'd like to finally hang up, years after earning them, but we're undecided on which wall to use. I am open to painting the walls and ceiling, but unfortunately the plantation windows will be difficult to have painted and I'd rather leave them as they are (darker beige, in the same family as the walls).

If you have any suggestions on furniture and diploma/art placement, furniture itself, rugs, color scheme, etc we would be grateful. I'm having a little difficulty with the fact the floors are a deep brown wood, and the desk is a lighter almost ashy blonde color -- I've never been great at mixing wood tones. Maybe dark espresso, black, or white for the bookcases?

Thanks in advance. If I hadn't discovered this website I might still be sitting in an empty house.

Comments (30)