SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebrathedebra

Two Females? Am I crazy?

ebrathedebra
17 years ago

Long story short:

Have been planning all along to get female miniature schnauzer pup from breeder.

While waiting for pups to be born, came upon great opportunity to foster to adopt a female lab rescue. Well, we have her and love her and have had her about one month and she's doing great (she's a keeper).

Just got word that schnauzer pups have been born. I really want the schnauzer too but really want a female because I find that with smaller dogs - the males just seem to loooovvvee marking their territory and lifting that leg where ever they go. I know this behavior is supposed to be diminished after neutering but I've seen it happen after the fact, as well.

I've always heard it's better to have a male/female mix rather than 2 of same sex. Am I asking for real trouble by putting 2 females together or will the issues be mitigated because one is a puppy and the other (lab) is around 2?

I would appreciate ANY advice you all can share!

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• bessiedawg
    17 years ago

I have two females and have never had any problems. The oldest was 5 y/o when we got the female puppy. The older one spoiled that puppy terribly. When the puppy would start looking bored with whatever toy she had, the older one would go to the toy basket and get something else out and take it to her. They are still best buddies. Now I can't address your mental state to determine if you are truly crazy, but I would doubt it. LOL. Good luck. Linda

• groomingal
    17 years ago

Yeah for your foster and new puppy!!!!
    I have 2 females, both shih tzus, one is 4 and the other is almost 3. I just got the 3 yr old about 6 months ago and they get along pretty well. I also have an 8 month old male rottie and he gets along just fine with both of them. I've only had him for about 4 months.

As far as marking their spot, i've seen neutered and intact do it. I believe that marking can be greatly diminished with proper training, it is an unacceptable behavior no matter what the size dog. My male is intact and does not hike to mark, I never allowed it and he doesn't do it. He may squat in the grass to pee after one of the girls but no leg hiking to mark territory.

I say go for the two females if that is what you want and Good Luck!!!! :) (post pics too!, I'd love to see your new babies!)

• Related Discussions

Am I crazy that I am already planning for the fall Swaps to start

Q

Comments (7)
    Lowe's may have seeds year round from what I've been told. They won't be clearance racking any of those this year. We've got orders to keep the shelves stocked and neatly organized. I think it has something to do with the economy. I've already started collecting my own seeds. I'm not saving them yet, but spreading them where I want more of something next year. I'll start collecting once the breadseed poppies are ripe.
    ...See More

Am I just crazy or...?

Q

Comments (2)
    Okay we got our small fix of good news. MR. Blue has been with a female this evening! Thing is...maybe I was wrong. Could it be that he was just singing; a happy bird? It's too hard to tell because I didn't see anything happen yesterday...I even saw her in the early afternoon And also both birds have been in the box and have defended from the swallows. I will leave the nest either way. Hopw I see eggs soon! If they don't begin again soon there won't be an opportunity for a 2nd nesting.
    ...See More

I am looking for a picture of a large female dog nursing puppies

Q

Comments (4)
    Just web search the breed you are interested in and what you are looking for specifically, be sure to get permission to use whatevere you find. There is alot out there - most free. good luck
    ...See More

I think I am crazy. All my trees have been outside! How about yours?

Q

Comments (51)
    Alanna, I think MOST of us feel the same way! Those of us that have to grow them inside that is..Can you imagine how many people that don't even come here have the same issues? And worst yet, I have been growing them since I was 10 years old!! I have never had a perfect banner year with every tree, but thank God 99 percent of them do ok and the 1 percent that does not do well, goes in the trash! I feel your pain too. There is no perfect environment to grow them perfectly unless you grow them in an area they are accustomed t Oh the joys of this hobby...lol
    ...See More
  • mazer415
    17 years ago

I think it depends on the individual dogs, but you are right in being worried, some females will not tolerate another female and will fight. I think if you get them early enough and spend some good time training and dont leave them for an extended amount of time until you are comfortable in how they are interacting

• wooderlander
    17 years ago

Not all small male dogs do that. We have a tall boy and a very short boy, and neither of them lifts his leg to mark. They both squat like girls. :-)

I would never have another female with our female, but that's just her. It might work out for you, if you're careful as mazer said.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

I don't think you'll have a problem, especially since the newcomer will be a puppy.

Females tend to mother babies, whether the babies are puppies or kittens or whatever.

• foosacub
    17 years ago

Usually puppies can adjust... I'd test the lab with a female at a dog park or the like. Congrats on adopting, good luck!

• prairie_love
    17 years ago

We have always had two female (spayed) dogs at the same time with absolutely no problems.

• Javalava
    17 years ago

We've also always had females with no problems. We've got a 4 yr old Golden Retriever and had a 9 year old chocolate lab until December when she died suddenly. Last May we added a little Havanese/Lhasa. They were all great together. Our lab was such a sweetheart and she is sorely missed. They're great dogs.

• lilod
    17 years ago

I always had females together, spayed,of course,never had any problems. Currently,on the property - 3 owners, six dogs, all females. no problems.

• spiritual_gardner
    17 years ago

I have three large female mutts (big, bigger and biggest).

They all get along very well. They play, cuddle, etc. together constantly. That said, I did put a lot of energy into making sure that the match would work. I read/heard that an all female household could cause problems.

Having three large dogs only works for me because I am home so much. I don't think I would recommend having three dogs, let alone all females, if I didn't have my situation. It is a HUGE commitment. (Long story how I got into this).

Good luck!

SG

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

As Mazer said, it all depends on the personalities of the dogs involved. I had three females for many years. The first, Sarah, was a very submissive adult when I adopted her. Then I adopted a very young female puppy, Moonie, who Sarah treated very kindly and motherly. Moonie matured into an EXTREMELY alpha female and spent the rest of their lives together bullying and intimidating Sarah. I also adopted another adult female, Bootsers, who was a very middle-of-the-road type, happy go lucky, neither submissive nor dominant. Although Moonie also bossed Bootsers, Boots took it all in stride and learned how to appease the Moondog by cleaning her ears.

Sarah passed, after which I adopted Tasha, a very young and EXTREMELY dominant puppy. Tasha tried to get Moonie to be her mother, but Moonie was completely intolerant of her puppy enthusiasm and kept putting her firmly in her place. Bootsers took Tasha under her wing and served as a fine surrogate mother during Tasha's puppyhood, though Moonie was always the disciplinarian.

Knowing how dominant Tasha's personality was, I was very nervous about how she and Moonie would interact as Tasha matured, esp. since Moonie was extremely old and had virtually no mobility without assistance. To my amazement, even as Tasha bossed every other living creature on this farm, she NEVER for a single moment questioned Moonie's authority or alpha dog status. When Moonie would bark or snap at her from her bed, Tasha would flop over on her back and beg forgiveness. It truly was remarkable.

All of my old girls are gone now, and Tasha is my only female. There is no conceivable way Tasha would ever tolerate another alpha dog in her territory now, and I would never subject a submissive female to her relentless bullying. She might be able to coexist with a happy go lucky female like Bootsers, but I wouldn't risk it. She has her two tolerant doggie brothers to keep in line, and that's enough.

Laurie

• dobesrule
    17 years ago

The worst fights I've ever had have been between females. They don't call them _ itches for nothing. That said it can work out wonderfully, my last two dogs were both females, Dobe and Chow, and now since the Dobe died it is the Chow and a German Shepherd puppy, also female. Some of it depends on how dominant the girls are and some on how well they know that such foolishness will not be tolerated. With two really hard nosed girls tho they may just end up hating each other. If the schnauzer is coming from a good breeder then I would let her know all about the Lab's personality then let her pick the pup that would most compliment it. A really good breeder is going to know those pups dispositions a lot better than most people can figure out from just observing them for a few minutes.

Lisa

Lisa

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I don't know the temperament of the new puppy's breed, but I can tell you that the lab at her age will adjust fine.

My old gal didn't adjust so well when my middle child came into the picture (old gal was 7 or 8 at that time). Make sure that you correct the puppy not the older dog when there is a scuffle. I initially made the mistake of correcting old gal when she would snarl at my new puppy. After having the trainer come (24 hrs. after puppy arrived I thought old gal was going to literally kill him), I learned that I was doing it all wrong. I should not have been correcting my old gal, but rather the puppy:)

Congrats on your rescue and your new puppy should you decide to go forward with same.

• Meghane
    17 years ago

I have found that there is no truth to the rumor that dogs should be opposite sex to get along well. I have 3 females and 1 male, and no problems. It is entirely up to the individual dogs how they are going to adjust to each other. It can be good or bad, but I don't believe that gender truly enters into the equation.
    Good luck and many years of happiness with your doggies!

• ebrathedebra
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses! It's been a crazy week - sorry for not responding sooner.

After reading everyone's posts, I have a lot more confidence about getting the new puppy. Dobesrule - I especially like your suggestion about asking the breeder to select a puppy with a complementary personality. We will definitely do that. We get to visit the pups at 5 weeks so we will bring Christy (our lab girl) to meet the breeder and the new pup. They'll be an interesting pair for sure. :o)

Any suggestions on how to make the introduction 1st at the breeder and then at home?

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my photobucket account working again!

Thanks!

• klimkm
    17 years ago

We had two females. It was fine, just watch the smaller dog around the larger dog if they start to roughhouse too much so it doesn't get hurt. Also spay both. Also don't be alarmed if they "hump" each other once in a while. (yes females!!) It is a dominance thing not a "sex" thing.

Note: the first dog we had had a dominant personality, thus the dog we added was more "mellow" so we did not have ANY issues when introducing them.

• ebrathedebra
    Original Author
    17 years ago

klimkm- Oh that's so funny...I was just about to respond to groomingal's post about her two shih tzu's when I read your post.

When I was a kid we took in 2 female shih tzu strays. At the time, my family and I thought they were the nuttiest dogs ever. They were very bonded to each other (we assumed they were sisters)but also fought viciously. And, they would hump each other all day long. As an adult, I later learned, like you said, that it was more of a dominance thing than a sex thing which makes sense considering the rest of their behavior. I'm sure this is why I'm thinking twice of having two females dogs!

• klimkm
    17 years ago

We have a friend who recently adopted two shelter dogs, sisters from the same litter and they do it once in a while, too. Mine were also both same breed dogs - dachshunds.