SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysfixin_gw

Feline Upper Respiratory Disease

16 years ago

I adopted a cat a week ago that was a rescue. He was being fostered at a woman's home, so was not at a shelter. The woman told me the cat had previously had upper respiratory sneezing, but had finished meds for it more than two weeks prior, and was fine. However, on my drive home with the cat, he immediately started sneezing. I took him to the vet the next day who confirmed feline upper respiratory disease, although there are many types, and he couldn't say which one. Since the cat is only sneezing, but does not have eye irritation or coughing, or any other issues, and does have a good appetite, the vet didn't think it was the more serious herpes-related ailment. He gave me meds (clavamox) for the cat. So far, the cat's sneezing has not immproved with the meds, although the cat is active, and eats well.

My friend had a cat that had chronic upper respiratory disease its entire life of 15 years. My new cat is 2. Is this sneezing going to be a chronic problem? How can I tell? Does anyone have knowledge/experience with this illness? Thanks.

Comments (5)