SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Cat hurt his leg and now not eating/drinking

Kristen Hallock
11 years ago

My 13 year old cat was 95% healthy on Easter Sunday. He did have a mild upper respiratory infection. But the symptoms for that were mostly sneezing.

On Monday morning he was not up and waiting to greet us in the morning. We found him downstairs in the basement sleeping on the couch. Which is not completely abnormal. But most of the time he is waiting for us when we come downstairs.

Monday night I got home from work and as soon as I got in the door I heard the cat crying and crying. He was in the kitchen and sitting lopsided. I stood him up and it was obvious to me that something was bothering him with one of his hind legs/paws. He was not putting weight on it and would immediately sit down. My husband brought him that night to the emergency vet. The x-rayed him and everyone is confident that he has no broken bones. They said it was a "soft tissue" problem. They put a splint on him (for his comfort only) and sent him home with buprenorphine 2x a day and told us to take him to our normal vet on Friday.

The next day(Tuesday) I called our normal vet and they said to make sure he eats. So that afternoon i fed him with a syringe. I managed to get about 1/2 can of wet food in him (innova Evo). I also noticed that his paw was very swollen. I was told I could remove the splint. I removed it and his leg is still very tender.

Wednesday I decide to bring him to the vet since he will not eat or drink and just lays on a blanket all day long and doesnt move. They were worried about his breathing now because he has green boogers coming out of his nose all the time. They said he wouldnt eat if he cant smell. They gave him subQ fluids and prescribed antibiotics, plus another painkiller since the first one doesnt seem to be alleviating his pain all that much. He still wont eat. I get a few large syringes full of food into his mouth each day. But he hates it. I am not sure if I should continue doing this?

This morning he moved from his blanket to his litter box (right next to each other) and he peed. But then he laid right down in the litter box (not on the pee though!). Still no eating or drinking (unless I make him by syringe feeding him). The vet said there should be some improvement after 48 hours on antibiotics. That would be tomorrow. The joint on the back of his "hock" is tender and swollen according to the vet. They arent sure why. And he is a 100% indoor cat so we arent sure how he injured himself either.

I guess I am looking for some feedback on whether you think there's a chance my cat will start eating again on his own? Should I stop the 1st painkiller to see if it makes a difference with getting my cat to eat or drink on his own? I dont know if this sickness/injury means we should think about putting him down. It just seems so sudden since 4 days ago he was fine. But I dont want him to suffer either if its just going to end with him dying.

Comments (3)