SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Why does she do this?? Walking question

munkos
17 years ago

So we finally got our little girl to walk great, for the most part. She's a little over-active at the beginning of walks, still, but she remembers fairly quickly that she's supposed to walk nice. We played her right out before we took her to the dog park the other day, and she was still rarin to go when we got there, but calmed down quickly.

However, outside on the leash, she walks 10x better for my boyfriend than me. Inside, she listens to pretty much only me. If boyfriend tells her to drop something, or sit, or laydown, she looks to mom and waits for me to tell her, kind of thing. I'm with her all day every day, so I guess it makes sense that I over-rule him in her little mind. She doesn't completely ignore him, if he gives her a command, she just takes her sweet time obeying, I think maybe waiting for me to tell her she doesn't have to.

Anyways, what can I do to make her walk nicely for me, too?? And why does she only walk nice for him, if she listens to me before him at home?? I do the same things he does when we walk her if she gets out of line, and it doesn't work. If she starts to yank and pull too much and I get frustrated, I'll hand him the leash before I get the chance to get too frustrated, and BINGO she walks perfect all of a sudden. I walk her more often, I initially was the one to teach her to walk nice on the leash, and she did good with me until recently.

She does still occasionally yank with him, but all it takes is one correction. A quick yank on the leash and her name, and she's little miss perfect again for him, and for me I have to yank, and then we sit, and then we stay, and then we do it again 5 steps later. Maybe he has more of a physical presence over her because he's bigger and stronger than me, and his corrections send the message a little clearer??

I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that I walk her much more than he does.

Comments (9)