SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantsandyarn

I think I may need to put my dog down

PlantsAndYarn
11 years ago

We have a Shar-pei who is 11 1/2 years old. He has arthritis and for the last 2 years, yeast infection on his skin. The yeast infection has been under control with shampoos. He hasn't taken anything for the arthritis but has been getting around fine.

For the past 2 months or so, he has had a problem with peeing in the house. He was never one to bark when he wants out. He would just come over to you & stare at you. Since these "accidents" would mostly happen at night, when we were all asleep, I figured he just got tired of staring at us while we were asleep & did his business. In the past month he did have a couple of instances where he started dripping before getting to the door.

Yesterday, while lying in the sun, he just peed all over himself & wasn't even aware of it. The couple times he went out, he barely peed & I never saw him poop. He usually gets a drink after going out, or eats some food but didn't do that yesterday. I did give him some bread (which he loves) soaked in water last night. This morning when I went to let him out, he made it to the kitchen but just stopped. He was breathing very heavily & just laid down, refusing to even try to go out. I boiled some burger & rice for him. This dog loves rice, but he refused to even try it. Wouldn't even eat a piece of the meat when I tried to hand feed him. He did get up & go from the kitchen into his "house" (crate). An hour later, I noticed he had peed on himself again. Not much but it was obvious on his blanket.

I was able to get 1 cup of water into him, 1 syringe at a time. He seemed to like the water. He eagerly took it but he wouldn't pick up his head, just laid it to the side & let me drip/gently squirt it into his mouth.

At this time I cannot take him to the vet. I thought of giving him the last 2 pills from a zip pack (250 mg Azithromycin), in case he has a UTI. Would those hurt him? But when he had a double ear infection 5 years ago, he obviously had a fever, I could get him to eat soft stuff, go outside and drink a little. So I am not so sure about a possible infection.

Sadly, I think this is probably the end of his life.

Comments (21)