SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sween_gw

The Maine Clam?

sween
15 years ago

Love this forum but will confess to not popping in for some time. It is, though, reasons such as this when I am sooooo glad it is here!

Although not the biggest clam fan on the planet, a bowl of steamed clams is satisfying from time to time.

Not an inexpensive food, most of the more desirable clam types, Littlenecks and Cherrystones, are pretty pricey. Usually sitting near, or alongside, of the high-end bivalves are what are called Maine Clams. Maine Clams are, frankly, unattractive in their shelled state; dark, almost dirty looking. If at first you eat with the eye, Maine Clams having nothing to worry about, IMO. The big plus is that they sell for roughly half of other varieties.

I "hear," however, that they're quite good. Anyone here know a) What exactly they are, b) How they taste, c) Can they be steamed like other clams?

Sorry to be a bother, but I did poke around the net and couldn't find much about Maine Clams. Are they an oddity here in the mid-Atlantic region? Any help, of course, greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio