SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Rolls for Thanksgiving

Teresa_MN
13 years ago

I will not be handling the cooking for Thanksgiving - for the first time in years! I cannot ask for time off from my new temp job so everyone else is going to pitch in. I have been asked to bring the rolls.

First of all let me say I am not a baker. I used to bake all types of breads and rolls when I was in high school - and it ended there. I am looking for a recipe for a yeast roll or maybe a Butterflake roll. Something that even I can't ruin! :-) My mother has a bread machine to do the kneading and said I could have it for the next week so I can practice making the rolls.

Annie - you made a bunch of rolls for the wedding. An if I remember correctly you froze them. Would you share your recipe please? Also does anyone have a recipe they would share?

Thanks in advance!

Teresa

Comments (37)

• becky_ca
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've been making these rolls for about 10 years now - my family loves them.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cindy's Dinner Rolls - ABM

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1/4 cup shortening or butter -- melted
    1 egg
    2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons butter -- melted

Put all ingredients except 2 tablespoons butter into bread machine and set for dough cycle. Check dough after a few minutes; you may need to add a little more liquid (milk or water) to make a smooth (slightly sticky) dough.
    When finished with dough cycle, punch dough down and let stand 10 minutes. Lightly grease 9x13 glass baking pan. Pull off 12-18 "plops" or balls of dough, and place in pan. The dough is sticky, so don't try to roll smooth balls. The rolls will smooth out when they rise and bake. Let rise in warm place, about 30-40 minutes or until doubled in size.
    Drizzle melted butter over top of rolls. You may use more butter if you like (up to 4 tablespoons). Bake in 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden.

Source:
    "Fannie Flagg, Nancy & Cindy"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Teresa, my favorite is San's Honey Rolls, and here's the recipe. Even if it doesn't say it needs to be kneaded, I put it all in the bread machine. Liquids first, then solids, yeast on top.

Sol's Honey Rolls

1 Cup milk
    1/2 Cup honey
    1/2 Cup butter [1 stick]
    2 Tsp salt
    1 -2 tablespoons granulated sugar*
    2 pkges. dry yeast
    1/2 Cup warm water [110º-115ºF]
    2 large eggs lightly beaten
    6- 6 1/2 cups All Purpose flour

Heat the milk, add butter and salt. Set aside while butter melts. Stir in the honey.

In another bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let it sit until yeast is completely dissolved, about 6-7 minutes.

Combine milk mixture with yeast mixture. And stir in the beaten eggs.

Beat in 4 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat both sides. Cover and allow dough to rise 1 hour. Punch dough down, and allow to rise another hour.

Punch down again, and shape dough into rolls. Let it rise again 45 minutes to an hour or until doubled in volume. Preheat your oven to 375F and bake rolls for 25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. For a very soft crust, brush rolls with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.

Note: You could omit the sugar from this recipe altogether. I sometimes use about a teaspoon of the honey called for in the recipe to feed the yeast instead of the sugar.

As an alternative, I like these and I do them in the bread machine too:

Butternut Squash Rolls

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
    1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
    1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
    3 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
    5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk and water. Add the butter, salt, sugar, squash and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Form into rolls; place in two greased 10-in.cast-iron skillets or 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 2 dozen.

If you'd rather have whole wheat rolls, I like this recipe with lots of honey:

-HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

· 3-1/2 to 4 cups all purpose flour
    · 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    · 2 pkg. active dry yeast
    · 2 tsp. salt
    · 1 cup milk
    · 1 cup water
    · 1/2 cup honey
    · 3 Tbsp. oil
    · 1 egg
    In large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, the yeast, and salt and mix well.
    In saucepan, heat milk, water, honey, and oil until a thermometer reads 120-130 degrees F (warm)
    Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Beat this batter for 3 minutes. Then, gradually stir in rest of whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose four to form a firm dough.

Sprinkle work surface with flour and knead dough, adding more flour if necessary, for 5-8 minutes until smooth and satiny. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning the dough in the bowl to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, until double in bulk.
    Punch down dough and divide into 2 pieces. On lightly floured surface, roll or press each piece of dough to a 14x7" rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal and place dough, seam-side down, into greased 9x5" bread pans, making sure short ends of bread are snugly fitted against the sides of the pans. Cover and let rise in warm place until the dough fills the corners of the pans and is double in bulk, 30-40 minutes.
    Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. I like to brush the bread with butter when it's still hot from the oven for a softer crust.

Annie

• Related Discussions

I want to make good rolls for Thanksgiving, but.......

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm so sorry!! Nothing like computer issues...anyway, here is the refrigerator roll recipe that I've used for years...the dough keeps pretty well for at least 3 days...it rarely lasts longer than that around here! Refrigerator Rolls In a saucepan, boil 1 cup water, remove from stove and add 1 stick REAL butter (please don't sub) and let it melt. Add: 1/2 cup canola oil 2 eggs 3/4 cup sugar 2 t. salt Let it sit and cool off for a few minutes. In a large bowl, dissolve 2 packages dry yeast in 1 cup warm water...I add a teaspoon or so of sugar to feed the yeast so it will proof a little faster. Add the contents of the saucepan into the yeast mixture and add two cups of bread flour (I use King Arthur's Bread Flour, but have had success with all purpose unbleached). Mix with a hand mixer really well, and add another cup or so of the flour (you will need approximately 6 or so cups in all). At this point, you will need to mix the rest in by hand (will not take long at all) and you only have to knead it until it's smooth and not seriously sticky, but still soft...this is not one of those "knead for half a day" recipes! The dough needs to be soft but not sticky...sorry for the lack of a better explanation! At this point, I put the dough in a large (2 gallon) zip-lock bag and put it in the refrigerator. It will rise nicely and when you are ready, take out what you need and shape into rolls....I do the jelly-roll style in the muffin tins, adding poppy seeds or cheese or whatever you like...even just melted butter..let them rise and they puff up in the middle. Of course you can do Parkerhouse style, bowknots, or any shape you like. Makes 3 or 4 dozen at least, depending on size. Let rise in a warm place, covered with at tea towel and bake at 375 until golden.....accept compliments graciously!
    ...See More

How do you freeze uncooked rolls?

Q

Comments (6)
    I agree with Linda C - bake the rolls and then reheat them before serving. The horror stories I could tell.... You can also find recipes for par-baked (partially baked) rolls (similar to brown and serve rolls) you can make at home. Here's a recipe from the Kansas Wheat Commission - 2000 booklet - a special recipe developed by Cindy and Christy in the KWC test kitchen. Even if you use your own recipe, you can follow the freezer/thawing/baking instructions. -Grainlady FREEZER ROLLS 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 c. bread flour, divided* 1/2 c. granulated sugar 1/4 c. nonfat dry milk powder 1-3/4 c. cold water 1/2 c. shortening 2 large eggs, beaten 1 t. grated lemon peel 1 t. lemon juice 2 T. active dry yeast 2 t. salt *Variation: Substitute 2-1/2 c. whole wheat flour in the first step. In large mixing bowl, combine 2-1/2 c. flour, sugar and nonfat dry milk. Add cold water, shortening, eggs, lemon peel and lemon juice. Beat 3 minutes. Stir in undissolved yeast and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes. Add salt and 1 cup flour; mix 2 minutes. Add enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead 15 minutes by hand or with dough hook. Divide and shape into 24 rolls. Place on greased sheet. Cover with plastic bag or wrap; seal well. Freeze until solid. Remove rolls from sheet; transfer to sealable bag. Use within 2 weeks. When needed, remove rolls from freezer and place on greased baking sheet; cover with plastic bag or wrap. Place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Place shallow pan of boiling water on bottom oven rack. Place covered rolls on top oven rack. DO NOT turn oven on. Let rolls rise until double, about 1-1/2 hours. Change boiling water half way through rising. Remove rolls from oven. Preheat oven to 400°F. Uncover rolls; bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from sheets; cool on racks.
    ...See More

I tweaked the Spoon Rolls recipe...

Q

Comments (8)
    Marie ~ I've not heard anything about the quilt show, yet, but then, I've not been to either quilt shop (East Grand Forks or Mayville) in months. I'll check it out. I do plan to come, and if I'm there I really would love to have coffee with you! Yes; I keep my batter/dough in a huge plastic mixing bowl. Margie has hers in gallon-size beverage pitcher. Sweet Betsy ~ I used a spoon, a small knife or spatula would have been better. I pressed the spoon down the side of the muffin cup and then into the roll slightly. It then popped out. They were not burnt, but they just didn't seem to want to slide out. I rubbed the muffin tin with vegetable oil and even dusted it with flour. I wondered if it was because I used the butter instead of shortening, or if I should shorten the cooking time by a couple of minutes. I'm glad your guests liked them. Arkansas Gal ~ The recipe yields a dough that is not stiff, but is too stiff to be called a batter. You can't really roll it out, and it's too thick to be poured. I use two soup spoons and "glop" it into the muffin cups. I fill them between 1/2 and 2/3 full. I don't try to level the batter; I cook them however they happen to fall. I'm originally a born-and-raised-Arkansas girl myself. I was born in Mountain Home at Dr. Saltzman's clini; lived my first 19 years in Salesville, about two miles from the Norfork Dam; and attended the Norfork Schools for all 12 years.
    ...See More

I have a jar of mincemeat . . . suggestions?

Q

Comments (11)
    here is a recipe I have made for squares: Mincemeat Nut Squares - makes about 3 dozen BASE: 2 c. all-purpose flour 1/2 c. sugar 1 c. butter TOPPING: 1 1/2 c. mincemeat 1 1/4 c. brown sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp. cinnamon 1/3 c. all-purpose flour 3/4 c. sliced almonds 3/4 c. chopped walnuts (I use pecans because I don't like walnuts) 3/4 c. coconut For the base, combine flour, sugar and butter in a mixing bowl and work as if for pastry. If you have a food processor combine with repeated short bursts until a dough is formed. Gather dough into a ball then press into the base of a 10" x 15" cookie sheet, using floured knuckles. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 -15 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; REDUCE OVEN TEMP TO 325 degrees. When the base has cooled slight, spread with the mincemeat. Combine the brown sugar and eggs in food processor and run for one minutes until the mixture is fluffy -- use an electric mixer if you do not have food processor. Add cinnamon, flour and baking powder, process just to combine, then add nuts and coconut. Top the mincemeat withspoonsful of this mixture until the base is evenly covered. Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes until the tipping is set to the touch. Cool 15 minutes , then cut into squares. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. These can be frozen or stored in a tin for up to two weeks.
    ...See More
  • Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie - did you make all of the varieties for the wedding? Or just the honey ones.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Teresa, I made white and I made wheat. 25 dozen total. They all freeze well, though.

Annie

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - 25 dozen........ just an afternoon's work for "Woman with 100 Irons in the Fire." :-)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Here is a real easy recipe that I have been making since the '70's. If you make it a day ahead; no kneading is required and it makes a bunch!

Overnight Refrigerator Rolls (from noon cooking show)

2 pkgs yeast
    2-1/2 cups warm water (105-115°)
    3/4 cup soft shortening ( I use butter)
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs beaten
    8-8-1/2 cups flour (I often use bread flour)
    2-1/2 teaspoons salt (can cut back some if you use butter)

Add yeast to water;mix; add rest of ingredients (down to flour) and 4 cups flour. Beat one minute with mixer or spoon until smooth. Add rest of flour. Mix flour into batter (you can even use your hands, just get it all incorporated.) cover large bowl with greased wax paper and then seal it well with plastic wrap. (I have a 32 cup Rubbermaid bowl with a snap lid that I use).
    You can keep it up to 5 days in the fridge.

Next day let it warm up some. Then pinch off the dough to make rolls. Place them in a buttered pan and let raise until doubled as usual and bake.

This can be used for sweet rolls or doughnuts.

Bake rolls at 400° for about 20 minutes until nicely browned.

• amck2
    13 years ago

I've been practicing making rolls from recipes here so that we can serve homemade ones this Thanksgiving.

Can someone tell me if it's okay to put my ingredients through the "dough" process in my breadmaker and then put the dough in the fridge for a couple hours before taking it out to rise & bake off?

gldn01's recipe above seems made for that. But can you do it with other recipes, like Sol's Honey Rolls?

I can get up & get the dough going in the morning, but I'm not around through early afternoons and want the rolls to be fresh out of the oven at dinnertime.

Any hints/tips on timing will help, especially for Thanksgiving!

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

amck -

I make home-baked dinner rolls all the time and could make them in my sleep, if necessary, but my personal preference is to make dinner rolls ahead of time and wrap them in heavy-duty foil (I often freeze them) and reheat them for large dinners like Thanksgiving or Christmas. It's just one more thing I don't need to worry about on an already busy day, and there's not much difference in the taste or texture of the rolls. They can be reheated at almost any moderate temperature if you have something else in the oven at the time.

Here are a couple personal experiences why I pre-make rolls...

One year we were invited to hubby's sisters home for Christmas at noon, and another sisters (same family) that evening, and they lived about an hour apart and 3-1/2 hours from us. After a 3-1/2 hour drive, we arrived at 11:30 and the first sister hadn't started her dinner rolls yet and INSISTED on having fresh-baked dinner rolls and the whole meal was delayed. While I got busy making the rolls for her, she did other things.

We had to leave before the meal was ready to eat in order to make it to the other sisters home. We stopped at a convenience store for something to eat.

The rest of the sorry story is when we got to the other sisters home she was coming down with "something", so we dropped off their gifts and headed the 3-1/2 hours back home even though we were supposed to stay the night, and another stop at a convenience store for Christmas Dinner!

Another Christmas another SIL (same family as above) put commercial frozen dough balls to rise for dinner rolls before going to Midnight Mass. The next MORNING she baked the completely over-proofed rolls. When hubby and I delivered fresh homemade English Muffins we made that morning to their home for their Christmas breakfast, along with homemade jam and other goodies, she showed me the sorry rolls and asked what was wrong with them.

Hubby took one look at them and laughed (men can get away with that with their sisters). He told her they were over-proofed and would taste horrible, which they did, she said. We went back home and I made dinner rolls for her before we had to go to our friends for lunch.

So save yourself by making them ahead of time, or have some Poppin' Fresh Crescent Rolls as an emergency back-up should something go wrong....

-Grainlady

• amck2
    13 years ago

Grainlady - Your cautionary tale makes a good argument for baking the rolls ahead for Thanksgiving.

But (for regular dinner days) I am still curious to know if I can take the dough from my bread machine at, say 11am, put it in the fridge till 4:30pm(ish) then take it out to let it rise to bake off for dinner around 6:00pm.

I know that's the concept behind the 5 min. Artisan Bread that you keep in a holding bin in the fridge. I'm wondering if it can work for other bread doughs.

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

amck -

Because dough doesn't rise to a clock, rather according to the ambient temperature, moisture and the strength of the yeast, you could find the whole process a bit tricky when it comes to exact timing. However, some options you may want to try:

1. Refrigerating Dough -
    Most bread machine recipes will work, or use a refrigerator-specific dough like Betty Crocker's Potato Refrigerator Dough, which is similar to the recipe gldno1 posted above, but both have more flour in them than what you should use in most bread machines. Or try the "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" recipes (check your local library for the book). These recipes are designed to keep VERY well in the refrigerator.

A. Use the DOUGH cycle on your machine. After the dough has completed the kneading, stop your machine (hold the Stop/Clear button down to clear the program - never just unplug the bread machine in order to stop the cycle -- this will keep your computer chip in good working order). You do NOT want the machine to complete the cycle (the rise), just finish the kneading.

Remove the dough and place it in a container that has enough space for the dough to expand and can also be tightly covered. I'd suggest a really large zip-lock bag (press out as much air as possible), or dough rising bucket (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/dough-rising-bucket), instead of a bowl (spray the inside of the bag with Pam if you'd like to help keep it from sticking).

Oil your hands to handle the dough and pat it into a "disk" about 1-inch thick. In the disk shape the dough chills at an even rate. A ball of dough takes longer to chill completely to the inside. It's VERY important for the dough to be tightly covered so it doesn't dry out during retarding (refrigerating).

The dough will continue to rise even in the refrigerator. Check it after an hour or so. You'll have to punch it down to remove all the gas bubbles. Punch it down again a couple hours later. Once the dough is completely cooled, it only needs to be punched down every 24-hours.

You can keep most enriched dough recipes in the refrigerator for 3-days. They keep best if they have mashed potato in the recipe. According to Lloyd M. Moxon (a microbiologist who specializes in yeast biochemistry and author of "The Baking Book"), mashed potatoes - or any pureed vegetable - is vital for refrigerator doughs because it preserves moisture in the dry climate of a refrigerator.

If you don't punch down the dough in the first few hours it may develop a sour taste and unpleasant odor.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and shape it when it's cold, right out of the refrigerator.

REMEMBER, it takes longer for cold dough to rise, so don't time the rise, check it for "double".

B. You can also refrigerate dough after it's been shaped.

To use the shape-then-refrigerate method, remove the dough from the bread machine and shape it into whatever you're planning to make. Place the bread in or on the appropriate baking pan. Coat some plastic wrap with cooking spray and use it to cover the unbaked item. Place the dough in the freezer for approximately 10-15 minutes, for a QUICK chill. This hinders the yeast development so that you don't need to punch the dough down. Then move the dough to the refrigerator. You can keep the shaped dough refrigerated for up to 24 hours. To bake the dough, remove it from the refrigerator and loosen the plastic wrap, but keep it on loosely while it rises. Allow to double in bulk then bake as usual.

2. Par-Bake (homemade brown-and-serve rolls)- You can also partially bake your dinner rolls and freeze them. Remove them from the freezer and finish baking them. If you need more information, I'll have to do more research through my books. I think I have some specific recipes for these someplace.....

-Grainlady

• amck2
    13 years ago

Grainlady, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I'm a relative novice bread baker. More often than not I do a version of the NY Times No Knead Bread. I was leaving my comfort zone with my quest to make homemade rolls for Thanksgiving. You've offered useful information in a way that I can understand.

I'm hoping this helps others who are trying rolls for Thanksgiving - Didn't intend to hijack the thread.

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

amck - I do not mind you hijacking the thread. It's still on topic. I'm a bit of a novice myself when it comes to bread making. I have enjoyed the discussion and bits of info from Grainlady!

Teresa

• cynic
    13 years ago

Grainlady is such a wealth of information on so many topics... I really enjoy her contributions and her style.

• amck2
    13 years ago

Here's another dinner roll question -

I tried a recipe yesterday that instructed to stretch the dough into a rope, cut into 12 pieces, roll them into a ball and place in a muffin tin to rise (last rise)& bake.

They came out well, but I preferred the outside texture of ones I baked earlier in the week (from another recipe) that were formed into balls and baked on a straight baking sheet.

Do you think most dinner roll recipes can be baked (& turn out well) on a baking sheet, instead of in a muffin pan?

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

amck, I think most rolls will turn out well on a baking sheet, especially if you want all all-around crust. The muffin pan is nice if you want them to be that shape. I have a cast iron muffin pan that I use a lot which I like very much, but I don't think it really matters.

Grainlady, I would love more detailed information on home-made Brown and Serve rolls, and what to do to accomplish this. I've had too many dinners delayed waiting on the rolls, and would love to try to end that cycle once and for all!

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

claire_de_luna -

Brown-and-Serve Dinner Rolls

Make rolls per usual. Bake at 375-degree F for 10-12 minutes, the rolls will be "done" (set), but NOT brown. Allow to cool completely. Place on a baking sheet and quick-freeze for about 2-hours. Place frozen rolls in a plastic container in a single layer. Use within 4-weeks.

To bake: Place on a baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated 375-degree F oven for 20-minutes, or until golden brown.
    ------------------------------------------------------

The link below is for Brown-and-Serve Rolls via a bread machine I found doing a search. The rolls are baked for 5-minutes at 400-degrees F and reheated in a 400-degrees F for 6-7 minutes.

Either method should work equally well.

ENJOY!

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown-and-Serve Rolls - ABM

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Thank You Grainlady! I'm definitely going to try this method, and will let you know how it turned out.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

CdL, There you go again--asking questions for me, thanks!

And thanks for the tip Grainlady!

• beth4
    13 years ago

I confess that yeast breads are a bit of a challenge for me.....so, for Thanksgiving I make and bring pumpkin & raisin muffins...they're slightly sweet because you sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar over the top before you bake the muffins, and they're full of pumpkin spices. They're delicious either hot out of the oven, or served at room temp if you have to use your oven for other last minute cooking. And they're quite moist. They can be happily consumed with, or without, butter.

If anyone would like the recipe, I'll be glad to dig it out and type it up. The recipe book is on a different floor from the computer, so I can't do that right now. I'll be digging it out the next few days anyway because I'm bringing them to Thanksgiving dinner. Just let me know.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

I don't make rolls very often, usually preferring to make my bread in loaves, or make biscuits or corn bread. But, when I do want rolls for some reason, I often make Challah rolls, just using any Challah recipe and forming the dough into rolls (reducing baking time, of course.)

Another recipe I do have on hand, and enjoy very much is originally from, "The Fannie Farmer Baking Book," but which I have altered...sigh, as usual...never met a recipe I didn't want to mess with...These rolls are tender, light, and have a very light sweetness that makes them very agreeable with any meal, complimenting but not competing with the other dishes. Another plus is that there is no kneading!

Original recipe:

Sweet Potato Rolls

1 1/2 c warm water
    1 pkg dry yeast
    2 T instant nonfat dry milk
    2 T sugar
    1 1/2 t salt
    1 egg
    1/2 c mashed, cooked, sweet potato
    5 T vegetable shortening
    3 c all-purpose flour

Stir the water and yeast together in a large mixing bowl and let dissolve for a couple of minutes. Add the dry milk, sugar, salt, and egg, and beat well. Add the sweet potato, shortening, and 1/1/2 c of the flour and beat vigorously until well mixed. Stir in the remaining flour and beat until the dough collects around the spoon and comes away from the sides of the bowl. Cover and let the dough rise until double in bulk.

Grease some baking sheets. Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide it into four equal parts, then cut each part into six equal pieces. In your slightly cupped, floured hands, shape each piece of dough into a smooth, plump ball by rolling it between your palms and gently easing the edges under. Place about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet, cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the sheet and cool on racks.

MY notes:

I prefer using yam to sweet potato. Not only is the flavor richer, but the light touch of orange it gives the rolls is appealing. I roast the yam, which gives it a more intense flavor than boiling. I use buttermilk powder instead of nonfat dry milk powder, for a bit of a tang. Though the recipe calls for only 3 cups of flour, I have always had to use more as the dough has always turned out to be seriously sticky rather than "soft"...this may be caused by the substitution of yam for sweet potato, sweet potatoes being a bit drier than yams. What you want is quite a soft dough, but one that does gather round the spoon and pull away from the bowl. If needed, add another half a cup or more of flour, a little at a time until you get the dough to behave like dough instead of cake batter.

When forming the rolls, rather than rolling the piece of dough around in my hand, I find that I get a nicer, more uniform surface by finding the uncut side of the dough lump and sort of easing it through a ring made with my thumb and forefinger, stretching the "skin" of the dough gently to cover the cut sides and pinch-twisting it together at what will be the bottom of the roll. If you need to, dust your hands with flour periodically. Dusting the plastic wrap with flour before covering the rolls helps preserve the attractive, smooth shape.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Beth, I would love your recipe as I am a fiend for muffins. I'm sure my husband would appreciate it too. ;)

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

All I can say is that having had Annies white and wheat rolls at her dughters wedding is that they were fantastic. If I baked, I would make those again.

(Don't tell Annie, but I flitch a couple to take back to the hotel. Amazing what falls in our oversized purses)

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So good they were worth stealing?

I have much practice work to do this weekend. Someone else sent me a recipe for butterflake rolls that sound delish.

This having a full time job again is really cutting into my fun time:-(

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Yeah...it's that old dilemma, Teresa... either have the time for fun or the money for fun, why can't we have both???? :D

• annie1992
    13 years ago

LOL, Peppi, you know I've given you permission to take any darned thing I own, even dinner rolls. I thought you might have appropriated one for Dylan, then I remembered he wasn't supposed to have wheat.

BTW, Elery says your Dad is a delight, and you can both stay at his place any time you come to Michigan!

Annie

• beth4
    13 years ago

Here's my recipe for Stouffer's Pumpkin Muffins, which decades ago were favorites from the Stouffer Restaurant chain (which I don't think exists any more). This recipe is from the American Family Cookbook, published in the early 1970s.

Stouffer's Pumpkin Muffins - 1 doz muffins

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup raisins (I always use the dark raisins)
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    1 Tbs. sugar

Sift the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking ppowder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Cut in butter until particles are the size of rice kernels. Mix in raisins and set aside.

Blend egg, milk, and pumpkin. Add to dry ingredients and lightly stir until dry ingredients are barely moistened (batter will be lumpy).

Spoon into greased muffin pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp sugar over each.

Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

Has anyone ever made pretzel rolls? We have them at a club we belong to and they are the most asked for roll in the bread basket!

Epicurious has a recipe, but I wonder if I could just take Alton Browns pretzel recipe and make rolls instead of pretzels with it???

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Stir fryi, my favorite dive bar, Schuberg's, has a layered beef sandwich on a pretzel roll, it's very good.

The roll tastes kind of like a pretzel, but it's soft. I may have to experiment after the holidays.

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Stir fryi, I have made pretzel rolls with Alton's recipe and they turned out very well. My rolls turned out soft and made delicious sandwich buns.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

These are my favorite! Posted by margiene about 2 1/2 years ago. Makes a bunch and they're just as good with half whole wheat flour.

Deanna

The Spicery Rolls Sweet, yeasty flavor 1 1/2 cups boiling water 1/2 cup margarine (I use butter) 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1 cup sugar 1 1/2 cups water (hot but not boiling) 6 ounces evaporated milk 1/4 cup yeast (yes, that is correct...I use Instant yeast) 9 1/8 cups flour In a large bowl, pour boiling water over butter. Add salt and sugar and stir well. When butter is melted, mix in additional water. Stir in evaporated milk. Slowly add flour and yeast. Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 10 minutes. Next grease a large bowl thoroughly, put the dough in it and turn it over so the surface will be greased. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, punching down twice, about an hour. Form into dinner\-size rolls. Let rise until doubled. Bake 20\-25 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 36 large rolls. \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* These are very good too and really do rise fast! I forgot to note where this one came from, so if it's yours, please step up and take credit! I'd love to update my file! Sixty Minute Rolls This is an old tried\-and\-true recipe. You can have these rolls done in one hour flat, and they have a delicious flavor all their own. Measurements need to be exact. Notice there's no salt in this recipe to "check" the yeast. 1 cup milk 1/2 cup water 2 packages active dry yeast 1/4 cup butter or margarine 3 tablespoons sugar 3 1/2 cups all\-purpose flour Combine milk, water and butter, and bring to baby\-bottle warm. To start the yeast fast, dissolve the sugar and the yeast in the milk mixture. Add the flour a little at a time until you get your desired consistency. Knead, place in oiled covered container, and let rise in a warm place 15 minutes. Punch down, and shape into about 24 small rolls in a shallow greased baking pan. Sides should just touch\-\-don't pack. You have to work quickly, because this dough rises fast! Let the shaped rolls rise 15 minutes. Bake in a preheated 450° oven 12 minutes, or until nicely browned.
  • monaw
    13 years ago

I make about 75 Amish Dinner Rolls every year to take to a huge Thanksgiving dinner. Photos can been seen and a repeat of this recipe here: http://community.livejournal.com/bakebakebake/1573919.html

I use 2tsps. of regular table salt in this recipe instead of the 1-1/2 tsp. that recipe calls for. I'm thinking this recipe uses salted butter, and if that's the case don't add more. I use unsalted. I've tried it both ways and 1/2 more salt is better. (rule of thumb is 1/2 tsp. per cup of flour for bread)
    I start out in the Kitchenaid and finish on counter...it get's too sticky in Kitchenaid and easier to finish by hand adding more flour It will still be sticky dough though.
    I make double batches.
    I weigh the dough and divide by 15 then weigh each roll. (They touch and pull apart when done)
    I let the dough rise for about an hour, covered with buttered or Pam sprayed Saran wrap and refrigerate overnight to rise the rest of the way. (butter the bowl first, flip the dough butter side up, etc. to keep from drying)
    After about 4 hours in fridge or when the dough has finished doubling, I gently secure the wrap to sit on the dough to prevent drying out.

Note: If I were using a bread machine I would remove the dough as soon as it's done kneading and place in buttered bowl to rise ( for an hour if going into fridge to rise the rest of the way)

Refrigerating the dough adds flavor and also makes them easier to shape because they are sticky.
    Next day I shape them. Dip your hand in flour and shake off excess to form rolls.
    Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, and let them freeze solid, (covered with sprayed Saran Wrap), then put them in a gallon freezer bag.
    Thanksgiving day I take them out of the freezer about 5 or 6 hours before dinner. Depending on room temp, they will take 4 to 5 hours to thaw and do a second rise. Place frozen rolls in appropriate pan, brush with melted butter, cover with Saran wrap to rise. (No need to spray the wrap with buttered rolls)
    Make sure and remove them from pan after baking or they will get soggy on bottom. I try to take the whole connected batch out and let them cool whole on a rack. They won't dry out that way....

I'm always stuck bringing the rolls now. They inhale them!

Oh, I cook the potatoes in the microwave covered with a cup of water, then I use the potato water for the recipe. I run them through a ricer. I just use Idaho.
    I use a 9 by 13 inch baking pan (buttered) because I like the sides to stick together and not form a crust.

They are like Grandma used to make looking just like the photo on the link above.
    I hope someone enjoys! :)
    Here's the recipe:

Theme Post: Amish Dinner Rolls
    These dinner rolls literally melt in your mouth. The secret is the mashed potatoes, which add starch, but don't make them the least bit dry.

2 eggs
    1/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    6 tablespoons (3 ounces) butter
    1 cup (7 1/4 ounces) unseasoned mashed potatoes, lightly packed*
    2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
    3/4 cup water (potato water, if possible)
    4 1/4 cups (18 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

*1 medium-to-large baking potato will yield 8 ounces of mashed potato.

Manual/Mixer Method: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients, and mix until the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased or floured surface, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it's smooth and shiny. Or knead it in a mixer, using the dough hook. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or rising bucket, turn to coat, cover the container with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise till it's doubled in bulk, about 90 minutes.

Bread Machine Method: Place all the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer (usually, liquids first, yeast last). Program the machine for dough or manual, and press Start. Check the dough about 10 minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle and adjust its consistency as necessary by adding additional water or flour to form a soft, smooth ball. Allow the machine to complete its cycle, then allow the dough to remain in the machine till it's doubled in bulk, perhaps an additional 30 minutes or so.

Shaping: To make stand-alone rolls, divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. If you want to make soft-sided, pull-apart rolls, divide the dough into 15 pieces. This isn't as challenging as it sounds: first, divide the dough into three equal pieces (about 375g, 14 ounces, each). Pinch off one piece, about the size of a racquetball or handball (75g, 2 3/4 ounces), off each of the three pieces, setting the pinched-off pieces aside; then simply divide what's left of the three pieces into four pieces each. Presto! Fifteen balls of dough. Gently roll the dough balls under your cupped fingers till they're nice and round.

Place the 16 dough balls onto a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet or sheets, leaving about 2 inches between them. Or place the 15 dough balls into a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan, spacing them evenly in five rolls of three balls each. Cover the pan(s) with a proof cover or lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the rolls to rise for about 2 hours, till they're quite puffy; the rolls in the 9 x 13-inch pan should be touching (or almost touching) one another.

Baking: Bake the rolls in a preheated 350 deg F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, till they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, carefully turn them out of the pan -- the pull-apart rolls will come out all in one piece -- and brush them with melted butter, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.

• bryansda
    13 years ago

I have a question about the Cindy's Dinner Rolls. Do you let the dough do a rise after it's mixed or just get it out of the machine, shape and let rise?

Thanks for the help.

Pam

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Hi Pam. Quite a few roll recipe call for just shaping and rising, then baking. That recipe has enough yeast in it and the directions do say to just take it from the machine, make the balls as best you can with the soft, sticky dough, let rise and bake. Sounds fine to me.

• bryansda
    13 years ago

Thank you coconut. I thought that is what was meant, but with the "punch down the dough" part wanted to make sure.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Darn, I made a double batch of Buttery Dinner Rolls, tested one and it is...tasteless. I selected this recipe because of the long list of ingredients.

I'm thinking of sprinkling a little salt on the dough before forming and baking them.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

Well I made the pretzel rolls that are on epicurious.com. They were a lot of work but a huge hit -- no one wanted the "normal" dinner rolls!

• bryansda
    13 years ago

becky, thank you for posting Cindy's dinner rolls, they were so easy and good. They were such a hit I had to do another batch today to go with the leftovers.

Now I'm looking for a good whole wheat roll recipe. Does anyone have one?

Pam

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!