SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cicadidae

another bunch of dumb puppy questions

cicadidae
15 years ago

Our newfy/gp mix (bear) seemed lonely so I found another pup for a friend for him (jake)(what looks like a gp/golden retriever mix). They love each other. Jake is 4 months old and Bear is 3.5 months old. They love to play! Jake takes toys away from Bear all of the time but brings them back for tug o war games. Bear hollers and growls and barks and yaps and jumps about but never hurts Jake. He just makes a heck of a lot of noise. My room mate worries that Bear should not be barking or growling. She gets upset and tries to hush him ("NO!" or funny dog-whisperer noises). He also puts pretty much of everything into his mouth and she doesn't like that either. When in the crate, Bear howls and whines and makes amazing noises. He is crated because he still has urinary accidents in the house. My co-workers say that Bear was probably taken from his mother too early and should be in my room mate's room with her (he is more bonded to her than me). She is trying this now. I am downstairs and can hear Bear rumbling about up there making unbelieveable sounds and suspicion that this may not last long :) Jake is more easy going and sleeps next to my bed without a grumble.

I walk these guys a lot and even run a bit with them. I know they need exercise and so do I. I know that they need a lot of human contact so I try to take one or the other to work with me (I work with kids) frequently.

Anybody feel like giving me the basic puppy to puppy low down? I have a feeling you all will say that growling and barking and rough housing is normal. I just need to hear it from you I guess because its been a long time since I had a pup.

Thanks!

Karen

Comments (2)