SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Last minute change of plans--20 hours notice!!!

Lars
14 years ago

As I said on the restaurant thread, we were planning to go to the Buggy Whip Restaurant tomorrow and avoid the hassles and clean-up of cooking a large meal for just the two of us. Then, after I got home (We got out at 12:30 today) from work, I had a leisurely lunch outside in the patio (It was a lovely 75 and sunny) and then reluctantly turned on my computer to check email. I wanted to stay outside, and I did take a few photos, but I'm glad I did check my email. My friend Paul had posted an invitation on his facebook page to all his Angelino friends to come to his house tomorrow for dinner! He had posted earlier that he had bought a 17 pound organic turkey, which had made me think that he was planning to feed 30 people, but the invitation was at the last minute, so to speak. Anyway, I haven't seen him in a couple of years, and so it will be great to go to his house. Paul is the writer/director who produced Attention Span, the small independent movie I was in a few years ago. Paul is about 25 years younger than I am, and so there is a generation gap, but we still get along fine. It will be interesting to see what he's been up do and also to see other of his friends that I know.

So the dinner starts at noon tomorrow, and I just found out that it is potluck!! I don't think he expects everyone to bring something, but I had already offered to bring stuffing, since it is very easy to make. He said that sounded good and to bring whatever else I wanted. So I decided that I would make a big batch of double chocolate ice cream with toasted almonds and amaretto, since that is also very easy to make, and it should be hot tomorrow where he is - possibly 85°. He lives in the Hollywood Hills (just west of the Hollywood sign and a bit SE of Universal Studios) - I just got his new address today. I had Google maps plot the route to his house from mine, and what a mistake that was! It gave me three options, first, to take the San Diego Freeway through the dreaded Sepulveda Pass, then the Hollywood Freeway past Universal to his house - 24 miles and 1 hour 50 minutes in traffic (less if no traffic, but when does that happen?) or Santa Monica Freeway to the Pasadena Freeway to the Hollywood Freeway - 26 miles and 1 hour 20 minutes in traffic, or 105 Freeway to the Harbor Freeway to the Hollywood Freeway - 27 miles and 1 hour 28 minutes in traffic. However, if I forced the map to use city streets, I could go up La Brea to Highland to Cahuenga, and it would be 13 miles and 36 minutes! I don't think I'll be taking the freeways, since La Brea is a straight shot.

I called Kevin at work, but by then he was already at the grocery store to pick up some soda. So I gave him a list of things to buy for the party. I had him get celery, eggs, cream, bread, and some turkey necks. I'm going to make turkey stock this evening so that I can make gravy to have with the dressing (as well as use the stock in the dressing), and I guess I'll just be bringing those three dishes - dressing, gravy, and ice cream! I think they will appreciate the gravy, since that is usually a pain to make when the turkey is being cooked. I'll make it tomorrow morning, but I'll make the ice cream tonight. The dressing only takes a few minutes, and so I'll make that tomorrow also. Kevin said the store had unusually long lines, and so I'm glad I didn't have to go.

What would you do if you had less than 20 hours for a potluck?

Lars

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County