SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Human shampoo on a puppy?

cnvh
16 years ago

My parents just adopted a 7-week old puppy two days ago; my dad was wondering what kind of shampoo he should use to bathe her. Since my husband and I were going to the vet tonight anyway (time for the family's annual checkup), I thought I'd ask my vet and let my dad know. So I asked him if dog shampoo is OK for a 7-week old puppy, or if it has to be puppy shampoo. To my surprise, my vet said to just go ahead and use human shampoo. Not baby shampoo (like Johnson & Johnson's)-- just regular old shampoo.

It just seemed strange to me and I was wondering if anyone knew of any solid data on the subject. I did a little looking online, and all I found were posts in message boards to the effect of, "NO, NEVER use human shampoo, dogs and humans are different, that's why they make DOG shampoo" and so on. But this is our VET recommending this, so clearly he must have a reason to say it's OK??

If anyone knows why human shampoo SHOULDN'T be used, I'd appreciate an explanation for exactly WHY not-- not just responses like "dog products are for dogs and people products are for people." Thanks!

Comments (21)