SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silvergold_gw

Please tell me about cat allergies (theirs, not mine)

silvergold
17 years ago

Hi there. Our Maine Coone cat, Wilson, has some issues that I think are allergy related, but doesn't seem match up exactly with anything I read on the internet. Have a follow up with the vet in two weeks. We have discussed doing allergy testing. Just want to make sure there isn't another possibility that I'm not thinking about. Any input you can provide is greatly appreciated!!

Meds:

- antihistamine chlorpheniramine maleate (2 mg, 2 times daily) for a while now. I think it helps with some of his symptoms.

- prednisolone from time to time.

- just finished a trial of both at the same time. He developed severe symptoms just as we ended the pred so he is back on it. Unfortunately his pred trial ended at the same time we started opening the windows to let the spring air in. The pred, and running the house fan (we have a built in air cleaner) seems to be helping some with the twitchy, wild behavior.

Symptoms:

* Sores at the corner of his mouth started a year ago and have not gone away. Most of the time, they do not seem to bother him too much but they are now. The sores do not extend into his mouth. They do form scabs that fall off periodically. About a year ago the vet did a scraping of the area and I think there was little or no signs of granuloma. Pictures look nothing like what I've seen on the internet. Does not look like stomatitis either. His teeth and gums look healthy.

Periodic symtoms (much worse now):

* Pain eating. Looks around wildly and then jumps/runs quickly away as if something bit him. Actually afraid of eating on his usual mat - as if he thinks the mat is hurting him(picked up some canned food and will try soaking his hard food in water, he eats out of a metal bowl)

* twitching/rolling skin. No signs of sores. (although he will dash through the house, he does not bite at his tail, drool or howl - i.e. hyperesthesia)

* When he is in one of his states, he will purr and look very wild. He seems sensative to petting.

* Increased face washing

I do know that Wilson had a similar reaction about a year ago to a solid form room freshener. When we got rid of it, his wild twitchy cat act was greatly improved. The other thing is that Wilson has always drank a lot of water.

Any ideas? Anything you think I'm missing that I should look into?

Thanks!!

Comments (9)