SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_p_gw

cat repro. questions-have you heard of.....?

cheryl_p
16 years ago

Some will remember that I took in a little female cat from the cold back in mid Feb. I put off having her spayed because of possible pregnancy. (I don't apoligize for my opinion on this just as I don't ridicule the opposite end of the spectrum, thank you.) A couple of weeks later she showed "heat" behavior: "loving" on everything with butt held high & tail kinked to the side; swollen rear-end region with her licking very often; yeowling this eerie, supernatural, painful sounding call for hours at a time; and most convincing was all the tom-cats hanging around - totally new, strange cats. We even had 2 of them come up and stare in the window at different times at night. This was so bizarre and totally a new experience for the family.

Well, a couple of days after all this ended I scheduled spaying thinking to be thankful for not having her be in pain (the yeowling!) any longer- she's such a little (just under 8 pounds) sweetheart (wants to be with us all the time) beauty (long hair, big eyes, hair curling out of her ears... in a pretty way though). I had told the vet's intake girl/aid all these occurrances. When I went to pick her up I noticed a higher bill and they said.... get this.... she had been PREGNANT! I am so crushed! Would most of you have assume she had been in heat? Or am I a total idiot? Yes her nipples were still longer and belly still hard. The intake aid said that it probably was just her "conformation".

I only found two mentionings of it on the internet - cats possibly going into heat while pregnant. Have any of you heard of it? I know what my family saw, but I can't believe that I was so empty headed and didn't stop to insist on her being checked or something. Sorry to be so long here, but thanks for the "vent". Perhaps this post will save someone else the same grief.

Comments (16)