SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
citytransplantzone5

Please show how you use your countertops

Finally moved into our new home and for the first time have enough counter space for me to prepare meals on and plenty for when the children come and we all cook together.

The problem is, when I put the needed things on the counter tops, like basket of spoons, salt and pepper, tea bag canister, mixer, soap, hand lotion, cutting board, bottle of various oils GEEZE!! all of a sudden it looks very messy and cluttered. Sooo, I took everything off and it does not look lived in.

So please, please, post pictures of your everyday counter tops, you know practical, not for just when company comes over. I would love to get some good ideas to co-ordinate the overall look.

Comments (53)

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Val - how high is that MW over the counter? I have 18.5" but I just don't know if I can turn the 27" counter to the right of my stove into a coffee center. Coffemaker seems too high, and I worry about steam. Is yours higher?

Sorry for hijacking - I would show you pics of my counters, but they always have crayons, coloring books, tapemeasures, screwdrivers, etc. on them!

• teacats
    15 years ago

My kitchen prep area (items like the four-slice toaster lives on the Lazy Susan in the lower cupboard; Splenda packs are kept in the large bean pot):

Side area (where the coffee maker and the radio live)

Sink area (where the oft-used electric kettle lives LOL! onions are in the large old bowl on the island; tomatoes in the small white bowl in the corner of the breakfast bar)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Related Discussions

Please show me how you tiled around your pass-through window!

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi y'all. Please show me some pics! I have a "window" from my kitchen into my DR in my condo (pretty typical of condos, apts., etc.) and I need help with tiling it. I thought this crown molding above the tile was a very cool idea! I would have taken it a little bit higher, though.
    ...See More

Please show me the overhang for your mitered edge countertop

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm facing exactly the same dilemma. Please let me know what you ended up doing and if you found any answers/pictures of overhang with mitered edge countertop. Thank you!
    ...See More

Please show how you stake your citrus tree.

Q

Comments (13)
    A primer: A first order branch grows directly off the trunk. A second order branch grows from a first order branch, and so on. A leaf axil is the crotch formed by the leaf stem (petiole) and the branch it attaches to. There are dormant buds in leaf axils and immediately above the bundle scars where leaves were formerly attached. The problem isn't in that your tree doesn't have a leader, it does, but it has another branch that "thinks" it wants to be a co-dominant leader, which is an easy fix. BTW - there's nothing wrong with a trunk that undulates as opposed to one that is perfectly vertical. Beauty is in the eye ....... I find trunks with movement more interesting, but that's just me. The more vertical portion of the stem above the shock cord is the natural leader, but you can make a leader grow anywhere you like, easily, and at some point, you might want to do that, so your options are too numerous to count. The first order branch that grows to the right in the image is your lowest branch (for now). The 2 lower first order branches won't really ever be a part of the tree unless you decide to 'build' the tree from one of those branches, but they ARE useful as sacrifice branches. If you keep them, they should be shortened and any vertical second order growth that occurs on them should be removed. Vertical branches are more powerful energy sinks than horizontal branches, so the plant will dedicate more energy into vertical branches than horizontal branches, and it doesn't matter what order the branch might be. For now the 2 lower branches serve as food factories, producing photosynthate that will help to strengthen the trunk and make the tree stronger o/a, but they can be removed at any time. My plan would be to keep them until the trunk is strong enough to support itself. Then they go away, with your help. If you like a trunk that undulates, you can remove the natural leader above the shock cord and cut the upper first order branch that moves to the right back to 2 leaves. Within a few days, you'll have new branches growing in the axils (crotches) of those leaves. Remove the branch you don't want, and keep the other. You MIGHT need to give it some gentle guidance if it doesn't grow in the exact direction you want it to grow, but that's easy when branches are young & supple. ..... got all that? ;-) Al
    ...See More

How would you re-purpose this? Show us your ideas!

Q

Comments (32)
    Gosh don't tell me I'm the only one with "stuff" they don't know what to do with? I have this. It's from a house my parents bought that was built in 1900. It's the back from a fireplace, but IIRC the fireplace was more modern so gas, maybe? It's NOT iron...I'm not sure what it is, really. The center circle opens up via a hinge and it's about 20 wide by 27 high. It would fit my fireplace perfectly, but it would be sitting sideways :( Anyway. Would you get rid of it and try to exorcise your sentimentality, put it back in the closet, or try to so something (?) with it?
    ...See More
  • citytransplant(zone5)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Seesharee, your kitcen is so nice and uncluttered, I have a mixer like yours and must leave it out because it is too heavy for me to lift when needed. Valinsv, so beautiful, completely uncluttered, yet very comfy and welcoming. Jan love your kitchen, it is decorated really nicely. Yes, I forgot to mention that I have my electric kettle out all of the time too. I did have a "beverage" center to place the kettle, but the phone gets in the way and I too worry about the steam constantly hitting the upper cabinets.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out, guess I need to hide the utensils, find some pretty soap and lotion dispensers, and get decorative items. Oh I forgot to mention yet another thing that must stay on the counter, the "chicken" pot. It is a blue spatter ware pot that I keep the table scraps in to compost for now and maybe, perhaps one day to give to the future chickens. ..Oh never mind I guess I could keeep that under the sink.

I will try to post pictures, but am not very good at it.

Thanks again.

Joan

• robin2007
    15 years ago

We have quite a bit of counter space. I like the "less is more" look. I don't like the cluttered counter look.
    We have a set of 4 knives in a wood block next to the stove. Then we have a tall glass dish that I use to decorate for the season/holiday. I switch out the contents of the dish throughout the year.
    That's it for us.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I have very little counter space, but I cook a lot every day so I keep a lot on the counter - blender, mini-processor, toaster, coffee grinder, oil bottle that's too tall to fit in the cupboard, stand mixer. And two cookie jars!

It's a very nice work space, u-shaped, but I sure could use more space. There is no room in the cupboards for the appliances, but I wouldn't put them away anyway. I use them too often, so that would be a big nuisance.

It drives my friend who doesn't cook much nuts, but my kitchen is comfy and easy to keep clean. She spends a lot of time in my kitchen instead of her own clutter-free kitchen.

• jlj48
    15 years ago

I love everyone's beautiful kitchens. I actually like my kitchen, but I have laminate countertops with dingy grout. I would love to have quartz, then of course I would have to have a new undermount sink. Can't justify spending the money right now on something so much that isn't really a necessity. For those of you that have raised microwaves, do you every burn yourself pulling out hot items from up high? I would like to replace my dull range hood with a microwave/range hood but I worry about the kids getting hurt.
    And as for my counters, I keep canisters of dry goods, coffee pot and toaster (son bought it with his own money for me for Christmas and was so proud - I HAVE to keep it out). That works for us but my biggest problem is my pennisula. It is always full of clutter - mail, coupons, drawings, ect. I would love it to always be cleared off but I cannot seem to make it happen. It happens occasionally but doesn't last long. I'm still searching for a system to deal with all of it.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Geez...you all have such pretty kitchens! And every single one is tidy too. Well you know me...ol' packrat persnick will cover any flat surface with junk. LOL

I've got a working kitchen. Three meals a day and I bake lots of breads, cakes, etc. The kitchen is my favorite place in the house! I have 2 pantries...one for appliances (the microwave is even in there) and another for food stuff. Just about everything is done on the island, so I decorate the perimeter countertops.

The panels for the fridge and dishwasher STILL aren't on yet and I've yet to make up my mind on what to do for the backsplash (leaning towards green onyx), but this is what our kitchen looks like on any given day. :o)

The flower pots beside the sink have dishtowels & napkins in them.

And I have bunnies this month. :o)

• jlj48
    15 years ago

Also - I almost forgot. Teacats - I LOVE your dining chairs! Would you mind sharing where you found them? Are you happy with them? Thanks.
    Joanie

• jlj48
    15 years ago

persnickety - Love your kitchen! I see no range hood. Do you have one built in? Love your shelf above stove.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

We also don't like clutter as a general rule but you know...you gotta live in it right. LOL! The things we have on the counter all the time:

Coffee maker
    Toaster oven
    Knife set
    Decorative oils
    A small cannister set
    A candle
    Cookbook standing up
    Decorative plate

The things we have when I'm not taking photos for Gardenweb:
    My Purse
    A pile of papers from the kids school or things I have to remember to do later
    Hand Washed dishes drying on a towel
    A cell phone or two plugged in
    Towels (especially on my barstools for the kiddos)
    Bananas
    A fish named "Crystal Blue"
    A glass of water for my cat to drink out of...seriously! LOL

Gardenweb Life:

Real life:

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Lindy...those chairs are to die for!

Joanie...Thank you so much! We have an Inca Pro vent that's built into the cabinet.

• twizzis
    15 years ago

Wow...some gorgeous kitchens here! Citytransplant, you mentioned oils. This is what I did:

• teacats
    15 years ago

Joanie! Thanks!!! I found those 50s-era dining chairs YEARS ago at an antique fair -- along with the matching table (which is stored in the attic -- its way too small!) The great thing about those chairs -- a large curved seat (LOL!) VERY comfortable!

Jan (who does need a large curved seat in her dining chair ..... LOL!)

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

teacats, I didn't notice the chairs but WOW. They're seriously cool and I'm surprised, actually, that they're comfortable, so they're that much better!

(I remember my disappointment at finding that the Bertoia wire chairs were actually quite uncomfortable. End of a dream for me)

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

Oh, good lord. Y'all make me too embarrassed to post a "real" picture of my kitchen. I'm so glad Lindy posted one with a shopping bag on the island and lotion on the countertop because ours is just always covered with "stuff".

persnickety, could you please tell me more about your little plaque describing "The South"? I'd love to read what it says and maybe be able to find it for my own kitchen!

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

There are some seriously cool kitchens here.

Lindybarts you made my day with your real life photos!! Gotta love a woman who fesses up ;-)

Persnickety your kitchen is just yummy.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Thanks! Fairytalebaby, here's a close-up of the plaque. It came from a little shop next door to the fabric store that I'm addicted to. It's called Clementine Home & Gifts in Augusta, GA. I stop in there about once a week and they ALWAYS have new things. I have their phone number if you'd like it or I could just stop by and see if they have another plaque if you want one. :o)

• Meghane
    15 years ago

I don't like a lot of stuff on the counters. The soda bottle is to go out for recycling. The beer bottle was taken out to celebrate finishing painting, and needed to be drunk before being recycled.

• midwestmom
    15 years ago

persnickety, i love the green lidded jars, or whatever they are called. would you share where you got them at? your kitchen is very pretty.

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

Oh, Persnickety, I need that plaque! I will look up that little shop tomorrow during business hours and if I have any trouble I would gladly take your help! Thanks for the close-up picture.

I just love it. I'm originally a midwestern girl but have been living in Florida and Tennessee for nearly 10yrs.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Midwestmom...The jars came from Home Goods! I just wrapped some berries around the tops of them. :o)

Fairytalebaby...that shop is a treasure trove of goodies. I wish they had an online store for everyone to look at. They display their items in a way that makes you ooh and ahhh everytime you go in. There's always something unexpected. They're such wonderfully talented ladies!

• lv_r_golden
    15 years ago

I am in SoCal where you see houses in a Mediterranean style with a hint of Spanish Colonial, rather unlike most of the houses I see on this forum. I do realize it is a bit regional and maybe not everyone's taste. That said, here is my kitchen. I am not one for a lot on the counter, but my purse likes to be by the phone and the mail and bags of whatever tend to jump up by the fruit. I cook a lot and often, most everything needed to cook is within reach or just a few steps.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Everyone's kitchens are great, I love to see the pictures.

Persnickety, I have the same green lidded jars - in my dining room.

Haven't posted pictures before, sorry if they are too big.

• User
    15 years ago

I love everyone's kitchen.

Ok so company just left. My kitchen area looks pretty messy right about now. There's dishes out, cups, etc. My purse is on the DR chair, the flour container is sitting on the counter and a couple of magazines made it to the island as well. It's getting late here and I'm absolutely beat tonight or I'd take a pic. :)

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

Wow great pictures! I love this thread. I will post some pictures this afternoon.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

My 'rule' is that anything that is used daily DESERVES to be out on the countertops -- so if it's ugly, get a good-looking one! Anything used less than once a week should probably be put away unless it's great-looking and intended to be decorative. For 'in between' stuff, I try to balance functionality, beauty, and PITA of getting it out.

• harriethomeowner
    15 years ago

Not to highjack this, but lv_r_golden, is that Giallo Ornamental granite? What kind of tile do you have as a backsplash?

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

Persnickety, I ordered the sign! The ladies at Clementine were so nice. I can't decide though how I'm going to have them ship it to me--I was hoping for just regular mail but they said that would cost $10. Is the sign really that big? I thought it would only cost a few dollars to send--what do you think?

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Here are my countertops. I have more functional stuff on mine rather than decorative.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

Meg, I love your kitchen! I'll have a lot of red in mine, also.

Okay, I changed my mind about showing pictures. :) Here's my kitchen. As you can see, I'm into the "clean" look. lol.

• try_hard
    15 years ago

PersnicketyDesign: What is the name of the green paint in your kitchen?

LV_R_Golden: I love your island pendants. Do you mind telling me who makes those?

Sorry for the quick hijack of this thread.

Thanks!
    try_hard

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

LOL, Oak! Glad you changed your mind.

• lv_r_golden
    15 years ago

Harriet, the granite is Venetian Gold, very similar. It didn't photograph well, has much more color than it appears - maybe it was the photographer! The tile is 3x6 beveled brick from the Walker Zanger Alhambra group. It also didn't show well in the pictures, it is hand made and has lots of personality and variations. That specific tile was the single most inspiration piece that started this entire house.

Oak, we have all had a kitchen just like yours at sometime or another! Love it!

Try_hard, the island pendants are exterior/outdoor lights are by Troy Lighting, though I probably bought them about 2 years ago while we were building.

And not to be off topic, I do keep onions and garlic on the counter. The oils are only decorative.

• try_hard
    15 years ago

LV_R_Golden: I found the lights, Troy still makes them. Thanks for the tip!

try_hard

• stu2900
    15 years ago

Not much countertop space here and I don't like clutter, but as you can see we have to have cannisters for doggie treats and I can't live without my electric wine opener!

• Oakley
    15 years ago

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying this phase of the reno. Except no washer/dryer. My dh and I actually like having the fridge in the living room and all the food, along with the dining room table and TV! lol.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time for me since the cabs are being built right now.

Today my job is to order knobs and pulls. It's fun to do except the hutch will have glass knobs and pulls, and there are so many types to choose from!

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

I'm so glad they had one for you, fairytalebaby! I think it should only cost $4-5 to ship it, but they charge for packing materials & such. Do you want me to pick it up and ship it to you? I've got boxes and bubble wrap here already. :o)

Try_hard...the paint in the kitchen is SW Hearts of Palm. It's a chameleon green. LOL It looks completely different depending upon how the light is hitting it at certain times of day. I absolutely adore this color! We also used it a shade darker (Sassy Green) in our sunroom.

lv_r_golden...I didn't even notice that the jars were the same until I read it at the bottom of your post. They look so elegant in your dining room! I LOVE the goodies on the top shelf of your butlers' pantry.

• oofasis
    15 years ago

lv_r_golden - I love your bowls! Please tell me where to find them.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

here's mine...I'm the Queen of 'too much stuff', so it's hard to keep an uncluttered look...and no, you're not seeing double, all back splashes are mirror.

Decorative side

Functional side.

Even more functional

Components for the TV (TV is housed in above cabinet)

• hhireno
    15 years ago

My brother said in his next home he was building the countertops peaked, like a roof, so that they wouldn't accumulate stuff. I think he underestimates his kids. They would still place stuff there & when it slid off onto the floor - they would leave it there in a pile! At least you don't have to bend over to pick up the flotsam & jetsam off a countertop like you do from the floor.

• melody55
    15 years ago

I just had granite countertops installed and I think I'm being too picky about using them. I have a toaster oven - can I put that on the granite without putting some felt or something under the legs so they won't stain the granite...what about hot dishes do I need a bamboo board or hot plates?? I never used them on my old beat up butcher block when stuff came out of the microwave...but Now since they were just installed friday I'm the freakout queen. What about a dish strainer or drainer...can I use it and then remove and put it away!!
    I think I'm too afraid to stain the counter which is ridiculous I know...Please help with suggestions.

• lv_r_golden
    15 years ago

Thanks, Persnickety, the goodies on top shelf of the pantry were in our old house as well and are what became a collection of 17 different pieces. You can't see the longer wall of the pantry but they line the top shelf there and then the overflow ended up in the office / study. I love them. No two are the same shape.

Oofasis, thanks, I love the bowls too. I got them on a close out at Z Gallerie now a couple of years ago.

Happy Spring Break!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

Well, when I built my house I did not want the appliances taking over the kitchen so I had one of those hydraulic lift shelves for my Kitchen-Aid Mixer. A wonderful thing and then I bought more appliances. So here is how mine is laid out:

To the right of the sink is the coffee maker, electric kettle and food processor (finally convinced DH to put up the espresso maker). To the left is a deruta crock that holds my scrub brushes. I am looking for an appropriate container to keep the lotion, dish soap, and hand soap together in a neat group (thinking wire basket).

In my prep area is my knife block and another crock holding silicone spatulas, whisks, and a microplane grater. When I am cooking I do not want to search through a drawer. The blender will be moved back here (it is used at least 5 times a week, I don't care to move it around too much).

Next to my cooktop is another crock holding wooden spoons, metal spoons, and more whisks (cooking is serious and I want it all there when I want it, no fishing around in drawers).

On another counter is my grain mill. It is used a couple of times a week and hauling it out is a pain. This time of the year there are also seed trays in any available space of the kitchen. I did get an under-cabinet CD player which is lovely.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful countertops. I'm totally jealous because 90% of the time our countertop is covered w/ kids' junk! :-D (The other 10% is when my MIL came for a visit and all the junk is stashed in the cabinets) haha... :-)

Lvrgolden: That kitchen is TDF. I love your stove, and it's interesting how you lay the floor diagonal. I have never seen Versailles pattern laid like that!

Pernicky: Gosh girl -- your countertop is magazine worthy!!

Oak: love that kitchen! no countertop for kids to pile junks on -- how clever :-D

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Joanne - is that a wallpaper border as a backsplash? I never thought of making it low and trimming it out with wood molding under the cabinets. I was thinking I had to find something more than 18" tall. I'm looking for something temporary (maybe 1-10 years) until I can afford tile. I love your cabinets BTW!

My countertop (at least the island) is dd's art - completed, in progress, and supplies! The other part (by the fridge) is junk mail and samples of wood trim and crown molding (6" - 2ft long). Plus a basket of screwdrivers, switchplates, etc. between the phone and the toaster. Someday my house will be done and I'll get the tools out of the kitchen! But I got my custom drawer boxes for my island yesterday, hopefully this week I'll get them installed (two 17x18 drawers) and reorganize to get dd's stuff off the counter! FR 10ft away is too far for her (or me!) to walk and put stuff away or get things out, so it piles up on the end by the fruit bowl. If I have it right there at the island maybe it'll get put away (I can just sweep it off onto the lower part and then into the drawer!).

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

ajsmomma, yes, it's wallpaper border. I didn't intend on using it as a back splash. We put up this border about 15 years ago and I kept it up -- when we put in the new kitchen 3 years ago, cause I like it so much. The other back splashes are mirror, so on the cabinet in the photo, we put mirror above the border that is above the cabinet...:)
    The rest of the breakfast room has the border as well, in the middle and on the top. I am thinking of removing it and just having paint, however, I keep flip flopping about it. This particular border is quite durable and washes up beautifully, without any fading at all...and I still like it a lot, which is very unusual for me, cause I change things often.

The photo is a little dark, cause so much sun is streaming in that I had to shut the blinds, but you get the idea --it was meant to be a border.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

How much are mirrors custom-cut for backsplash? Though I'm not sure I want to reflect the back of the MW, toaster, etc.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

The mirror on the long counter we installed in 1985 ...took it off 3 years ago for the kitchen renovation, and then put it back up.
    The other mirrors -- behind the stove and in the breakfast area (the one above the border paper) we cut ourselves. So, the answer is, I don't know what it would cost today. If you call a mirror store, they can give you an estimate.

• User
    15 years ago

Mostly mine looks like this since I am always making something LOL...I love looking at everyone's kitchens...really great thread.

This is what I keep on the baking counter:

{{gwi:612474}}

and this is the coffee counter:

• nicole__
    15 years ago

sjt2900.....same granite as me!!
    Cliff....love the moon & sun plate!
    I actually put clutter on the counter to make the place look "normal". I have sooooooooooooo many cupboards(22 across), I don't need the space.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• stu2900
    15 years ago

OK, nicole_, 22 cabinets? Can I come live with you? Actually, I'd probably have to find things to put in them. :) But, don't ya just love that granite? I had a fancier backsplash planned, but when I found the granite, I decided to keep the backsplash quieter so the granite could be the star. And you used it everywhere. Fabulous!
    DM hates it though, she can never tell if it's clean or dirty! This is a great thread, I wish I had room for some of the beautiful decorative pieces you all have!