SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

What Countertop Oven Would You Recommend?

amck2
13 years ago

When they became too much for my Mom I took over hosting the big holiday meals. Since then I have always wished I had double ovens in my kitchen. But I don't, and I don't see that happening soon - maybe never.

Do any of you have and use a countertop oven that you would highly recommend. I'd especially like one that could bake bread or rolls.

Comments (25)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I just finished researching and bought the Cuisanart model CostCo carries (same features as TOB-195). It accomodates a 12" pizza & has convection option.

If I wanted to spend more I'd go for the Breville which has been highly recommended here (the convection model).

What really helps with Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners are Salton hot trays.

• mudlady_gw
    13 years ago

I own the Cuisinart that is like the CostCo version above. I like that it has a digital setting for temperatures. I recently saw a really nice oven--think it was Kitchen Aid, but not sure-and I realized it is wider than mine. I do occasionally wish mine were wider when a dish or pan won't fit. Another thing, last night I made a casserole in the Corning dish I used to use in my stove's oven. The Corning Ware lid handle wouldn't fit, even with the rack at the lowest setting. I had to use foil. I think, if you are wishing for a second stove size oven, you should choose the largest toaster oven you can find.

Just had another thought--I make my pies in a 10 inch plate and my toaster oven is problematic. The pie, when cooked on the middle rack, burns in two stripes where the top crust sits under the electric element. I have to protect the pie with foil and remove it during the last few minutes, and then rotate the pie every couple minutes in order to get a nicely browned top.
    Nancy

• Related Discussions

How brave would you be? Counter top choice.....

Q

Comments (14)
    I like the busier one, but these are SUCH small samples. If there is one lesson I have learned, and cannot emphasize enough, is that you MUST GO SEE THE SLABS. Really. I know you have seen one of them, although even that marble may be entirely different if you go back to the granite yard and look at another slab of that same marble. You may find a slab of the busier one which isn't so busy over the entire slab, or a slab of the quieter one that may have large veins in it that aren't in the sample. So don't make a choice until you see several slabs of these marbles, and then just choose by which slab you like. BTW, don't forget to bring your cabinet samples and soapstone samples to the granite yard with you.
    ...See More

Would you choose granite or quartz counter top? Why?

Q

Comments (12)
    One mistake you are making in your thinking is a common one - that all granites are lumped together in one group. There are thousands of granites. Some are carefree and will not stain and can take all kitchen tasks for years and years without showing anything. In the other extreme are granites that are more stain-prone, require sealing every few months and can be etched and/or stained. My granite counters are more than 10 years old. They have not been sealed. I do not baby them, and have spilled things like wine and tomato juice on them while cooking. They look like the day they were installed. I have never in all this time grown tired of their natural beauty. Go to a stoneyard, and ask to see granites that have "low absorption rates", i.e. they are dense, and therefore won't stain. If you see a granite you like, and can't find information on its durability, get the name, and also take a photo, and post on this forum. Likely someone will have information on it.
    ...See More

Does anyone have porcelain countertops? Would you recommend them?

Q

Comments (4)
    So many thread on this subject. The biggest problem appears to be finding a good installer who doesn’t treat it like granite. Hard to find as this product is new in the US.
    ...See More

what color quartz counter tops would you do?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would do a darker color— probably black. I think the white on white will make your floor stand out more. The black/white combo will make the cabinets pop.
    ...See More
  • jessyf
    13 years ago

amck, do you want a toaster oven (the two mentioned above, reasonable price) or do you want a heavier duty, catering quality type (and more $$) unit?

• User
    13 years ago

I have the Cuisinart convection toaster oven broiler (it was the TOB 175 when I got it 6 years ago) and I really like it. It's very useful and I use it almost every day. Since I live alone, it's much easier to use than the big oven.

My son has one too and he does a lot of baking in it. He even bakes his homemade bread in it. I've baked chicken, pizza, pretty much anything that needs to be baked.

It's my second oven when I'm hosting a big dinner, I use it along with my countertop induction 5th "burner", two things I don't need more than a few times a year.

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jessyf, this post is the jumping off point of my serious search, so I'm not sure what's out there and what the price points are.

We received a toaster oven as a gift when we got married - 33 yrs ago! - and it wasn't worth the counter space it took up. The racks were thin & rickety, the heat was uneven, and you could only fit miniature pans in it.

I know they've come a long way and I'm trying to figure out what would best suit my needs and budget. I'd rather save up and pay more for something I'll really use, but I don't think I need professional quality.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

I was asking because I see two products out there. One is the consumer grade 'toaster oven' like the Cuisinart mentioned above - I have one too and its just fine - these units are basically stainless steel wrapped around a couple of heating elements with 'temperature' controls, not too different from what you got 33 years ago. No insulation. Usually price is around or just under $100.

I've lusted for, but can't justify, what I consider a huge step up in quality and price - true countertop ovens - used by caterers who need one on site. Some of these used to be discussed on GW's Appliance forum, by cpovey (a caterer) and joeblowe. I think the threads have fallen off. I agree something 'professional' may be overkill.

I'd suggest you look at a Target/Walmart, rap a few TOs on their sides, pick them up, etc. Then go to a catering or restaurant supply store and see what a step up will get you. You are the only one who can decide what will work for you at what price point. For me, the Cuisinart TO is great for some things but I don't consider it a second oven for significate baking, especially size wise.

Maybe you can call a few caterers around town and see what they use, perhaps someone might even want to sell you a used one.

Here is a link that might be useful: One website

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Over in Kitchen Forum there was recently a thread on ''do you love your toaster oven'', with quite a few models discussed. There have been some toaster ovens threads here too, that I have found helpful.

The commercial countertop ovens are mostly 220v. There are a few 110v models, not many. If you have 220v, you might find a used commercial one for $500+.

The decision may depend on what you want to cook in the second oven, and how often you'll use it. For example, if it is ''bigger things'' and ''just for holidays'' then maybe get a used commercial one, store it in the garage, and a few times/yr set it up where-ever you have 220v. If it is ''small things'' and ''frequently'' then try a modern toaster oven.

I'm finding my toaster oven works fine for small broiling and roasting jobs.

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jessyf, thanks for the thoughtful & informative post. It's helping me analyze my wants/needs. I checked the link & prices were more than I want to pay - before the coming holidays for sure. The Waring was the most reasonable and I've had good luck with a couple of their products. I'll research that one further.

What got DH & I talking about this was his suggestion that we bake our own rolls this year. I have a portable mini Zo bread machine that works for our back & forth lifestyle between home & the lake & the small loaf size is good for when we're empty nesters.

But I would love to try recipes for full-size loaves and bake them off in an oven when we have friends & family here. So often, though, the oven is in use at another temp. setting when I'm making company meals. I'd also like to use it instead of heating up the big oven if I'm just baking a loaf of bread.

I guess what it boils down to is that I'm looking for a countertop oven that can sub for other jobs when we're feeding a crowd, but mostly one that is good for baking bread.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I love - love - love the Breville Smart Oven. I have a Dacor Pure Convection regular oven, but choose to use the Breville for everything that will fit inside.
    It makes the best toast - perfect everytime! I cook pizza, ham, pasta dishes, roast veggies, stews that I would normally cook in the Dacor oven~I cook in the Breville. Tonight I will be cooking a Pork tenderloin in the Breville - normally, I would grill it outside, but it is cold and windy, so I'll try it in the Breville.
    I bought it last year after reading how much people loved it on this forum. It is larger then most toaster ovens, and you need access to an outlet that is not behind the oven, because you have to unplug it after using, but I think it is worth giving up my limited counter space to have this oven. We use it daily.
    The plate warmer on the top of the oven is wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breville

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jessyf directed questions to me and in my haste I didn't acknowledge others' replies when I answered them. johnliu, I likely was typing my post when you submitted yours.

I appreciate the input you've all taken time to give me. I know this purchase is very subjective, but I trust the opinions I get here in helping me make a choice.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

(you won't be the first to skim over replies...even I'm guilty! Sometimes intentional, darfc...) I like magothyriver's Breville. I'm going to check it out for myself.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Bed Bath and Beyond also carries the Breville- look for 20% off coupons to use. I also bought another pizza pan thru Amazon along with other stuff and got free shipping. I use both pizza pans when I make pizza.
    I am not a baker, so cannot give opinions on 'baking', but the pizza crust is perfect everytime.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

I have the same Breville as magothyrivergirl. I do love it, I upgraded from the Cuisinart TOB 175, but it may be a toss up as I loved the Cuisinart too. But the Breville was open box discount and the 20% coupon at BB&B so it was hard to pass up. I sold the Cuisinart on Craigslist at a good price.

So Magothyrivergirl, why are we unplugging the Breville?

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to my local BedBath & Beyond yesterday to check out the Breville. When I was walking toward the display I overheard a salesclerk talking with a customer on the phone who was inquiring whether or not they had the Breville Smart Oven in stock. She confirmed they had 2 left.

I looked the machine over and thought it would be a good choice for me. But I wanted to talk w/ DH first, before I made the call and I didn't have my 20% off coupon with me, as I hadn't planned to make a purchase till next week.

The ending - I bought the Breville today. No shipping. No sales tax (yeah NH!) and the coupon brought it to just under $200.

I hope to have time tomorrow to rearrange everything on my counters so it can have a home. I'll let you know how I like it after I put it through a few trials.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Mustangs - I pulled out the manual to see why we unplug - safety --must be another reason. I know I read it somewhere to unplug. I did read unplugging is required to get the settings back to default, as it remembers the last action within the categories. Maybe amck will find out the reason we unplug when she reads the directions.

Amck - Congratulations on your deal. I hope you love it as much as I do!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I don't think I have read a post by anyone who didn't like their Breville. Please come back and tell us how you like it.

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm back to report on the "maiden voyage" of my new Breville Smart Oven. Hip, hip, hooray! I think I'm going to love this machine.

I baked my first batch of a dozen homemade dinner rolls yesterday. I used the baking pan that came with it and lined it with parchment paper. Used the Bake setting (turned off the Convection feature)and the rolls baked to a lovely, uniform golden color in exactly the time indicated on the recipe. The bottoms were perfect, too.

The Breville preheated in a fraction of the time it takes for my big oven, and it was quiet (I'm anxious to try it w/ convection to hear how loud it is w/ the fan. My full-size Dacor oven is super loud, even w/out the convection feature on).

So far, so good! I promise I'll let you know if I run into any hiccups with it.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Amck, good for you! I know you will love it more with each use.

Until recently I didn't adjust the rack as indicated on the glass on the door for the various functions; it helps. I guess I didn't because the magnet only functions when the rack is in the middle position. I am going to purchase an oven rack puller because it is difficult to pull out the rack without burning yourself when you use a silicone pot holder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rack Puller

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mustangs, thanks for the link. I just baked a cranberry/apple cake in the Breville (looks great), and the rack puller would be a helpful gadget. But, after that I'm pulling the plug on purchasing any more kitchen gear...

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I did buy a rack puller tool - a metal one - cheap (maybe from Tuesday Morning) and I always use it! If there was a complaint, it would be my slight burns on my knuckles from removing the food off the racks~but the oven is so wonderful - what's a little ouch now and then? I do change the rack levels because I cook bigger meals in it.

Amck - ahhh- another full size Dacor owner. Compared to the fan on the Dacor and the overall loudness, and amt of time to preheat.....you will love this Breville. For what we paid for the Dacor, it amazes me that I am so incredibly giddy over this Breville!

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Glad you are enjoying it! I'll keep this in mind for if my TO ever dies. Gee maybe I shouldn't keep it so close to the window ledge....

• maureen_me
    13 years ago

Congratulations on getting the Breville! We've had one for about six months now, and we really love it. My favorite thing is the little bump-out in back, to let you do an entire pizza in it. (I don't use it for pizza, but I like knowing I could if I wanted to.) It's great in the summer also, when you don't want to heat up the kitchen the way the big oven does.

I was a little freaked out to read that I'm supposed to be unplugging it after every use, so I did a search for the word "plug" in the pdf version of the owner's manual that I downloaded, and I didn't find anything in there that says you should routinely unplug it. If you remember where you heard that, magothyrivergirl, could you post something about it? The only reason I can think of is if you're one of those people who worries about leaving things plugged in because they're potential fire hazards. Other than that . . . ?

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I read through my instruction booklet and it did mention unplugging the unit, but my interpretation was that it was the standard manufacturer's fire safety precaution that is given for every small appliance I've ever purchased. I unplug all of mine after using, except my coffeemaker, which I do unplug if I'll be gone overnight.

This oven comes with preset temps & times for different functions (Bake/Pizza/etc.) but if you choose to alter these the oven will "remember" the new time/temp the next time you use it. If you want to reset it to the manufacturer's original times/temps you unplug the unit, then plug it back in again. You'd want to have easy access to the plug if you were inclined to do that.

Those automatic temp/time settings aren't an important feature for me. I've always manually set the temperature on the ovens I've had and set my timers, as well. It's an easy turn of the knob to scroll up to the desired temperature. I don't think I'd ever bother with the plugging & unplugging for that.

Bottom line, I think it's a fire safety precaution.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Ahhhhh.....thanks amck. I over researched buying this oven, so I may have read it on the internet. I remember reading people loved the hole in the plug for ease of unplugging. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm the only one of "we" in this household who unplugs :).
    I will mention, that when I make 2 pizzas (I use whole Foods crusts), I prebake the crusts for 4 mins. I set the dial to pizza 14" - turn off the convection and frozen- and then I increase the time to alot (like 45 mins?). I then use the timer on my Dacor. I found that on the Breville, when the 4 mins or whatever time was finished, the oven would go back to preheat. Too smart, maybe. It is just easier for me to use the timers on the Dacor and not let the Breville turn off while I am topping the pizzas. I only do this on pizzas, otherwise I use the settings & timer on the Breville.

• amck2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the baking tip (& I'll have to give Whole Foods crusts a try.) Good to hear that the Dacor is still earning its keep, lol!