SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennmonkey

Advice regarding leash walking

jennmonkey
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new to the Pet Forum. Here's a quick backround before my question.

My boyfriend and I have just adopted a sweet chocolate lab named Hank. So far, he has been the most wonderful doggy. I'm not sure of his age yet (has a vet appt on Friday for neutering/vaccines/microchipping/check-up), but we think he is pretty young still. He is a very fast learner. In the 5 days since we got him he has learned lay down, stay, not to whine/beg while we're eating dinner, to lay on his bed for special treats, etc. We read several positive reinforcement training books before we even brought him home, and decided on our rules, and are diligently sticking with them. We are giving him lots of exercise. He gets at least 2 or 3 walks a day, and vigorous fetch where he runs at full speed until he is ready to be done, LOL. He has chew toys (Kong and Nylabone), and has not chewed one thing he isn't supposed to. He is potty trained as well. He is very well behaved so far, and is the most cuddly, lovable dog I've ever met. The only time we have any problem getting him to listen is right after playing outside and he is worked up, and doesn't want to sit or give up his ball when we are ready to bring him in. Also when we are outside on walks.

Our biggest problem right now is he is nearly impossible to walk on a leash. He gets so excited and wants to sniff everything in site, and will not stop pulling! We're trying recommendations from the training books; turning immediately to the right or in the opposite direction, or completely stopping, but he will just stand there. He has a very hard time keeping his attention on us in the outdoors, because there are so many other exciting things going on. He is very food driven, but seems to care less about treats when there is grass to smell and birds to watch. Inside, he listens like a perfect angel.

A prof. dog walker told me to give him more time to settle in to his new surroundings and he will start listening better on walks, but I don't want to reinforce the pulling by allowing it to happen from the beginning. He is not much fun to take on walks right now. Any advice on getting him to pay more attention/listen better outside, or heeling and not pulling on the leash would be greatly appreciated. We would prefer to not use prong collars or choke chains. Thanks so much!!

Here is our Hanky-boy!

Comments (12)