SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturegurl_gw

Do you let your aggresive dog off-leash???

naturegurl
16 years ago

I had a disturbing conversation at a local park and am wondering how you feel about this: I am fortunate to have some areas nearby that allow dogs to be off-leash if they are under voice control. It's a wonderful way for dogs to socialize, run, swim, and get good & tired before you have to leave them home for hours while you go to work. :o) The woman I was talking to said recently a couple brought their pitbull to this particular park and took him off leash. He was clearly aggressive (this is in no way a reflection on my opinion of pitbulls, which can be wonderful companions if properly trained). There were several friendly dogs playing in the area off leash as well, and the pitbull raised his fur and snarled when one came too close. The concerned owners of the friendly dogs suggested to the couple that they put their dog back on the leash since he clearly did not play well with others. The response from the couple was that they had every right to be there just as much as anyone else, and they refused to leash him. So everyone else leashed their dogs and left.

Personally I am outraged at such selfishness! If you cannot be bothered to train your dog to NOT be aggressive then you DO NOT have the right to take him off leash if in a situation where other humans or people can get hurt. Period. I hope I am not alone in this viewpoint.

Thank you for letting me vent. I am climbing down from my soapbox now...

Comments (20)