SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamsundm

mirrored closet doors

hamsundm
14 years ago

I am thinking mirrored closet doors (prefer bifold over sliding) would make our tiny bedroom seem larger.

Anyone have pics of this working in their space? Or is this pretty dated? (I don't care if it's not really *the trend* right now, but I don't want it to look cheap, if that makes sense.) Google also brings up french door style mirrored doors, which might be pretty.

(I thought I remembered someone here using them but searched and can't find the post so maybe I'm dreaming?..)

Should I entertain this idea or pass?... thoughts?

Comments (27)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Bi-fold mirrored does do nothing to make a tiny bedroom seem "spacious" but rather reflect everything making it seem "cluttery". IMHO.

Those French doors do look a lot nicer and more "finished" with their wood framing but do you have the space for them to swing out?

• hamsundm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They also make bifold french mirrored doors.

Good point about accentuating the size of the room. I hadn't thought of it that way. The doors are opposite from the windows so I was also thinking of the light reflection.

• Related Discussions

Full height mirrored closet doors

Q

Comments (2)
    The bid I got last year was 1976.40 per set and I need two sets! - one for the bathroom and one for the bedroom. The estimates from the Big Box boys are running 450-600 per set. Of course that's without the beautiful wood trims and lattices but I figure I can live with it or fake it for that kind of price difference. Mac
    ...See More

Mirrored closet doors

Q

Comments (17)
    After seeing all the "don't do it!" answers to queries in other threads about vertical blinds, I'm actually a little surprised to see a fair amount of support for mirrored closet doors. I thought they were out, too. That said, we put some on years ago in our master bedroom and have never regretted it, for all the reasons stated above. My only complaint is that on the smaller of two closets the door drags on the floor so we tend to leave it open. I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust it, so if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them.
    ...See More

Mirrored closet doors?

Q

Comments (14)
    I don't see why you can DIY. It won't have a recessed look like the one you posted, but would look like the doors nosoccermom has. You can have mirror cut to the exact size you need so that the 6 panels are covered, then trim the edges out with molding. If you're concerned about additional weight on the door, then reinforce the hinges by replacing the center screws in the top and middle hinge with a much longer screw. Also, ask the mirror/glass supply store for some padded spacers. You will need them if there are gaps between the mirror and the panels on the doors. Gaps will allow the mirror to flex, something you don't want.
    ...See More

Installing mirrored sliding closet doors

Q

Comments (1)
    A picture of the opening is needed.
    ...See More
  • lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Some here suggested mirrored French doors a while back when I started a thread about using mirrored doors inside my walk-in closet. I love the idea for your small bedroom, PNE. If you use them, I hope you'll show us the end results! Don't forget to take Before & After pics.
    Lynn

• ms-thrifty
    14 years ago

Had them-still have them in guest room, hate them-IMO they do nothing to make room look larger-

• piasano
    14 years ago

We have sliding mirrored closet doors in our small bedroom.I love them. Two of the walls are almost all window though, so the mirrors reflect the outside and the room definitely appears more spacious.

What would your mirrors be reflecting?

Barbara

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Well, I have to disagree that a mirrored closet door makes a room feel 'cluttery'. We redid my DM's small bedroom (with very small window) replacing the sliders with bifold mirrored doors from Lowes. In addition to making the room feel much brighter and larger the doors also give her full access to her closet. She has been more than thrilled with the outcome and everyone loves the room. There wasn't room for swing out doors.

With artwork on the opposite wall and her pretty comforter, the reflection is quite nice.

• hamsundm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Definitely no consensus so far! :) Thanks for the input.

The mirrors would reflect the bed and the windows on the opposite wall.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I may be an odd ball, but a small bedroom isn't such a bad thing as long as you have room for all your needs, as in bed, storage and such. Spending money on mirrored doors in hopes to make the room "appear" larger is a waste of funds that could go some where more productive.
    Can you share photos and/or drawings of the layout of your room and the sizes of the furniture? There very well be other ways to add real space to your room than just he appearance of space.
    Things like wall mounted lamps leaving more space on the night stands or even wall mounted shelves in place of night stands can add so much more space than any mirror can.
    Just something to think about. I'm an obsessive space planner by nature, I just can't help myself.

• User
    14 years ago

Just a little FYI
    Home Depot offers bifold mirrored French doors. They look really nice but are somewhat pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: doors

• TheHostaCottage
    14 years ago

I have mirrored sliders in 2 small rooms. They are both bottom rollers.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

I also choose to put mirrored closet doors when we remodeled our house 4 years ago. I didn't know about this forum then and that they may be going out of date. Oh well. If I were to do over, I probably would've taken then out of the master, but I do like them in my DD's rooms. It is nice for them to check their appearance without going in the bathroom.

As for making a room look cluttered, I think it depends on if the room IS cluttered.

Here is a pic of the one in my DD's room:

• jimandanne_mi
    14 years ago

In my previous small place, I had sliding mirrored doors on the closets on each side of the hall into the master bath room, and changed both the 2nd bedroom (10'x12' room) double bifolds to mirrored doors and the front coat closet bifold to a mirrored door. They really helped reflect light around the rooms, and IMO made the rooms much nicer.

If you do it, I think the beveled edge on the door looks better than the plain edge.

Anne

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

If you want to use a mirror to make the space seem larger, have you considered a leaner mirror? I don't think the mirrored doors are odd, but I don't recall ever seeing them in new construction ... which may make them look "dated".

• sewwhatsnew
    14 years ago

We replaced ugly closet doors with mirror doors at our last home.I never paid much attention to what the reflection was, but really liked them. Raising 3 girls, lots of time was spent in front of those mirrors, even on their wedding day the room mirrored a beauty salon. I'd love to have one in my master at our new home, but hubby frowns on it. I saw a full length large floor mirror at Walmart this week, are they acceptable?? I've been thinking I should buy that! I miss my full length view.
    Been there, done that, no regrets...dated?? maybe, but I still like mirror closet doors, just don't see them in many homes.

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

O.K., ducking here, but whenever I see a large mirror in a bedroom, uhm, near the bed, I always wonder if it's an X mirror, if you KWIM.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

kiko, you should be ducking. That's a little girls room! Naughty naughty kiko. Besides isn't the mirror suppose to be on the CEILING? ROFLMHO

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

Oh gosh, no, no, no! I am NOT in a million years referring to valinsv's adorable room! It's just a random thought that pops into my mind sometimes when looking at certain bedrooms. Obviously I should have never, ever typed that!!! Sorry guys!

• shelende
    14 years ago

I love the bifold mirrored doors that came with my house. When folded, I can see how I look behind me, for ex. if my pants fit correctly in the seat.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Well, I still be anxious to see what you end up with, PNE. And, I'm totally convinced that I'll end up buying mirrored door for the inside of my closet someday soon.
    Lynn

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

kiko I knew you weren't. I just needed a laugh. I lost a friend this week to cancer. She was only 51. A close friends younger sister, so any laugh I can get... I know she's living in Glory now with no pain so I should be rejoicing for her, but I find myself crying for her family and two teen boys instead. Sorry if I embarrassed you. It was not my intent.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

OT, but, justgotabme, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. It is never easy, but it's especially tough when it's someone so young. (((justgotabme))) I know I would want my friends to be finding joy and laughter surrounding them, so sending all good thoughts your way.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thank you Cyn!

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

When I had them years ago I loved them, but remember the cleaning and hating it so much! I don't have them now, and don't miss them.

I was wondering about something....do the mirrors come out easy enough, or could it be broken and removed cardfully? I think it would be cute to use fabric in place of the mirror, using tension rods on top/bottom. Curtains could possiblly be purchased in the right size, or you might have to raise/lower the hem. You could even make your own, very full. Lace or any fabric would look cute. It shouldn't interfere with the movement of the doors and you could remeove for washing. Now I wish I had a set of mirrored doors! LOL

• hamsundm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh my gosh - I figured I'd get one or two responses on this! :)

ok - some more truth to divulge... we also have oak trim and doors. So I am also trying to break up a 'sea of oak' in my BR as well. So I do have multiple agendas here. We do have the intent of resale in the next few years and oak is still popular here, so painting/changing the oak isn't really in the cards. I would have 2 sets of bifold doors in a row. So it's not simply the lack of space in the room that has me contemplating alternate door options.

Kiko - I don't think anyone takes offense to your input. ;) But I do think that mirrors on the ceiling would raise more eyebrows than closet doors. LoL.

The mirrored door pics that were posted look quite nice and I appreciate those responses very much! Thank you Val and Hippie :)

OT again - justgotabme - I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I lost my bf to cancer 6 years ago at (her) ripe old age of 26. Cancer SUCKS - what more can anyone say than that.?.

• dirtymartini
    14 years ago

I am bummed...I did a search for a thread I started..."are mirrored closet doors woefully passe?" I could not find it.

Anyway, the general consensus was that yes, they are woefully passe....but if I really liked them, I should go for it. I did...because I just could not envision plain old wood bifold doors. Click on the link for a picture.

And yes, it was discussed that the doors reflect bedroom activity!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• megsy
    14 years ago

I've seen the mirrored doors framed in before and they were a bit cuter that way. Otherwise I agree that they're dated.

• bluestarrgallery
    14 years ago

I've never preferred mirrored closet doors, but that's just me. have them in my new (to me, but 1982 model) master and will promptly take them out when we move in next week.

but I just had to pipe in with - a house we looked at before we bought the one we just did - had "risque" pictures on the walls of the master bedroom; they were renters and i wondered if the owners knew about that - the house still hasn't sold.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus