SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

Backsplash Tile % waste

jaymielo
16 years ago

I'm hoping that one of the experienced tiling experts who frequents this forum can supply me with some advice. I'm ordering some custom hand painted tile for a kitchen backsplash and fireplace surround. The backsplash will be 3x6 subway with staggered joints. The fireplace will be 2x4 subway, again with staggered joints. This will be installed by a professional installer. We are building a house and our GC has assured me he has several reputable installers who can handle the project, even if they don't supply the tile. I would like to order the tile soon, since it requires significant lead time, to ensure it is on site when the installers are ready for it. So, my question is this... I want to make absolutely certain that I order enough tile to finish the project. I've heard to allow for 10% waste/breakage, possible more with the staggered joint. Are there any tile experts out there who can help me out. I'm a cautious person by nature. How much "extra" should I order? Thanks so much in advance. Jaymie

Comments (3)