SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb5_gw

The results of pie crust 101, or why I hate Thanksgiving

barb5
14 years ago

10:00 am, hit the kitchen feeling hopeful. Have decided on Martha Stewart's pate sucree, as I only have a bit of vodka and feel I need to save it for my Dad tomorrow who loves vodka martinis.

10:15, have reread the Pie Crust 101 post, cut my butter and put it in freezer, mixed up the flour (bought an organic white pastry flour) and sugar and put the FP bowl in freezer. Mixing the egg yolks and ice water.

10:45, process the first 8 T butter in a fine ground, then second 8 T to pea stage. Then start put in yolk/water mixture, but it says to do it with motor running, so everything ends up fine ground. Stop when crust stays together and do not use all the liquid. Cut crust in 2 and wrap each in plastic and put in fridge.

{{gwi:2086668}}

11:45, take crust out of fridge and put between 2 peices of wax paper. Try to roll it out but very hard as crust is hard. Keep trying to roll out this very hard stiff crust. Finally get it rolled out to where I think it will fit in pie dish. Try to take off wax paper, crust will not slip off paper.

{{gwi:2086669}}

12:00 noon, put rolled out dough, still between paper, in fridge.

12:30, check dough. Still sticking. Put dough in freezer.

1:00, Able to peel most of dough off of wax paper. Put in pie plate and patch holes as best I can.

{{gwi:2086670}}

1:30, Trying to figure out what temp and for how long to cook it. Recipe for pumpkin pie from Joy of Cooking does not give this info. Just says to place pie filling in baked pie crust. So, I look at an article from Fine Cooking and it says cook at 425 for 16 minutes.

1:45, pull pie crust from oven after I smell burning.

{{gwi:2086671}}

2:00, after drying my tears, I decide to put pie filling in a dish and bake it. Don't know if I have to as the recipe from Joy of Cooking (can't even type that without laughing hysterically at this point) doesn't say you do,but am having visions of guests getting salmonella from eggs in the recipe. So, go back to Fine Cooking and bake filling.

Sigh.... I hate Thanksgiving. It has become an annual humiliating experience me. Every year I am supposed to lovingly cook a traditional meal for all the relatives, and I do try my best, I really do. But the honest truth is that I cannot cook. I wish I could. I want to be able to. But the hard fact is that I cannot. And this is a meal that I don't even like. I am pretty much a vegetarian who needs a high fat meal like a hole in the head.

I have a fridge full of ice cream that I can dish out. The pie crust is in the garbage, and the filling does not taste very good. What a waste of 2 good sugar pumpkins. DH does the turkey. He learned years ago to take that on after several disasters, that I won't go into the details here on.

Thank you for listening. I still have so much else to do, it will be a late night. I am tired and discouraged. But I am thankful that at this time tomorrow, it will all be over, and I can go back to my life.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor