SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alku05

Best way to stabilize whipped cream?

alku05
16 years ago

I know, fresh is best by far, but sometimes that's just not possible.

We're hosting a celebratory mini dessert buffet Friday night, and the plans have evolved such that we're all meeting at a resteraunt for dinner beforehand. One of the things I have planned is chocolate mousse and would like to top them with piped whipped cream. Because of getting ready for dinner, waiting for a table, and getting back to our house, I'd like to stabilize the cream so that I can just whip the treats out of the fridge when we arrive instead of having to whip the cream with company in the kitchen. Also, I was figuring that any leftover whipped cream could be used to top coffee or after dinner drinks.

I've tried gelatin in the past, but everytime I've attempted it some of the gelatin gels before it gets incorperated so it has icky gelatin lumps in it. I've used commercial stabilizers before (dextrose based, I think) and have found that if I use half of the recommended amount the cream holds up with out getting that icky-weird texture. But those packets of stabilizers can be hard to find...I haven't seen any since before I moved out here to CA.

Any good solutions or ideas? Thanks!

Comments (24)