SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

What does this design say?

brutuses
16 years ago

My neighbor is redoing her kitchen. Actually my DH is doing the remodel for her. She's asked my opinion on tile and paint selections. I've given them and she's ignored all of them. LOL She's always talking about how much she loves country and "warm" rooms, yet all her choices are now pointing toward a very moders space. Here is what is going on in the kitchen. What style/feeling do you envision based on these selections.

White cabinets, light grey tile that looks like stone (6 x 6), for the counter and backsplash, black porcelain 18" tiles that look like high gloss marble with small white/gray veins for the flooring, light gray walls, stainless appliances and sink. Brushed nickle pulls, knobs and faucet. Lighting is simple flourescent.

I think this is far, far away from country. I think she was doing good until she decided on the light gray paint. With the white cabinets and gray tiles on the counter and backsplash, I think it will look pretty modern and cool, not warm and country.

I have never seen a gray kitchen before so I'm having a difficult time picturing this. What do you think?

She can't afford any granite or anything like that. She's on a very tight budget. Even with my DH giving her a considerable discount on his labor, her choices of materials are limited a bit.

My concern is her country kitchen will be screaming modern and will not even look like it belongs in her house. It's her house and she has to live in it. I just didn't want to see her make some bad design choices she'll regret later.

For years I lived with taupe walls and oak cabinets and wainscoting. Didn't realize how bad a match that was till you folks "enlightened" me. HA! Thanks for your help on this.

Comments (24)