SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Still can't decide so please vote

lyfia
16 years ago

I still can't decide how many panels to get and since I can't find the original ones we liked anymore I guess I can spend some more time looking.

I'm split 50/50. A few years from now I will add woodtrim to the windows, but it is a long time out as I see it now. We are also going to get a bed once we save up money. I put the current one DH and I agree on in one pic.

1. "Just on the ends". I like it because it looks simple and it would be cheaper to buy onle panels for the ends or do I need to double up on the ends as one panel may look like too little. It does seem a bit harsher though and I'm not fond of the drywall between the windows.

2. "Separating the windows". I like the softer feel it gives, but not so sure about it behind the bed. Like not seeing the drywall between, but somthing bothers me about it behind the bed.

Here are pics.

1. "just on the edges"

{{!gwi}}

No bed

{{!gwi}}

With a bed (not necessarily end choice)

{{!gwi}}

2. "separating the windows"

{{!gwi}}

No bed

{{!gwi}}

With a bed (not necessarily end choice)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (37)

• cindyloowoo
    16 years ago

My vote is for the panels separating the windows. It doesn't look like there is trim surrounding each window, is that right? Because each window is separated by wall space and it isn't one big triple or double window, I think the multiple panels give it more of a finished look.

• wisrose
    16 years ago

I like just the end panels best. I would really like to see a cornice across the top of the windows but I understand the money aspect probably curtails that idea.

• Related Discussions

I just can't decide which one I like best, vote.

Q

Comments (19)
    Well Ta Daaaaaaaaaa!!! Last Snowflake wins by a landslide. I figured it would since it just has to be my most favorite in the garden. Thanks for your votes, this was fun. Last Snowflake has to be my favorite Stamile daylily so far. I love all the early blooming daylilies and the eyed ones, but somehow this one just tugs at my heartstrings. If you don't have it, get it, it will not let you down. Ann had to get it last year after I raved about it, but I don't think hers has bloomed yet. Mary, I just cannot give Fringy away, it was too expensive, I know you were joking. I do have very many seed pods from Fringy, I put its pollen on anything fancy. Ann and I are working on a trade this fall, she is sending me a Talledaga fan for a Fringy fan. Dot
    ...See More

still can't decide about paint color

Q

Comments (9)
    Well, I guess I can't go wrong! I do think they all look nice. I don't know if you all saw my original post with the far wall painted blue (with the other walls beige). It is a little "out there" since there is no blue AT ALL in the kitchen, but there are a lot of blue accents in the adjacent family room. I have been stressing over it, but everyone who sees it really likes the blue. I am totally mixed up at this point, and not sure what to do, though leaning towards sticking with the blue for the time being. Nice to know I have several other good options though. I really appreciate all the opinions--thanks! (I would link to my other post with a photo of the blue wall, but I can't find it. It's late--time to go to bed!)
    ...See More

Pain color help.. Still can't decide...

Q

Comments (7)
    I did see the chandy, thank you. And no, I haven't made a decision yet on my lighting. Very hard to do, I'm trying to balance a more modern design with a "farmhouse" type of house. It's not an old farmhouse, just the style, sort of a traditional home. I can't even decide on a paint color for the foyer. I am becoming very good at knowing what gray won't look good, that is for sure! Right now there are about 8 poster boards hanging in my foyer all with different gray paints on them. Every time my dh goes by, I make him sit and stare at them with me. The kids are also subject to this test too. Anyway, thanks for the pictures of the chandy, I'm on the hunt, checking ebay the RH Outlet,etc. I'm also thinking about that other RH one, with the shades, circular too, can't remember the name of it though. Good luck with the kitchen and family room painting. Get it done soon so you don't start second guessing yourself!
    ...See More

Volga blue granite still can't decide on flooring and backsplash.

Q

Comments (2)
    Well, I too have a seriously gorgeous granite going into our guest bath (labradorite blue - it's a remnant I found at a fabricator : )), and I've had a devil of a time finding anything to go above it. Mostly I've decided I want an etched glass, with as few groutlines as possible (may do a big piece of etched glass from a glass fabricator) so as not to have anything reflecting into the granite. Pics I see online of your volga blue with various backsplashes show that the differences in color really reflect back onto the granite, looking a bit spotty to me. So I'd suggest looking into a plate glass, if possible. Simple, modern, non-competing.
    ...See More
  • mqmoi
    16 years ago

End panels only, definitely. This is enough to distract the eye from the strips of wall in between, and overall create a simpler, softer look. The multiple panels look "busy"--they create right angles with horizontal slats in the blinds and continue the direction of the floor boards onto the wall space.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like end panels only also, with or without the bed. I lean towards the bed if it's substantial enough, like the one you have there (ie, not a delicate metal one in front of the blinds, eg).

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Normally I would say seperate panels but I also think it looks a little busy. I think you might need a valance on top to unify everything.

• budge1
    16 years ago

I like the end panels without a bed. Separating panels with a bed. And I like the 3 panels on the window across from the bed.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

I like the end panels only, on both sets of windows.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Another vote for end panels only on both windows and I like the bed! ;c)

• budge1
    16 years ago

I know you didn't ask and you do have those horizontal blinds, but... have you considered doing the separating panels with a roman blind hung outside mount between each panel. I'd hang it as high as the curtain rod. I think this would make it look like a connected unit and less busy. Sorry if I've overstepped.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

I was once told....windows that are "together" get treated as one window. So, panels only on the ends for both windows. Since you havent hung them yet, it is difficult to tell if one panel on each end (particularly, the long window) is too skimpy. Its probably fine, its hard to tell when its "drawn" in. I would sew two panels together...or a panel and a half....if you feel its not enough.

• lorriekay
    16 years ago

panels separating the window with no bed in front of it :)

• mary_lu_gw
    16 years ago

I'm confused. Are there 2 windows or 3? In some of the pictures it shows 2 and in others it shows 3 windows.

Either way, I think end panels only, with a valance or a cornice as mentioned. The idea of outside mount shades would work as well to help unify the center.
    Marylu

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd like to see a more substantial window treatment. Full double-panels at the ends. If not a shade treatment between, then maybe paint or a paint and trim combo.

{{!gwi}}

• syllabus
    16 years ago

I like what Squirrel has done in pics 3 & 4.

If you paint faux trim around the windows in white until you get the funds/time to do real trim, it'll make the bank of windows look more unified.

So I guess I vote for ends only... w/ faux painted trimwork and a valance. :)

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've still got to tally the votes, but just wanted to comment on some of the other suggestions. Though I think I might have made up my mind seeing the fuller width on the edge. I think that is what I was missing. Thanks squirrelheaven - you always have such great ideas and good ways to show them.

The blinds are staying as I'm a function win over form and I'd hate to have to open close a shade as it is just open or closed, never the in between where you can wick it to stop direct sunshine and still have light.

There are two sets of windows in the room the 3 by the bed and then the other 2 with nothing in front of them.

I'm also not very fond of the valance and drapes combo. It always make me think formal and we are anything but and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable living with it. It looks great in the pics, but .... However I would be open to a valance only if that would be a better choice.

Although it looks really nice painted white in the pics in person it wouldn't look good at all. The corners are rounded drywall and it would stick out way more than it does now to people visiting. Drywall around the windows is the norm where we live. I prefer trim and will do that just like I changed my old house out, however I don't have the time as we have so many other things that need finishing first.

So now I guess edge panels with the fuller sides or just a valance?

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

One last idea, what if you put sheers covering whole window set and then some thick panels at the ends?

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I finally found the pic that made me want to have drapes instead of a valance, but do you think a valance would be better? I found it on here, but can't remember the user name.

This one doesn't have anything but drywall around the windows either.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Panels or valance, in different proportions. Forgot tall and wide on the panels!

HTH!

{{!gwi}}

• decorpas
    16 years ago

you have a great room and lots of light, so you're already in good shape. I've been down this road before with my own windows and finally watched some designer who explained why I didn't want the drywall showing. I hung inexpensive matchstick blinds and it completely changed the look!

I like the tall and wide Squirrel did. Knowing your issue with the blinds, I hate to throw out this idea, and yet I think somehow you need to address the drywall showing above the shades. It would look very unified to have one overmounted (and mounted higher) blind type thing. Such as matchstick blinds or whatever. I know you want to keep the blinds for function, so sorry about this....I am just struggling with the need to unify the windows. The inspiration picture shared one thing that helped to unify it, and that was they were tall windows, so the rod going all the way over and panels hanging in between windows worked well.

You need height to go with the long panels, which are very pretty and esp with that bed!

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven - you are not helping things (and I'm j/k). I like them all with the wider panels or the valances. Can I start a new vote on here?

Valance or wider drapes on the edge?? Keep in mind panels requires no work on my part and I'm on a budget so no hiring out. Also it will eventually have trim will the valance look funny then?

decorpas - around here everybody has the drywall showing if they do plain drapes so I guess I'm more used to seeing that and it doesn't bother me that much especially since I know it is temporary and I will put trim when other projects are finished. I understand your suggestion, but I can live with it looking a bit unfinished since I have an end goal in mind and can't afford to spend the money.

I'm trying to find something that works now and will look great when I have trim done.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven may I ask you how this style with multiple would look for the 3 windows and then maybe using panels for the two windows? Can I mix or would that be too much and just stick with the same for both windows.

I'm kind of leaning towards the valances now. I so wish I could make up my mind when it comes to decorating. I can pick floors and fixtures, countertops, etc. in a day, but this ...

I'm thinking about what decorpas said and this looks good with trim too and definetly not formal. Though it might be too much with the blinds already there?

{{!gwi}}

I didn't see one with a straight on shot. Going to see if I can find it in a search. This one was called drape shade from Pottery Barn.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is one that is straight on, but not exactly my style, but for seeing the shape it would work. Do you think you could help? I really appreciate your help so far and you've really made me see a complete different direction that I might not have listened to otherwise.

I'm kinda hardheaded that way ...

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Not to throw another option at you, but would faux-wood shutters (Lowes or HD) that you can install yourself be in your budget? Sometimes if your windows are standard you can find the size in stock. This would save you from having to add the trim plus it would unify all the windows. If you want, then you can some panels on the sides.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

I was ready to vote for just the side panels until I saw your inspiration picture. If you like the look, I definitely think it could work. If you decide you do not like the look you could always pull the panels to the side for a double width. Once you hang the panels you can ask for another vote with the two looks and the bed.
    I do agree you should rethink the rod height. I think that taking it up about 2/3 of the gap between window height and ceiling height would be pleasing.

I think you will be happier having a bedframe. To me, the window sil just above the pillows looks odd, not to mention uncomfortable.

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

I vote for: many panels with no bed. With bed, just end panels.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Still on panels : ) Your inspiration pic is gorgeous. I think they look better hung higher but do need something in the space above the window. Like in your inspiration pic. Also needed is some decorative pillows on the bed also, to bring the eye back to the bed. Otherwise, the focus seems to stay on the drapes! This is just paint, not trim. The lighter bands on the painted area (which are also a blue) could have a subtle pin stripe at the edge to transition/finish the edge; either darker or lighter than the band.

Re a headboard -- do you not sit up in bed? The windows/treatments would be awkward I think.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mayvenne
    16 years ago

Well, the inspiration picture is gorgeous, and now I can see what you are going for.
    part of what made it so special is the contrast of the wall color with the drapes, and also a little detail is the curve above the window which your bedroom does not have. I dont think that is a big point, but should be noted.
    I think that Squirrel changing the proportion and then adding the white pillow to play off the drapes works great. It is incredible how just adding those white pillows, for me at least, made it look so much better,
    great work there squirrel!

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

A few other looks you might want to consider to finish off the look:

drapes lower with crown molding above to dry the eye up--like in your inspiration photo

OR

drapes higher, w/ or w/o crown with the "gaps" filled in with either a scraft or a shirred valance, between the panels. This could go above the windows and come up to just after the windows start. This will give the illusion of added window height. Something like

Here is a link that might be useful: WT example

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are the shades. These were pretty much what I had in mind when I put the first ones in, just didn't stitch them all up : ) Trying at different heights and combinations.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'm wondering, with another set of double-windows on the side, if all those panels are going to be too much and really busy. I do like them at the bed though. I suppose if you finished the windows with shutters, drapes wouldn't be needed on the side ones.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirell - Thank you! Thank You! I really appreciate it, sorry I wasn't able to come back to it until now. To answer your question on sitting in the bed. No we don't. I can't even think of one instance when we have.

I really like a few of them. We'll never have pillows on the bed though like that although it looks nice they'd never be on the bed, but always on the floor (speaking from experience), however if we have a headboard I could plop up the current pillows.

I like this one as the height seems right for those

and I like the panel height in this one (but not sure about the shades or a valance with it as I lean towards simpler and non-formal looks) Would this as shown be too much with a headboard?

The wall height is 9' and I'm looking at 95-96" drapes if I go that route. It would leave a 1' gap which I think will be perfect once we finally add trim to windows and crown molding.

No shutters as I only like them with trim. Though everything looks odd to me on windows without trim. We choose between those and the 2" wood blinds initially and decided we wanted to be able to fully open without having shutters that swung out over the bed or in the traffic path on the other window.

We are getting a bed eventually just on a budget at the moment. The one I managed to fit in there is the current choice, though I think my scale is off when I did it.

The inspiration pics also have pics with just the flat part on top of the windows. In the ones I posted the dining area has that.

JCPenney has some tab tops on sale now so I guess I could get those and return if I don't like it in person when hung.

However if I then needed to go the shade route - will that mean I need to move the rod down as they will be slightly higher than the one shown above. I'd like to try to avoid too much stuff. Does the shades work with a headboard?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi Lyfia, sorry, got a little sidetracked and busy! Here is the height you liked with the panels and shades, but with the headboard. The second pic shows a little blue trim or fabric in the shade. I think it looks very pretty, myself. You just need to think about whether there would be too many panels in that area, and how to balance the white in the rest of the room so it isn't lopsided. Maybe there are some white doors or something on the other side.

In the small virtual, when I put it up, it did come across a bit like one of those swag valances, but I think irl when you can actually see they're casual it shouldn't look like that.

These are just regular pillows on the bed now. I think the light color more than anything brings more attention down to the bed, with the white panels. I did use ones with a simple ruffled edge (which of course I can't find now! thought JCP had them). Maybe you only like one pillow each, but two sleeping pillows each side might prop them up better. (I like lots of sleeping pillows : )

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrel Thank you!! Thank you!!! Sorry I got side tracked too and have been away for a several days so missed your response. I'm so glad you gave me a reminder in my other thread. I really like the panels and shade combos. I'm not sure what you mean by this the ruffled comment. Could you elaborate on which part you were talking about - pillow or drapes or shades?

There is white in the rest of the room to balance things. A 3ft door into the room and a 4ft section of doors to the bathroom. Reason I want white is I have so many different color duvets and I alternate them every couple of weeks so want to make sure nothing clashes. The one on the bed today is a blue with paisly trim around the edges. Also got one with green and blues, a goldish tan one and a khaki type. All except the gold one has some white in it. I have a thing for Duvets I guess and like to change them out depending on my mood.

LOL we currently have two sleeping pillows each, one for sleeping on and one for covering our heads when the neighbors dogs bark all night or to not hear the other person shower as we often have different hours.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You were saying how shams or decorative pillows simply remain on the floor, so you might just prop up your regular pillows on the bed. I was then just suggesting maybe a pretty standard pillowcase with, say, a ruffle along the edge (in the virtual). Could be anything really, I was just looking at some embroidered and striped edges too, but they were only showing sheets.

Here's a couple examples. It's just casual and simple.

Wide Edge Ruffle

Narrow Pleated Edge Ruffle

Funny, that's often what I use my extras for! Over my head, lol.

I, too, just determined this morning, that I must do duvets so I can just have a bunch -- for a lot of variety with beautiful fabrics and styles that I love. I just have too many ways I want to dress the bed and my room! It will be the only solution for me, I think.

Good luck with the windows and show us when you're done : ) Looks really pretty in there!

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I see what you mean now. I don't think the ruffles will fly with DH, but I would definetly plop the pillows up if we have a headboard. Don't like leaning stuff against the wall as it is now.

Yeah I love duvets. I grew up in Sweden and that is all we used and I love it since I can buy some fun ones too that makes me smile, but might be something I'd tire of if I saw it too often.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Could be anything decorative along the edge just so they look more like decorative pillows. The standard cases usually look pretty 'standard' to be propped up and displayed, lol : ) Maybe yours are pretty though, can't really see. With the light curtains, I think a light color on the cases will bring some focus back to the bed.

When I was looking for 'Swedish Country' for the bed paint, I read that Sweden is always dark and buried in snow. They said it was terribly boring! I never think of it that way at all. Is that true ??? I think light, fresh, sunny, happy, lol.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do have some shams that go with the Duvets. Guess I have to fix the pillows after DH makes the bed as he is pretty good about doing that after I take the sheets off for washing.

Well I'm from the Stockholm area and in the winter it is very dark and dreary but not snow all the time. Things are brighter when there is snow out, but I hated the slush that we had more from the snow and often it is rainy or overcast. Summers are great though and a lot of light. There are only a few hours of dark at night then. I really miss the summers even if they sometimes were rainy. I love all the lakes, ponds, and how green and clean everything looks compared to other countries, especially out in the country areas. I love spring and fall too over there. Just not a fan of winter or cold weather. Decorating inside homes tend to be on the lighter side to compensate for the dreary winters. Pale colors and whites make things look much brighter.