SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deechardonnay

Introducing a kitten to a 5 yr old Ragdoll

deechardonnay
17 years ago

I have a almost 5 year old Ragdoll. Her name is Chardonnay.

When she was younger I had planned on getting another pet as company for her, but at the time I was unable to.

Now I find that I could get another pet, but I am now unsure how she would handle it as she is a lot older and I must say I have spoilt her a bit. She is my family after all.

Anyway, I almost got a Burmese kitten yesterday, and I was wondering if I should be considering breeds and/or sex in finding the right cat that might get on better with Chardonnay.

If there are any stories or suggestions out there on what I should be considering or looking for, I would love to hear them.

To give you an idea of Chardonnay's character & temperament, not suure if this helps or not. She started out as being an indoor cat, as I was living in a flat at the time. She doesn't like being held for too long, but she is affectionate and loves being patted. She will follow me around a lot and she loves her toys. She is very playful and I even some times play chasing and hide & seek with her around the house. (She loves it!!!)

I did start letting her outside when I moved to a townhouse with a courtyard, at first it was great she loved it. She learnt to clime trees, and I always made sure she was inside by the time it got dark.

Originally she made a friend in the complex, a female Burmese. But after awhile, they started fighting and I believe Chardonnay was the dominant one who would attack the Burmese. After that time I had to keep Chardonnay inside again and I started taking her outside on a leash. At first she didn't like, but she got used to it and would eventually love to go out for a walk on the leash.

After a couple of years I have now moved to a house that has a big back yard and I have started letting her out by herself again. Chardonnay is absolutely loving this place.

Again I have her in by dark, and the majority of the time she stays where I can see her, but she does go exploring sometimes. I don't have to worry too much about her killing wildlife as the bids around here are aggressive, they will gang up and swoop her if she ventures too far.

I have seen 2 other cats in the neighborhood so far that have come into my backyard. It appeared that one of them actually chased Chardonnay back home.

Chardonnay sleeps on my bed with me at night (told you I spoil her), she has a scratching post which she adores.

And I have kitty litter and food etc. set up in the far corner of the kitchen for her.

Anyway, this is the backround of Chardonnay's life to get an understanding of what her character/temperament is like.

If you have some advice on what tyoe of kitten I should look out for, or whether you think I should not get a kitten etc. I would love to here from you.

Comments (4)