SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poplard

Helped needed for cosmetic update to bathroom

poplard
12 years ago

Hi there,

My Husband and I recently moved to a new home and have many projects to complete. We are doing the work ourselves and have tackled the kitchen, main floor flooring, trim, doors etc. Our next big projects are tearing up the green carpet from the stairs (replacing with hardwood) and adding a bathroom to the lower level.

These are bigger projects, meanwhile though I can barely stand to look at our totally functional but ugly main floor bathroom. We've decided to do a lower budget cosmetic update and hope that it will tide us over until the other, more pressing projects are done. We expect to do a full scale remodel of this bathroom in 2-5 years.

These photos were taken when the previous owners lived here.

Staying

The beige beige beige tub surround

Flooring (sorry, no great shots, it's not bad actually, light beige with grey and darker beige pebble like spots).

Mirror and light fixtures (not what I'd choose in the future but they'll do the trick for now!).

Cabinetry (but we'll be painting it Cloud White, we have leftover paint from the kitchen and are happy with it).

Going

Trim

Sink (will be white)

Faucet

Toilet (already gone, one of the first things Hubby replaced...he thought it was noisy. New toilet is white)

Countertop

That paint colour

Shower curtain and window treatment

Door (already gone with new one painted snowfall white I think, I can't keep all the BM white colours straight!!).

Heater

Any suggestions would be very helpful. The biggest stumbling block for me (admittedly, I don't visualize things well) is that beige tub surround. But it's staying for now. We'll do a full renovation another time but it's in good condition and keeping it will allow us to focus on other projects for now. We will have white cabinets, white trim, doors, etc. So I'm tempted to just pretend the tub surround doesn't exist, but I'm not sure that's wise.

Overall, I want it to look more bright and cheery vs. drab (so very drab). I'm drawn to cool blue/green spa like baths and I'm open to ideas on how to do that here, but perhaps that's best saved for the full reno. Wall colour and trim paint (which will be the snowfall white, again because it's what we have on hand) will make a huge difference as will countertop. I guess (after all this) what I'm looking for is wall colour, countertop (laminate for now), window treatment and shower curtain help. I'm open to anything that will brighten the space up a bit! I'm drawn to cool tones and my Husband prefers warm...either way, one of us will be happy and the other will compromise :)

Any thoughts? Our budget is around $500 but I bet we can do it for less!

Thanks in advance

Comments (7)