SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Preparing in advance for situation with neighbors dogs

debbiep_gw
17 years ago

This situation hasn't occurred yet but I'm sure it will soon.A little background info.We're moving to the country soon,we're buying a farmhouse and 2 1/2 acres of land.The closing is march 5th.The seller has three dogs on the premises but only claims two of them.She's moving out of state and can't take the dogs.Her two are a bulldog(not sure of the kind)he's one year old and named Rock.He's friendly and runs loose as well as Lulu a little tiny mixed breed dog that is a older dog,then theres the beagle that is very old that belongs to no one,a female that came up several years ago and lives from neighbor to neighbor she said.Everytime I've been out to the house and its been several times the beagle is laying on the back porch and she has a name(can't remember it)so she likes this house best I'm guessing.I inquired again this morning what were her plans about the dogs as I've asked her not to leave them for me.She has given them(her two) to the neighbor which will be my neighbor that is close to me which is practically in my backyard.We've had plans for a privacy fence on that side as they are messy and I like my privacy when out gardening plus they have small children that I won't have time to visit with right now.The beagle is just left for whomever.These neighbors do have a dog or two(small ones) and I haven't seen them running loose,I'm not sure if they stay in but I doubt they will keep all the dogs inside as its a small moblie home.Seller said she told them they would have to keep the dogs in their yards as I have my own dogs inside.These dogs were raised at the house which will be my home and it doesn't seem likely they are going to stay elsewhere if they are loose.As far as the beagle I haven't decided.I'm partial to hounds(I have two bassetts)but I can't give her the care she deserves so I will try to find her a good home probably.The seller does have a cat but she has already moved her to SC.My thoughts are what am I'm going to do about the other two dogs if they are not contained.I really prefer them not to come over in my yard.They had no health care and then theres the fleas and parasites.I work really hard at trying to keep my dogs flealess and healty.My dogs do stay inside but they go out with me to work outside and they will have a fenced area at some point but in the meantime they will never be loose or unsupervised outside.I probably will end up being labeled the mean,unfriendly neighbor.I'm just getting opinions in advance on how to deal with this when the dogs want to come back to the home that was once their home.Eventually my yard will be fenced not the whole two acres but the part used for yard space.Another thing the neighborhood dogs use the large front porch to sleep on,it totals to about 5 to 7 dogs in all.I saw this one morning when I drove up the lane to the house early and there they were all laid out sleeping.This is a neighborhood where dogs roam free and theres going to be no changing that(you'd have to live here to understand that)we have no strict rules for animals in the county nor city for that matter.I'm hoping this situation doesn't play out like this,maybe the neighbors will keep the dogs contained,as of now they have no fence up either and they have only been in the neighborhood two months themselves...Debbie

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert