SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathrugg

Kitchen Color Change Needed--Help!!

cathrugg
16 years ago

Our kitchen is currently painted SW Blonde. I thought this was the perfect color but it's not. It only looks good during the afternoon when there is a shadow of sunlight coming in. In the morning and at night, it looks like an awful orange-yellow color and I think it's the trim that makes it scream. It looks beautiful in other homes on this site and I was so envious. It's just not the color for this house.

DH says I get one chance to repaint it so I better get it right!

Our kitchen connects to our family room (RL Kilim Red-reads burgundy), our dining room (a Raspberry color) and our living room (Behr Olive Vine-reads bright olive green). The hallway is painted a beigy/tan color.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Of course, I immediately thought green or red but we already have so much of that going on. I can't seem to think outside of the box on this one.

Here are a couple of pics of the Blonde from when we first painted it and were still working on it. I don't have any current pics on this computer!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cathrugg

Comments (21)

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Have you looked at some of the greens in the gallery thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: Greens

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Funny, it looks very pretty in the pics. Maybe it needs to grow on you. Blonde is very gold, maybe a more subtle version would work better....if you are looking to stay in that color range. I think you are on the right color tract based on the adjoining room colors. I like the old SW color stick better. Look at stick 18, it has a color called Autumn Blonde, which is a light golden brown. Stick 17, has a pretty color called Raffia Basket. You mentioned the hallway is a beige color, can you choose a darker or lighter color from that color stick?

• creekylis
    16 years ago

What about BM Lenox Tan? A search will find you pics.

• mailynn
    16 years ago

Hi

I struggled with choosing a new color for my kitchen. I have similar cabinets ( more orange ). I did not want to go green since I have a light floor and wanted to keep the wall and floor color a similar shade ( I love a monochromatic scheme with little color contrast, ) and I finally settled on BM quincy tan. It does have greenish but not glaringly green but enough to bring out the cabinet color, tie in with my floor tiles and not make the kitchen look dark. I have white appliances so I did not want them to stand out as stark and cold.

mai lynn

• msrose
    16 years ago

Can you take a picture of the LR so we can see what that green looks like?

Laurie

• cathrugg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of the green (I really like it). It's not as bright as the first one looks, I think it was the flash.

I thought about doing the beige like my hallway has but it just seems like it might wash out. I tried Lenox tan already and it doesn't look good with the orangey trim.

Thanks for everyone who replied so far!!!

• carolj79
    16 years ago

I really like the SW blonde in your kitchen, especially the way it shows in the first picture. My DH just started taking the border off in our kitchen tonight. I have similar cupboards to yours, mine are ash (more orangey as they've aged) with a medium oak laminate flooring. I thought a yellow/gold wouldn't look good with mine but may have changed my mind now that I have seen your walls. OT where did you find that chandelier above your table? Mine just broke and now that needs a replacement. Yours fits well in the space and love the lines of it. Thanks for the info and good luck! Keep us posted on your color choice.

• msrose
    16 years ago

That's a really tough one. I think green would look good with your cabinets, but I'm not sure it goes with your countertop. I was thinking you could repaint the LR in a lighter green and then use that same green in the kitchen. EK Edgewood Green is a popular color for the kitchen. I found a post that shows several green kitchens.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Green kitchens

• startbright
    16 years ago

I have similar color cabinets and used bm sandy brown. It takes on just a touch of a gold color and looks great in rooms with a lot of sun.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I really like how your photo's look - if I am getting a true representation.

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

I just painted our living room paneling BM Twilight Gold. We also have oak floors and all wood trim. Just a thought to try. Also, they did have it in those little pots, so you can try it without a big expense.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Did you ever consider fauxing over the blonde?

• cathrugg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the replies!!!

I don't think green would go at all with our counters either. Our kitchen used to be a light brown and caramel color (previous owners) so I am thinking light brown might be the answer...

Carolj 1979---the chandelier is from Home Depot. I love it, love it. The one in the first picture is the one they sell in the store, we had to special order the black (and we have the black pendant over our sink).

I like the Blonde in the first picture I put above, it's the 2nd one with the BRIGHT sun that makes me want to cry. It's just SO yellow!!

I can't ask DH to repaint the living room as he just finished it a couple of months ago lol.

Anyone have thoughts on me doing the kitchen a burnt orange (more red) color? DH said he'd be willing to that but he'd have to repaint the Raspberry dining room as it would definitely clash...

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Your kitchen looks so pretty!! But, I understand that irl the color isn't working for you. But you are on the right track with the current shade!!

Maybe you need to look at other goldy tans as it sounds like this works with your flow of colors.

BM Wilmington tan, lenox tan, powell buff, pittsfield buff. Go look at their historical colors.

(atleast it would only take 1 coat of paint!!0
    Smiles:)

• parma42
    16 years ago

Johnatemp is correct. I tested BM Wilmington Tan, Powell Buff, Pittsfield Buff and SW Blonde. We went with the Blonde because unlike you, we were going for more of a gold than a tan.

The Wilmington is a bit darker than the other two and Powell has one less shot of the gold in the formula than the Pitt.

Hope that helps.

• carolj79
    16 years ago

Cathrugg, Thanks for info. on chandelier above your table. That was the one I liked from HOme Depot and it really helped me (I'm so visual) to see it in a picture like yours. I still haven't decided on a paint color either-it is so hard when cupboards have that orangey cast to them. Greens do tone down the orange in the cupboards, and I think a blue would also. Orange color family will just highlight it IMHO. Keep us posted!

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

Sorry to disagree w/ carolj, but a blue would make the orange tones MORE orange (complementary colors) so I wouldn't go there. Since you have such strong colors surrounding the kitchen, I'd go neutral in the kitchen, which seems to be your inclination anyway. Pick up one of the beige tones from your counters -- as others have suggested, check out the BM historical colors. Lots of nice beiges there. Or maybe something like Monroe Bisque? Putnam Ivory? Shaker Beige?

• wisrose
    16 years ago

I really like this dark color with light cabs. it is "fudge bar" by Behr color

these are not my photos...they came from the 'browns and taupes' gallery

• carolj79
    16 years ago

Hi Cathrugg, Have you repainted your kitchen or did you decide to keep the SW blonde? I am still contemplating the color for my kitchen but need to pick something soon. Would love to see pics if you changed your paint color. Thanks!

• klavr
    16 years ago

Hi Cathrugg - I am so happy to know I am not alone! I too just had to repaint my kitchen. So much fun!! My DH wanted to just about kill me... Needless to say, I am in the process of re-painting it all by MYSELF! We had originally painted it a green and it was just too drab for our kitchen. We don't get much light and with the darker furniture and coutertops just didn't do anything. We decided to go with a much lighter cream color called Clamshell with a reddish brown accent wall called Chocolate curl. I am loving it.. Here are some pics.

• cathrugg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was so surprised to see this topic at the top!

No, I havent started this project yet.........DH was on a trial for jury duty and things just got put to the side.

AND...I know there is NO turning back once we paint a sample....I can't live with things in disarray!

Before I paint the sample of BM Mudslide, I am trying to figure out if I want a lighter beiger color. I am just afraid of how it will look with the "orange" trim (it looks so orange with the blonde...)

I changed the subject with DH and got him to put down new vinyl tile bathroom floor and agree to change our vanity countertop and sink...I will slowly toss the kitchen paint back at him soon lol.

The Blonde is such a pretty color (this site was my inspiration), I just think it needs to be with white trim.