SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepoco

Any suggestions for a 'sickish' dog? (long)

ilovepoco
16 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any symptoms like the following in a dog:

* Generally listless

* Frequent bouts of not eating, or very picky eating, interspersed with a normal, healthy appetite

* Lethergy, interspersed with normal terrier-level activity

* Bouts of shivering that do not appear to be related to the temperature or weather

* Frequent stiffness while walking, often walks with head and tail down and ears back

* When she is not feeling well, she is fearful and clingy

Background: She's a 10-year-old Jack Russell Terrier female, with no particular health issues other than these symptoms. Was bred 3 times with no complications, then was spayed around the age of 5. Has always been very very athletic and active, mentally sharp and occasionally semi-aggressive to other dogs - not a shrinking violet!

The symptoms listed above have worsened recently BUT PREDATED by a year or two the long illness and eventual putting down of our other JRT last fall at age 15. Although the 2 dogs were not close buddies, they were constant companions in each others' lives for 10 years. This dog just fell apart at the death of the other, at first sleeping for days, followed by some major hot spot licking (fully resolved with topical treatments and putting her in an E-collar temporarily), but she is still exhibiting a major drop in activity levels (except when out on walks or runs in the woods). It seems obvious (to me, at least) that there is an emotional/depressive component to her current state.

She has had gastric issues for years - specifically she has always (as far back as I can remember) put herself on occasional 1-2 day fasts, followed by normal eating the rest of the time. Often, I can hear major gurgling and gassy sounds in her gut when she is not feeling well. Stool and bowel habits normal, and no parasites ever detected.

She gets all recommended health care throughout the year. She's been checked out for this problem several times and no issues came up in her latest blood work done in December. We've since changed vets (returned to her long-time vet who left when the practice was sold several years ago.) Her new/old vet treated her in January for an infected lymph node in her groin - apparently completely resolved with 2 weeks of prednisone and antibiotics to resolve the swelling and irritation/licking. She's been on a daily Pepcid for awhile now, but I'm not sure if it's helping at all. She's always eaten supermarket dog food, but I'm in the process of trying to find a healthier dog food for her.

I'm scheduling her for another vet visit, but just going to the office revs her up enough so that she isn't such a sad sack when we get there, and displays none of the symptoms listed.

I was wondering if any of this rings a bell with anyone. I'm assuming she has some kind of chronic digestive problem, compounded by the emotional and psychological issues from suddenly finding herself the only dog. (We're getting a new puppy in about 2 weeks, which we anticipate will help with the depression, even if it just riles her up to have a new dog underfoot all the time :o))

Thanks for your input.

Susan

Comments (8)