SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solsthumper

Ann and Nancy...

Solsthumper
16 years ago

...according to the recipe, this yields 8 crumpets, but I always get a baker's dozen. The same thing happens when I make Dirt Bombs. I can't explain either phenomenon. [G] Enjoy.

Crumpets

1 teaspoon fresh compressed yeast*

1/3 cup (2.5 ounces) lukewarm water

2/3 cup whole milk

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 large egg

1¾ cup unbleached AP flour

pinch of salt

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

Stainless Steel Rings**

Combine the yeast and warm water in your mixer bowl, and allow the yeast to dissolve. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Whip until smooth, about 5 minutes. This step will create air bubbles that will give the crumpets their characteristic texture and appearance.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm spot. Allow the mixture to ferment for 1 hour. It should double in size and be full of air bubbles.

Spray a frying pan with cooking vegetable spray (I use my indoor grill pan - smooth side up, and brush with vegetable shortening).

Also spray the insides of four 3-inch stainless steel rings or plain cutters with cooking spray and place these on the frying pan. Vigorously mix the batter with a wooden spoon and drop a large tablespoon of the batter into each ring, enough to completely cover the bottom of the rings.

When you see the air bubbles rise to the top of each crumpet and burst, the crumpets are ready to be flipped. Remove each ring carefully (they're hot) and flip each crumpet over to cook the other side. Cool on a wire rack.

And as I mentioned on the WFD thread, these are traditionally served whole, (as opposed to English Muffins which are split open), but in one of my pictures it was split to show its interior. I toast them and serve with lots of butter or jam, placed on the nooks and crannies side. The English also serve them with clotted cream. Make a pot of tea, and enjoy, pinkie up.

* Active dry yeast is fine.

**I only have 4 pastry rings, not enough for this recipe. so I improvise with heavy duty aluminum foil. Take a sheet of foil, about 8-9 inches in length, and fold into a 1½" strip. Wrap around a pastry ring to calculate its diameter and staple the ring together. These will be sturdy enough to use several times over.

If you don't want to bother with either, you could use clean tuna cans, with top and bottom lids removed.

Sol

Comments (7)